Da Nang Hats and Non Military

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

fenderjapan
Ensign

Da Nang Hats and Non Military

#1 Post by fenderjapan »

So, I am a Magnum fan, and I am not a veteran.

I would love to wear the Da Nang hat. I read the thread about "not wearing the Da Nang hat in Chinatown".

My bigger concern... is wearing such a hat considered offensive to those who served in Vietnam? Anyone who looks at me for 2 seconds can tell I was never a veteran... nor would I pretend to be one. Just a magnum fan.

Thoughts?

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Da Nang Hats and Non Military

#2 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

fenderjapan wrote:So, I am a Magnum fan, and I am not a veteran.

I would love to wear the Da Nang hat. I read the thread about "not wearing the Da Nang hat in Chinatown".
My bigger concern... is wearing such a hat considered offensive to those who served in Vietnam? Anyone who looks at me for 2 seconds can tell I was never a veteran... nor would I pretend to be one. Just a magnum fan.
Thoughts?
What's important is immediately setting anyone straight who "thanks you for your service".
Just say you wear the cap to honor those who served 50 years ago and as a fan of Magnum PI.
The WW 2 battleship USS New Jersey, moored in Camden, sells Navy hats as a fund raiser and nobody jumps on the tourists for wearing them.
What's objectionable is some sad soul going around pretending to be a veteran.
I worked with a 82nd vet from the 60's who would regale us with stories of him stripping off jump boots from knot heads in Hay street(Fayetteville) bars
pretending to be paratroopers to seem tough, which is nothing like what you are doing.
If you want to be absolutely safe, you could wear a tri cornered hat from the Revolutionary War's 1st New Jersey regiment, the "Jersey Blues". :)
Welcome to Magnum Mania.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Fri May 08, 2020 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

fenderjapan
Ensign

#3 Post by fenderjapan »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
fenderjapan wrote:So, I am a Magnum fan, and I am not a veteran.

Thoughts?
What's important is immediately setting anyone straight who "thanks you for your service".
Just say you wear the cap to honor those who served 50 years ago and as a fan of Magnum PI.
The WW 2 battleship USS New Jersey, moored in Camden, sells Navy hats as a fund raiser and nobody jumps on the tourists for wearing them.
What's objectionable is some sad soul going around pretending to be a veteran.
I worked with a 82nd vet from the 60's who would regale us with stories of him stripping off jump boots from knot heads in Hay street(Fayetteville) bars
pretending to be paratroopers to seem tough, which is nothing like what you are doing.
If you want to be absolutely safe, you could wear a tri cornered hat from the Revolutionary War's 1st New Jersey regiment, the "Jersey Blues". :)
Welcome to Magnum Mania. Where everyone is nice. Well, mostly.
Thank you :)

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#4 Post by The Birdman »

What does the "VMO2" mean on the hat?
As for wearing the hat, if you're an adult I'd say don't wear any military stuff other than camo.
If you like the hat, buy one and hang it on the wall.
I am a veteran by the way.
Uh PHRASING!!!!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#5 Post by Pahonu »

The Birdman wrote:What does the "VMO2" mean on the hat?
As for wearing the hat, if you're an adult I'd say don't wear any military stuff other than camo.
If you like the hat, buy one and hang it on the wall.
I am a veteran by the way.
It’s a deactivated Marine Corps Observation Squadron, number 2 dating back to WWII.