A Full Inventory of Thomas Magnum's Shirts

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: A Full Inventory of Thomas Magnum's Shirts

#91 Post by T.Q. »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:46 am
Hey TQ, we were born the same year. You just had a birthday and I’ll be 50 in the fall. I also used to watch MASH reruns in high school, but they were on late at night, like 10:00 or 11:00. Can’t say that I admired Honeycutt’s clothes, or any of them for that matter, :lol: but it’s a great show. Some of my friends watched it too.
Wow... old man.

Sorry, I only hang around with the younger crowd. :lol:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Kee
Lieutenant

#92 Post by Kee »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:43 pm I used to watch M*A*S*H reruns after school everyday and BJ had the same one only pink. Always liked them.
M*A*S*H fans in here too? This is a hell of a place! :P

I watched the reruns too but my favorite seasons were seasons one through three. You can't beat the original cast.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#93 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:42 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:46 am
Hey TQ, we were born the same year. You just had a birthday and I’ll be 50 in the fall. I also used to watch MASH reruns in high school, but they were on late at night, like 10:00 or 11:00. Can’t say that I admired Honeycutt’s clothes, or any of them for that matter, :lol: but it’s a great show. Some of my friends watched it too.
Wow... old man.

Sorry, I only hang around with the younger crowd. :lol:
:lol:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#94 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Kee wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:52 pm
T.Q. wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:43 pm I used to watch M*A*S*H reruns after school everyday and BJ had the same one only pink. Always liked them.
M*A*S*H fans in here too? This is a hell of a place! :P

I watched the reruns too but my favorite seasons were seasons one through three. You can't beat the original cast.
Yeah. There always seems to be some crossover between Magnum and MASH fans. I also enjoy the early seasons.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#95 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Sorry fellas, never could get into M*A*S*H. I never "got" the humor on the show. Every time Alan Alda made some remark and you would hear the laugh track and I'd be sitting there :| . Was I supposed to laugh? Honestly it's the only TV "comedy" I've ever experienced this with. I mean I love ALL IN THE FAMILY (from the same era) and I find it absolutely hilarious. But not this show. Is the humor too subtle for me? Oh well...

Styles Bitchley

#96 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #32 (Adelaide (1.14))
Blue Western-style Wrangler cotton shirt

Okay, so I got caught up by this one and set this project aside for a while. I think I was annoyed that I can see that there's a logo on right breast pocket, but it's never legible enough to read. My first thought was Wrangler, of course, but all Wrangler shirts have the logo on the left breast pocket. If anyone has any leads on the exact shirt, please chime in. [Update: Successfully identified by Keleko as a vintage Wrangler] In the meantime, if you're lookin' to rock the Magnum cowboy look, this shirt by Stetson is probably close enough.

Interestingly enough, Magnum wears a whack of previously seen shirts in the rest of this episode, including the green tank top, the field shirt, the classic Jungle Bird, beige cable knit sweater, and the KKC tank top. Interestingly enough, in one scene there's a shot showing the KKC tank with a logo of some kind on the upper left side. It looks like three coloured circles linked together in the way the Olympic Rings are linked. I vaguely remember this being discussed on the forum at some point in the past...

Ring any bells for anyone?

Last edited by Styles Bitchley on Wed May 19, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#97 Post by Pahonu »

Thanks again Styles. I’ve always wondered about an explanation for TM having western boots and clothing. Selleck has a history of being in westerns and owns a ranch, but Magnum is supposed to be from the Tidewater region, then settled on Oahu after Vietnam. Of course, Detroit isn’t very close to the Tidewater region either. TM might have been a Senators or Orioles fan but Selleck was born in Detroit.

Styles Bitchley

#98 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:22 pm Shirt #32 (Adelaide (1.14))
Blue Western-style cotton shirt

Okay, so I got caught up by this one and set this project aside for a while. I think I was annoyed that I can see that there's a logo on right breast pocket, but it's never legible enough to read. My first thought was Wrangler, of course, but all Wrangler shirts have the logo on the left breast pocket. If anyone has any leads on the exact shirt, please chime in. In the meantime, if you're lookin' to rock the Magnum cowboy look, this shirt by Stetson is probably close enough.

Interestingly enough, Magnum wears a whack of previously seen shirts in the rest of this episode, including the green tank top, the field shirt, the classic Jungle Bird, and the KKC tank top. Interestingly enough, in one scene there's a shot showing the KKC tank with a logo of some kind on the upper left side. It looks like three coloured circles linked together in the way the Olympic Rings are linked. I vaguely remember this being discussed on the forum at some point in the past...

Ring any bells for anyone?

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#99 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Good question. But really anyone can have that sort of attire kicking around. Even I have a nice cowboy hat tucked away somewhere!

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#100 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:29 pm Good question. But really anyone can have that sort of attire kicking around. Even I have a nice cowboy hat tucked away somewhere!
I would say the look isn’t very common in Long Beach. I can’t even think of the last time I saw someone in a cowboy hat around here. It would really stand out. Of course TM’s aloha shirts would likely really stand out in Wyoming, for example.

Styles Bitchley

#101 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:37 pm
Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:29 pm Good question. But really anyone can have that sort of attire kicking around. Even I have a nice cowboy hat tucked away somewhere!
I would say the look isn’t very common in Long Beach. I can’t even think of the last time I saw someone in a cowboy hat around here. It would really stand out. Of course TM’s aloha shirts would likely really stand out in Wyoming, for example.
Lol. For sure. I have to say that mine is only worn ironically or when in need of an easy Halloween costume. But in some strange way it does make me feel like I’ve got bigger balls.

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#102 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:18 am
Pahonu wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:37 pm
Lol. For sure. I have to say that mine is only worn ironically or when in need of an easy Halloween costume. But in some strange way it does make me feel like I’ve got bigger balls.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Keleko
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#103 Post by Keleko »

It definitely looks like a Wrangler shirt--you can see the "W" stitching on the pocket here, and also just make out the old-style Wrangler logo on the tag:

But like you said, what's really puzzling is the tag being on the right pocket. It even looks like it might have stitching either side of a pen slot just above the tag. Was this a special shirt made for left-handers? :lol:

Styles Bitchley

#104 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Keleko wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:11 am It definitely looks like a Wrangler shirt--you can see the "W" stitching on the pocket here, and also just make out the old-style Wrangler logo on the tag:

But like you said, what's really puzzling is the tag being on the right pocket. It even looks like it might have stitching either side of a pen slot just above the tag. Was this a special shirt made for left-handers? :lol:
Nicely done! That shot in the chopper really shows the logo decently enough to make out the Wrangler pattern. Must just be some oddball version. Do you think they’d possibly stitch the Wrangler logo onto a standard blue button down just to make it look more like a cowboy shirt? I bet it’s possible...and possible they put it on the wrong side!

- J.Q.H.

Keleko
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#105 Post by Keleko »

Interesting. Looks like it may have been a regular production item for a while: