A Full Inventory of Thomas Magnum's Shirts

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Algernon Farnsworth
Lieutenant Commander

Re: A Full Inventory of Thomas Magnum's Shirts

#136 Post by Algernon Farnsworth »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:55 pm Shirt #15 (No Need to Know (1.5))
V-neck twisted cable knit sweater in beige.

Of course, Magnum wears it without a shirt underneath. This could very well be a light shade of yellow. It's hard to tell if the tinting is just my screen.
This might be a cotton sweater. There was a trend in Bermuda for selling cotton cable-knit v-neck sweaters as beach cover-ups -- a sort of joke because Bermuda was British but did not really have wool sweater weather. By the late 1970s, I think that cotton sweaters were popular enough that they had left Bermuda and become a more commonplace thing... I could certainly see Magnum being exposed to these through Higgins. :)

GunnyF
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#137 Post by GunnyF »

The military epaulet shirts (green khaki Light Blue) were being produced by Filson. No longer being made but you can still find them on eBay. They are actually called the “Magnum Shirt”.
Erv

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#138 Post by Aloha Friday »

I recall Polo (Ralph Lauren) had those shirts in the 1980s...I wanted one but could afford the price unless it was an "irregular" sold at the outlets. I had a couple of the polo shirts from the outlet store and the embroidered polo player was either incomplete or in the wrong location on the breast area. Also had the LeTigre instead of Lecoste.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#139 Post by terryfromkerry »

terryfromkerry wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:45 am
Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:50 pm Shirt #13 (No Need to Know (1.5))
Paradise Found "Star Orchid" aloha shirt in black.

In No Need to Know, we see some familiar shirts from the pilot, including the navy Lacoste and the khaki military shirt (#4) - maybe this was filmed just after Don't Eat the Snow? Later in the episode we get a first glimpse at what would become another fan favourite, the Black Star Orchid. Fortunately, Paradise Found is still producing these ones (unlike the green variant).
Hi Styles,
Paradise Found have recently added a Navy Star Orchid.https://www.alohaoutlet.com/us/en-us/it ... EstShip=ES
Hopefully the green variant might return again at some point. :magnum:
Hi guys,
Paradise Found have just recently added the Star Orchid in "periwinkle" to its collection. I recieved mine this morning. I am very happy with it. Who knew periwinkle was a colour. I am still hopeful there might be a green Star Orchid version at some point as worn by TS in the first 2 seasons. :magnum:
https://www.alohaoutlet.com/us/en-us/it ... CatId=1153
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#140 Post by Aloha Friday »

I keep getting tempted by the Navy Blue one...but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I would jump on the green if it ever came available though.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#141 Post by Pahonu »

I would love to get the green version some day, but find both the navy and black versions excellent.

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#142 Post by Mr. Greene »

Anyone have a lead on where to get the Naval Academy t-shirt he wore on the show. Tried looking at the gift shop at Annapolis with no luck

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#143 Post by Aloha Friday »

Finding one with the logo on the back would be difficult, but maybe if you contacted one of the vendors they could do a custom job for you. Otherwise ebay may be your only hope to find a vintage one.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#144 Post by Mr. Greene »

Thanks

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#145 Post by Mr. Greene »

Thinking of making one of the Naval Academy shirts like worn on the show. Anyone interested in going in with me? Working on the design now, any suggestions or help. Color of shirt I believe would be grey and logo in black but I could be wrong. Probably be about $30 shipped in the US

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#146 Post by Aloha Friday »

The green star orchid shirt is now available from Paradise Found, the original manufacturer...slightly larger pattern than the original, but nice still.
Last edited by Aloha Friday on Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#147 Post by Aloha Friday »

I pulled the trigger.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#148 Post by terryfromkerry »

Congratulations Aloha Friday on your purchase of the green star orchid shirt. The Holy Grail of MPI attire. Can I ask the name of the online store you used. I have tried several online stores who have the shirt in stock but do not ship to Spain. Mahalo
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#149 Post by Aloha Friday »

I used Aloha Funwear: https://alohafunwear.com/collections/me ... ian-shirts
Good luck...hopefully they will ship to Spain.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#150 Post by terryfromkerry »

Mahalo for the info :)