A Full Inventory of Thomas Magnum's Shirts

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: A Full Inventory of Thomas Magnum's Shirts

#121 Post by terryfromkerry »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:50 pm Shirt #13 (No Need to Know (1.5))
Paradise Found "Star Orchid" aloha shirt in black.

In No Need to Know, we see some familiar shirts from the pilot, including the navy Lacoste and the khaki military shirt (#4) - maybe this was filmed just after Don't Eat the Snow? Later in the episode we get a first glimpse at what would become another fan favourite, the Black Star Orchid. Fortunately, Paradise Found is still producing these ones (unlike the green variant).
Hi Styles,
Paradise Found have recently added a Navy Star Orchid.https://www.alohaoutlet.com/us/en-us/it ... EstShip=ES
Hopefully the green variant might return again at some point. :magnum:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#122 Post by Styles Bitchley »

terryfromkerry wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:45 am
Hi Styles,
Paradise Found have recently added a Navy Star Orchid.https://www.alohaoutlet.com/us/en-us/it ... EstShip=ES
[/quote]

That's actually really nice in blue. Thanks for sharing, Terry! Hope you're well.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#123 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #33 (Don't Say Goodbye (1.15))
Purple Calla Lily Aloha Shirt (V1)

Magnum's Aloha shirts are legendary. The purple calla lily makes a lot of appearances over the years, but this is the first appearance. Interestingly, with more foliage and less lily, it's different from the ones used in later seasons. The BAMF Style website has a very good write up of the shirt and includes details I didn't know before, including “According to Pacific Clothing Company (the manufacturer of this shirt) Tom Selleck himself came to their showroom in downtown Honolulu back in the 1980s and personally picked out this shirt.” Nevertheless, the site states that the first appearance of the shirt was season two's Memories Are Forever. Paradise Found carries the purple calla lily today, but it is more lily and less leafy than what i'll call "V1" featured in Don't Say Goodbye."

For comparison, here's an example of V2 from Memories are Forever.

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#124 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:07 pm Shirt #33 (Don't Say Goodbye (1.15))
Purple Calla Lily Aloha Shirt (V1)

Magnum's Aloha shirts are legendary. The purple calla lily makes a lot of appearances over the years, but this is the first appearance. Interestingly, with more foliage and less lily, it's different from the ones used in later seasons. The BAMF Style website has a very good write up of the shirt and includes details I didn't know before, including “According to Pacific Clothing Company (the manufacturer of this shirt) Tom Selleck himself came to their showroom in downtown Honolulu back in the 1980s and personally picked out this shirt.” Nevertheless, the site states that the first appearance of the shirt was season two's Memories Are Forever. Paradise Found carries the purple calla lily today, but it is more lily and less leafy than what i'll call "V1" featured in Don't Say Goodbye."

For comparison, here's an example of V2 from Memories are Forever.

Thanks again Styles!

Those two photos seem to show entirely different prints with different colors and details. The later shirt has no green or red visible and some leaves have tendrils. Even though they are the same cal a lily theme, they seem to be different artwork. Is this the only appearance of the first shirt?

Styles Bitchley

#125 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Honestly, I’m not sure if it’s the only one. It’s interesting that it’s the same concept but different execution. It’s certainly not the same print though.

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#126 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #34 (The Black Orchid (1.16))
Black Dress Shirt (with collar pin and cream silk tie)

Okay, so not really a Magnum shirt, as he'd probably not be caught dead wearing it if he weren't getting paid, but shirt number 34 nevertheless. Looks like a classic black dress shirt with a vintage collar pin. I think it's one of the few times where even Tom Selleck can't sell the look. Looks like they couldn't even find a hat big enough for him to wear!

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#127 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:03 pm Shirt #34 (The Black Orchid (1.16))
Black Dress Shirt (with collar pin and cream silk tie)

Okay, so not really a Magnum shirt, as he'd probably not be caught dead wearing it if he weren't getting paid, but shirt number 34 nevertheless. Looks like a classic black dress shirt with a vintage collar pin. I think it's one of the few times where even Tom Selleck can't sell the look. Looks like they couldn't even find a hat big enough for him to wear!
I think part of the problem with the hat’s fit is that Selleck has a lot of wavy thick hair. In the later Flashback episode, he brushes it down and almost parts it so it sits flatter like many men’s hair of that era which was typically shorter or slicked down. I’ve thought this before about other times I’ve seen more modern hairstyles with traditional men’s hats. They just don’t go together… and would probably result in some serious “hat head” when taken off! :lol:

Styles Bitchley

#128 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:30 am
I think part of the problem with the hat’s fit is that Selleck has a lot of wavy thick hair. In the later Flashback episode, he brushes it down and almost parts it so it sits flatter like many men’s hair of that era which was typically shorter or slicked down. I’ve thought this before about other times I’ve seen more modern hairstyles with traditional men’s hats. They just don’t go together… and would probably result in some serious “hat head” when taken off! :lol:
Someone get that man some Brylcreem!

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#129 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:54 am
Pahonu wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:30 am
Someone get that man some Brylcreem!
Exactly! :lol:

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#130 Post by terryfromkerry »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:44 pm
Hi Styles,
That's actually really nice in blue. Thanks for sharing, Terry! Hope you're well.
[/quote]
Sorry for the late reply Styles. I am well , recently moved to the Costa del Sol, Spain. My wife and I love it here. By the way the iconic red jungle bird shirt is now available again in cotton. If my memory is accurate some MPI maniacs felt the rayon material version was unsatisfactory for the warmer temperatures. My go-to for Paradise Found label MPI shirts is alohashirtshop.com the cotton and rayon are available. My experience with this seller is excellent.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Pahonu

#131 Post by Pahonu »

terryfromkerry wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:54 pm
Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:44 pm
Hi Styles,
Sorry for the late reply Styles. I am well , recently moved to the Costa del Sol, Spain. My wife and I love it here. By the way the iconic red jungle bird shirt is now available again in cotton. If my memory is accurate some MPI maniacs felt the rayon material version was unsatisfactory for the warmer temperatures. My go-to for Paradise Found label MPI shirts is alohashirtshop.com the cotton and rayon are available. My experience with this seller is excellent.
[/quote]

Sounds awesome in Spain Terry, enjoy!

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#132 Post by terryfromkerry »

Gracias amigo. 8)

Styles Bitchley

#133 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:09 pm Shirt #1 (Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii (1.1))
The Lacoste cotton petit piqué in Navy Blue (Probably colour code 166).
Easily available here.
I picked up one of these navy Lacostes up last week. Classic staple that will get much use in summer 2022.

- J.Q.H.

DominickCharlie
Ensign

#134 Post by DominickCharlie »

Hello Team,

I hope you all have been enjoying your summer. I have been on the hunt for a specific shirt Magnum wore to no avail. The photo below is from the beginning of Season 4 Episode 4 “Distant Relative”.

[http://magnum-mania.com/images/4_4_p_full.jpg][/img]

If I knew more about flowers, I may be able to put a better search together. Any help would be appreciated!

(If anyone could teach an old man how to post a photo that would help too)

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#135 Post by Aloha Friday »

Styles Bitchley just showed me how to do this a couple weeks ago...click on the photo icon and two bracketed /img things appear. Simply paste the link between the two [/img] things.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia