A Full Inventory of Thomas Magnum's Shirts

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: A Full Inventory of Thomas Magnum's Shirts

#76 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #30 (All Roads Lead to Floyd (1.13))
Tight-fitting short-sleeved rugby shirt in medium sea green.

Wardrobe went back to the well once again, putting Magnum back in this tight short sleeved rugby shirt--this time in green (it looks to be a shade close to what's called "medium sea green"). Note that he sported a blue one in China Doll and a maroon one in Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too. I'd very much like to find one of these, as they have an unmistakable cut that firmly situates them in the late '70s/early '80s. I can easily see Barry Gibb wearing one.

Other recurring shirts in this episode include the black Star Orchid and the navy lightweight v-necked sweater (again in the denouement).
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#77 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:23 pm Shirt #30 (All Roads Lead to Floyd (1.13))
Tight-fitting short-sleeved rugby shirt in medium sea green.

Wardrobe went back to the well once again, putting Magnum back in this tight short sleeved rugby shirt--this time in green (it looks to be a shade close to what's called "medium sea green"). Note that he sported a blue one in China Doll and a maroon one in Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too. I'd very much like to find one of these, as they have an unmistakable cut that firmly situates them in the late '70s/early '80s. I can easily see Barry Gibb wearing one.

Other recurring shirts in this episode include the black Star Orchid and the navy lightweight v-necked sweater (again in the denouement).
The cut if this polo is very much of the era. The biggest difference is the length of the placket. Ha, there’s the word again! Seriously, it’s quite long and seems to have more buttons than today’s shirts. Perfect for showing off that chest. LOL I remember going to a 70’s themed party just after I got out of college and wearing a shirt I found at a thrift shop. First, the placket went halfway down the shirt and had like four buttons and second, I’m a big guy and it was an XL or XXL shirt, can’t remember, but it was tight! The white collar and inside of the placket is far less common now also.

Styles Bitchley

#78 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #31 (Adelaide (1.14))
Island Hoppers tank top in navy blue.

The tank top that Magnum and TC wear at the start of Adelaide (at the KKC Championship volleyball tournament) is a pretty standard tank top with Island Hoppers logos on the front and back. Most of the online t-shirt outlets have stores with these for sale (or your choice of shirt), so it's not a tall order. I'm pretty sure I have a png file of the logo somewhere on one of my computers, so PM me if you want to make your own!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

K 5211
Ensign

#79 Post by K 5211 »

Hello everyone, newbie here, first post.

I was wondering if anyone had identified the olive green military shirt, famously worn by TM in publicity shots, wearing his DT baseball cap, and in one of the episodes. What is clear is that it is a military/uniform type shirt, cross stitched epaulettes, scalloped pockets, But my research has failed to identify it specifically. If TM was a former Navy SEAL, then you might think he would have an old OG 107/507 type shirt, but this one isn't that. Any ideas ? Sorry, I can't (*for some reason) post the well know image here. I see that there is a suggested LL Bean Field shirt in Magnum Manias Gear section, but this clearly isn't it and LLB Bean Cabelas have stopped selling those Field/Safari shirts.

Pahonu

#80 Post by Pahonu »

K 5211 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:21 am Hello everyone, newbie here, first post.

I was wondering if anyone had identified the olive green military shirt, famously worn by TM in publicity shots, wearing his DT baseball cap, and in one of the episodes. What is clear is that it is a military/uniform type shirt, cross stitched epaulettes, scalloped pockets, But my research has failed to identify it specifically. If TM was a former Navy SEAL, then you might think he would have an old OG 107/507 type shirt, but this one isn't that. Any ideas ? Sorry, I can't (*for some reason) post the well know image here. I see that there is a suggested LL Bean Field shirt in Magnum Manias Gear section, but this clearly isn't it and LLB Bean Cabelas have stopped selling those Field/Safari shirts.
Do a search for “field shirt with epaulettes” and you’ll find several examples for sale in various colors.

Styles Bitchley

#81 Post by Styles Bitchley »

K 5211 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:21 am Hello everyone, newbie here, first post.

You mean like shirt #4 here? If you do find a specific ID, let us know!

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#82 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:39 am

You mean like shirt #4 here? If you do find a specific ID, let us know!
Here’s both khaki and olive shirts from LL Bean

https://www.llbean.ca/shop/Mens-Cotton- ... 45888.html

https://m.llbean.com/llb/shop/45888?pag ... ield-shirt

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by T.Q. »

My favourite non-Hawaiian shirt Magnum wore was this one. :magnum:

I bought one as a teen to wear with my jeans.

Came in handy being long sleeve in Canada too, eh. :D
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu

#84 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:59 pm My favourite non-Hawaiian shirt Magnum wore was this one. :magnum:

It seems to be a pretty basic long sleeve henley. They’re widely available, though finding that color might be harder. I currently have a few white ones. I don’t ever really wear them alone, but rather under button up shirts when it’s cold. Not Canada cold, mind you, but Southern California cold! :lol: I don’t like undershirt collars tight around my neck so they work great. I usually wear tanks under my shirts when it’s warmer.

Was yours that color? I used to have a short sleeve black one years ago. Not too daring with the colors! My parents were Canadian too, eh?

Styles Bitchley

#85 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:17 pm
T.Q. wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:59 pm My favourite non-Hawaiian shirt Magnum wore was this one. :magnum:

It seems to be a pretty basic long sleeve henley. They’re widely available, though finding that color might be harder. I currently have a few white ones. I don’t ever really wear them alone, but rather under button up shirts when it’s cold. Not Canada cold, mind you, but Southern California cold! :lol: I don’t like undershirt collars tight around my neck so they work great. I usually wear tanks under my shirts when it’s warmer.

Was yours that color? I used to have a short sleeve black one years ago. Not too daring with the colors! My parents were Canadian too, eh?
Canada party! California cold can be colder than Canada cold when you don’t have a furnace and the temperature drops. I like that style of shirt too TQ. What episode is that from?

- J.Q.H.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#86 Post by T.Q. »

Death And Taxes.

He wore it in the alley to MAMA.

Added to the cool factor.

Pahonu, I had pretty close to the same colour. As close as I could get.

I used to watch M*A*S*H reruns after school everyday and BJ had the same one only pink. Always liked them.

Boy, I'm really throwing out some NERDY stuff today. :geek:

:P
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu

#87 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:43 pm Death And Taxes.

He wore it in the alley to MAMA.

Added to the cool factor.

Pahonu, I had pretty close to the same colour. As close as I could get.

I used to watch M*A*S*H reruns after school everyday and BJ had the same one only pink. Always liked them.

Boy, I'm really throwing out some NERDY stuff today. :geek:

:P
Hey TQ, we were born the same year. You just had a birthday and I’ll be 50 in the fall. I also used to watch MASH reruns in high school, but they were on late at night, like 10:00 or 11:00. Can’t say that I admired Honeycutt’s clothes, or any of them for that matter, :lol: but it’s a great show. Some of my friends watched it too.

Pahonu

#88 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:14 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:17 pm

Canada party! California cold can be colder than Canada cold when you don’t have a furnace and the temperature drops. I like that style of shirt too TQ. What episode is that from?
I hear you. Our place has electric heat and no air conditioning. Lots of places here are like ours because the climate is so temperate. We never use the heater but it does get pretty cold some mornings so we use the fireplace. We have one in our bedroom too. We’re also are pretty lucky that it rarely gets hotter than the 80’s here and it’s not often humid, so fans works great. However, there are those few freak days many summers where it will pass 90 and it’s pretty miserable. That’s when we go to the pool or walk to the beach.

Styles Bitchley

#89 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:57 am However, there are those few freak days many summers where it will pass 90 and it’s pretty miserable. That’s when we go to the pool or walk to the beach.
Okay. Now you’re making me jealous. Lots of snow piled up outside. I need a vacation!

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#90 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:56 am
Pahonu wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:57 am However, there are those few freak days many summers where it will pass 90 and it’s pretty miserable. That’s when we go to the pool or walk to the beach.
Okay. Now you’re making me jealous. Lots of snow piled up outside. I need a vacation!
Sorry man! Think warm thoughts. :wink:

My father said he never regretted moving to Southern California from Quebec in 1965. I’m not complaining about his decision either! He left when he was 30 and spent the next 50 years here. A couple of friends of mine from Buffalo and Long Island feel the same. They both came for college and never moved back. Visiting a snowy place is very different than living in it. I get it, and you can enjoy snow here too... when you want to. I can see snow in the mountains here right now, about two hours drive away, and skiers are enjoying the slopes. I feel fortunate to be in the climate I am. I skied a bit in college with friends but haven’t been in years. There are far more snowboards now, I hear, and I’m not up for learning how to do it as I approach 50.