A Full Inventory of Thomas Magnum's Shirts

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: A Full Inventory of Thomas Magnum's Shirts

#106 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:18 am
Keleko wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:11 am It definitely looks like a Wrangler shirt--you can see the "W" stitching on the pocket here, and also just make out the old-style Wrangler logo on the tag:

But like you said, what's really puzzling is the tag being on the right pocket. It even looks like it might have stitching either side of a pen slot just above the tag. Was this a special shirt made for left-handers? :lol:
Nicely done! That shot in the chopper really shows the logo decently enough to make out the Wrangler pattern. Must just be some oddball version. Do you think they’d possibly stitch the Wrangler logo onto a standard blue button down just to make it look more like a cowboy shirt? I bet it’s possible...and possible they put it on the wrong side!
I have no certainty to this response, but I would highly doubt that they stitched the logo to another shirt. This would accomplish nothing other than slow down the production. In 1980, before DVD’s and before most Americans even had VCR’s, almost no one would have noticed this detail. There would be many easier ways to imply a western aesthetic.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#107 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Keleko wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:50 am Interesting. Looks like it may have been a regular production item for a while:
Boom! Nicely done Keleko! Since you’re so good, see what you can find out about those three rings on the KKC tank.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#108 Post by To The Regiment »

Does anyone remember the episode where Magnum wears a crew-neck cable knit sweater with the navy polo underneath? It looks very similar to the cream color v-neck sweater that he wears. There's a screen cap about half way through this online article: https://www.madman.com.au/news/why-magn ... hion-icon/

Best,
To The Regiment

Styles Bitchley

#109 Post by Styles Bitchley »

To The Regiment wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:26 pm Does anyone remember the episode where Magnum wears a crew-neck cable knit sweater with the navy polo underneath? It looks very similar to the cream color v-neck sweater that he wears. There's a screen cap about half way through this online article: https://www.madman.com.au/news/why-magn ... hion-icon/

Best,
To The Regiment
Interesting. Yeah, it looks pretty similar, but with a crew neck. It's clearly from one of the first three seasons because he's wearing the Chronosport watch....

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#110 Post by To The Regiment »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:07 am
To The Regiment wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:26 pm Does anyone remember the episode where Magnum wears a crew-neck cable knit sweater with the navy polo underneath? It looks very similar to the cream color v-neck sweater that he wears. There's a screen cap about half way through this online article: https://www.madman.com.au/news/why-magn ... hion-icon/

Best,
To The Regiment
Interesting. Yeah, it looks pretty similar, but with a crew neck. It's clearly from one of the first three seasons because he's wearing the Chronosport watch....

Brooks Brothers has one just like it, and it's on sale: https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Supima®- ... &cgid=0224

It's a "close enough" for me (for now) to his v-neck cable knit sweater.

Best,
To The Regiment

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#111 Post by To The Regiment »

This is slightly off topic since it's not a shirt, but does anyone know how many episodes Magnum wore the navy blue Adidas track jacket: http://magnum-mania.com/images/2_9_s_full.jpg ? I know it appeared in Mad Buck Gibson and The Elmo Ziller Story, but I couldn't remember if there were any other episodes.

Best,
To The Regiment

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#112 Post by To The Regiment »

A nice, recent write-up on Magnum's purple Calla Lily aloha shirt: https://bamfstyle.com/2021/08/20/magnum ... oha-shirt/

Enjoy!
To The Regiment

Styles Bitchley

#113 Post by Styles Bitchley »

To The Regiment wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:02 pm A nice, recent write-up on Magnum's purple Calla Lily aloha shirt: https://bamfstyle.com/2021/08/20/magnum ... oha-shirt/

Enjoy!
To The Regiment
Hey.. a new entry. That guy does great posts on so many cool items. Thanks for the heads up!

- J.Q.H.

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#114 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Ralph Lauren has released the fleece polos! https://www.ralphlauren.com/men-clothin ... g-t-shirts
That reminds me of the time....

Styles Bitchley

#115 Post by Styles Bitchley »

☨magnum.t wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:31 pm Ralph Lauren has released the fleece polos! https://www.ralphlauren.com/men-clothin ... g-t-shirts
What episode is this worn in? Sort of has that Merona vibe with the rugby shirt/pocket combo.

- J.Q.H.

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#116 Post by ☨magnum.t »

I don't know if that color specifically was worn but they have multiple available now. Image Image. i know the burgundy one is very similar to the one worn in "Ugliest Dog in Hawaii".

Styles Bitchley

#117 Post by Styles Bitchley »

☨magnum.t wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:54 pm i know the burgundy one is very similar to the one worn in "Ugliest Dog in Hawaii".
Sort of similar. But the pockets on the Meronas were off to the sides more. Still, might be as close as you might get these days.

- J.Q.H.

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#118 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Yeah the originals seem thinner material also. This is pretty close to them. Image

Styles Bitchley

#119 Post by Styles Bitchley »

☨magnum.t wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:02 pm Yeah the originals seem thinner material also. This is pretty close to them.
Exactly! The buttons seem to go lower on the ones Magnum wore. Back in the days where displays of ample chest hair was a thing.

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#120 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:23 pm
☨magnum.t wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:02 pm Yeah the originals seem thinner material also. This is pretty close to them.
Exactly! The buttons seem to go lower on the ones Magnum wore. Back in the days where displays of ample chest hair was a thing.
LOL! I think we had this conversation before, Styles. The buttons are on the shirt’s placket and in the 70’s and early 80’s the plackets were much longer. My dad had a polyester short-sleeve shirt with a four button placket reaching to the bottom of the sternum. :shock: They always wore them wide open too!