A Full Inventory of Thomas Magnum's Shirts

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: A Full Inventory of Thomas Magnum's Shirts

#61 Post by terryfromkerry »

Good to know Styles :) . Mine was earlier this month. So note to self re Lacoste discount for 2021. I did good this birthday though. I have 2 adult sons who obviously know I am a classic MPI maniac. So I got 2 Aloha shirts from one and a Detroit Tigers hat from the other plus a liberal helping of Guinness. Being a classic MPI fan proves to be the gift that keeps on giving. :lol:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by KENJI »

terryfromkerry wrote:Good to know Styles :) . Mine was earlier this month. So note to self re Lacoste discount for 2021. I did good this birthday though. I have 2 adult sons who obviously know I am a classic MPI maniac. So I got 2 Aloha shirts from one and a Detroit Tigers hat from the other plus a liberal helping of Guinness. Being a classic MPI fan proves to be the gift that keeps on giving. :lol:
Happy belated birthday Terry!!!!
Sounds like you had a great day!

:D

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#63 Post by Styles Bitchley »

terryfromkerry wrote:Good to know Styles :) . Mine was earlier this month. So note to self re Lacoste discount for 2021. I did good this birthday though. I have 2 adult sons who obviously know I am a classic MPI maniac. So I got 2 Aloha shirts from one and a Detroit Tigers hat from the other plus a liberal helping of Guinness. Being a classic MPI fan proves to be the gift that keeps on giving. :lol:
That sounds like a pretty nice haul! I’ll have to drop a few more hints around the house. The liberal helping of Guinness is sounding particularly good right about now. Haven’t been to a pub in months - and those 500ml cans just don’t cut it!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by terryfromkerry »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
That sounds like a pretty nice haul! I’ll have to drop a few more hints around the house. The liberal helping of Guinness is sounding particularly good right about now. Haven’t been to a pub in months - and those 500ml cans just don’t cut it!
LOL! I hear you ! Pubs are closed here until August.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Styles Bitchley

#65 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #25 (The Curse of the Kamehameha Club (1.11))
Dark blue military-style button down shirt with epaulets and one breast pocket.

Later in The Curse episode, Magnum's ensemble recalls the closing scene of Don't Eat the Snow, but in the inverse. He again goes for the odd look of pairing an unbuttoned dress shirt with epaulets over a polo shirt. But this time, it's blue over tan instead of tan over blue.

Shirt #4 for reference:

Last edited by Styles Bitchley on Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#66 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #26 (The Curse of the Kamehameha Club (1.11))
Dark blue King Kamehameha Tank Top.

In the denouement of the Curse of the KKC, we get a first look at a Magnum Maniac favorite: the King Kamehameha tank top. I was never sure if this was meant to be something sponsored by the Club or what. It has certainly become a fan favourite and fellow Maniac IKnowWhatYoureThinking designed and (despite inactivity here) appears to still sell a version of this on his online store. It still remains unclear what the significance of the number 44 on the shirt is, but it has been discussed at length.

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#67 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #27 (Thicker Than Blood (1.12))
Ralph Lauren Iconic Mesh Polo Shirt in Cabana Blue

A lot of repeated shirts in Thicker Than Blood, but the first new one we catch a glimpse of is this classic RL polo in Cabana Blue, with yellow logo.

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#68 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #28 (Thicker Than Blood (1.12))
Thick white hooded sweatshirt/sweater

They always seem to throw Magnum into something different at the end of an episode, and Thicker Than Blood is no different. Here we have a thick white hoodie. It's not the typical one you might get at a sports store, however. If you look closely, you can see it appears to be very plush and almost like a sweater, especially around the neck where it buttons up (four buttons) at the top plus the drawstrings (unlike any hoodie I've seen before).

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#69 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:11 pm Shirt #28 (Thicker Than Blood (1.12))
Thick white hooded sweatshirt/sweater

They always seem to throw Magnum into something different at the end of an episode, and Thicker Than Blood is no different. Here we have a thick white hoodie. It's not the typical one you might get at a sports store, however. If you look closely, you can see it appears to be very plush and almost like a sweater, especially around the neck where it buttons up (four buttons) at the top plus the drawstrings (unlike any hoodie I've seen before).
Glad you’re back at it Styles! It’s always fun to read your analysis. It does seem like he often has a different shirt in the closing scenes.

If you’re searching for the word to describe the opening in the neck of TM’s hoodie, it’s called the placket. I only know this because my mom was quite a seamstress when I was younger. She even once made my dad a complete bespoke suit from a custom pattern! The placket can be continuous as in a button up shirt, or partial like a polo or Henley. It can have buttons, snaps, a zipper, or even strings (think pirate shirt). I actually have hoodie with drawstrings and a placket like TM’s, except it’s black.

Styles Bitchley

#70 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:24 pm
Glad you’re back at it Styles! It’s always fun to read your analysis. It does seem like he often has a different shirt in the closing scenes.

If you’re searching for the word to describe the opening in the neck of TM’s hoodie, it’s called the placket. I only know this because my mom was quite a seamstress when I was younger. She even once made my dad a complete bespoke suit from a custom pattern! The placket can be continuous as in a button up shirt, or partial like a polo or Henley. It can have buttons, snaps, a zipper, or even strings (think pirate shirt). I actually have hoodie with drawstrings and a placket like TM’s, except it’s black.
Thanks Pahonu. That's a new one for my vocabulary! Don't kill me but I can't read the words "bespoke suit from a custom pattern" without thinking of Don Cherry, a legendary (and often controversial) hockey commentator here north of the border. He's known for suits that look like this:

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#71 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:36 pm
Pahonu wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:24 pm

Thanks Pahonu. That's a new one for my vocabulary! Don't kill me but I can't read the words "bespoke suit from a custom pattern" without thinking of Don Cherry, a legendary (and often controversial) hockey commentator here north of the border. He's known for suits that look like this:

:shock: :shock: :shock: That’s all.

Pahonu

#72 Post by Pahonu »

Actually, I was just searching for another word for custom and thought of bespoke. :D I wanted to emphasize that it was a made to order suit AND a hand made pattern to fit.

Styles Bitchley

#73 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #29 ( All Roads Lead to Floyd (1.13))
John Newcombe polo shirt in white

Now, I have to admit, this one probably would have stumped me for some time if I hadn't recalled this eleven year old thread (wait, how the hell long have I been dropping in here??) started by ThomasMagnum. I'm not familiar with the Australian tennis player John Newcombe, nor the clothing line launched in his name (and seems to not exist anymore). Thankfully, there are some Aussies who are forum members and Danno identified it quickly (where the heck is he these days, anyway??).

What's amusing here, is that Newcombe was known sporting an over the top moustache to the point that it was the prominent feature of his clothing logo. I'm sure this is an example of the wardrobe department having fun with the audience (and probably Selleck himself)...a wink, if you will, over the moustache man sporting a moustache shirt.

As far as where to find one of this, I think etsy or ebay are probably your only options these days.

- J.Q.H.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by terryfromkerry »

Interesting piece of trivia. Nice work Styles. :)

Pahonu

#75 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:50 pm Shirt #29 ( All Roads Lead to Floyd (1.13))
John Newcombe polo shirt in white

Now, I have to admit, this one probably would have stumped me for some time if I hadn't recalled this eleven year old thread (wait, how the hell long have I been dropping in here??) started by ThomasMagnum. I'm not familiar with the Australian tennis player John Newcombe, nor the clothing line launched in his name (and seems to not exist anymore). Thankfully, there are some Aussies who are forum members and Danno identified it quickly (where the heck is he these days, anyway??).

What's amusing here, is that Newcombe was known sporting an over the top moustache to the point that it was the prominent feature of his clothing logo. I'm sure this is an example of the wardrobe department having fun with the audience (and probably Selleck himself)...a wink, if you will, over the moustache man sporting a moustache shirt.

As far as where to find one of this, I think etsy or ebay are probably your only options these days.

I remember reading that thread too Styles! :shock: Thanks again for the thread.