A Full Inventory of Thomas Magnum's Shirts

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: A Full Inventory of Thomas Magnum's Shirts

#46 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #17 (Skin Deep (1.6)
Paradise Found "Jungle Bird" aloha shirt in black.

In Skin Deep, we get a first glimpse of the more sinister version of THE Magnum shirt: The Black Jungle Bird. This is the only shirt Magnum wears in this episode, apart from a reappearance of the khaki officer's shirt (Shirt #4) at the end.
Last edited by Styles Bitchley on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#47 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Shirt #16 (Skin Deep (1.6)
Paradise Found "Jungle Bird" aloha shirt in black.

In Skin Deep, we get a first glimpse of the more sinister version of THE Magnum shirt: The Black Jungle Bird. This is the only shirt Magnum wears in this episode, apart from a reappearance of the khaki officer's shirt (Shirt #4) at the end.

Those look like art prints in the style of Gauguin behind them.

Styles Bitchley

#48 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Those look like art prints in the style of Gauguin behind them.
It does indeed. They certainly were going for a colonial-Polynesian vibe at the estate.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#49 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Double post.

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#50 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #18 (Never Again, Never Again (1.7))
Merona drab green rugby/sweatshirt with concealed side pockets.

In a similar pattern to Skin Deep, in Never Again, Never Again Magnum wears the same shirt for the whole episode (Shirt #5, the tight blue rugby shirt) until the denouement where he rocks this green version of the Merona on the beach.
Last edited by Styles Bitchley on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#51 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #19 (The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii (1.8))
White button-down dress shirt.

In The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii, we see a return of Shirt #12 (blue v-neck sweater) before seeing "Health Department inspector" Magnum in a brown suit with white button-down shirt and a black tie. It may just be my screen resolution, but it could be an off-white or slightly manila coloured shirt, which was very common in the late '70s early '80s.
Last edited by Styles Bitchley on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#52 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #20 (The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii (1.8))
Merona maroon rugby/sweatshirt with concealed side pockets.

The wardrobe department clearly had a thing for these Merona shirts. This maroon version marks the fourth colour variant we've seen so far and we're only on episode eight!
Last edited by Styles Bitchley on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#53 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #21 (The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii (1.8))
Beige linen short-sleeved button-down shirt.

In the rest of this episode, we see a return of shirts #2 and #15, before arriving at this linen shirt, which wouldn't look out of place on a safari. There a quite a few similar shirts available online, but it may be tricky to find one without breast pockets and with the top looped button hole. But before you go shopping, you may want to read this GQ article: How to Wear a Linen Shirt (and Not Look Like Your Dad on Vacation)
Last edited by Styles Bitchley on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- J.Q.H.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by only looking »

I absolutely love the olive drab shirts he wears with the epaulets and the pockets that are scalloped they also have a D shape stitch pattern in the shoulder area on the back someone had posted one time that they were British officer shirts but those although look like it the pockets appear different. Would love to find that shirt as well as the tan version like he's wearing and memories are forever part 2 when he is shot in the streets of Little Saigon
It made me do it Higgins!!!

Styles Bitchley

#55 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #22 (Missing in Action (1.9))
Yellow light-weight linen short-sleeved button-down shirt.

Missing in Action kicks off where The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii leaves off, with Magnum in a linen shirt. This one is a very light yellow (almost off-white) and quite light weight -- you can see the folded material when it is layered. There is a single breast pocket on the left.
Last edited by Styles Bitchley on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#56 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #23 (Missing in Action (1.9))
US Navy Service khaki uniform shirt for male officers.

For most of Missing in Action, Magnum sports the red Jungle Bird. However, he sports the full Navy khaki uniform when he sneaks in to the base. You can =http://www.uniforms-4u.com/p-navy-offi ... tty easily. Shirts #4 and #5 make an appearance near the end of the episode also.

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#57 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Just dropping a note here to say that Lest We Forget (1.10), is the first episode we encounter with no new shirts introduced. We do see several we've already seen though: Shirts 4, 6, 7 (yeah, I just realized I messed up my initial count of shirt #6 twice and recalibrated), and 10.
Last edited by Styles Bitchley on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#58 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #24 (The Curse of the Kamehameha Club (1.11))
Ralph Lauren Iconic Mesh Polo Shirt in Expedition Dune Heather (or possibly "Cream")

This is a classic from Ralph Lauren that is still available in the same color scheme today.
Last edited by Styles Bitchley on Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- J.Q.H.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hey Styles, Am pretty sure I said this before ..... I love this thread. 8)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Styles Bitchley

#60 Post by Styles Bitchley »

terryfromkerry wrote:Hey Styles, Am pretty sure I said this before ..... I love this thread. 8)
LOL, thanks Terry! It’s more ambitious than I initially though, but we’ll get there eventually.

It is fun though. I’m thinking of picking up a navy Lacoste on my birthday. Did you know that they give you a discount on your birthday? (In official stores)

- J.Q.H.