First Tigers Hat Appearance

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: First Tigers Hat Appearance

#16 Post by Styles Bitchley »

MagnumILWU wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:A cap is just a specific type of hat. Just like a winter hat (or toque, as we call them here in Canada) is a hat. "Baseball cap" is the most common term, of course, but it's not wrong to call it a hat.
Agreed! And well put.
Well put. Are you kidding me? It is wrong to call it a cap! Go buy a dictionary! Did any of you ever play baseball? NOBODY called it a hat! Only people who know nothing about the sport like you, and newer generations would!
Lol. I love how this is the issue that causes you to blow a gasket. ;-) My Oxford says a hat is a "covering made to fit the head, usu with a brim, worn out of doors." It is accompanied by several illustrations of hats, one of which is a "cap." I don't think anyone would argue with you that "baseball cap" is the most correct term. But it is still a hat!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#17 Post by Pahonu »

MagnumILWU wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:A cap is just a specific type of hat. Just like a winter hat (or toque, as we call them here in Canada) is a hat. "Baseball cap" is the most common term, of course, but it's not wrong to call it a hat.
Agreed! And well put.
Well put. Are you kidding me? It is wrong to call it a cap! Go buy a dictionary! Did any of you ever play baseball? NOBODY called it a hat! Only people who know nothing about the sport like you, and newer generations would!
Wow! That’s quite a reaction about hats.

You might want to reconsider your assumption that I never played baseball. I was a three-sport athlete for four years in high school including baseball. I’ve weighed in on the subject in the Squeeze Play thread. I took a full ride scholarship and played basketball in college but was seen by scouts on the diamond because I could switch hit. I’m also about to turn 50 and have been following the Bucs since I was a little kid in the 70’s. So, long story short, you’re wrong about all that.

Did I ever refer to it as a “baseball hat” in all those years? I doubt it. Is a baseball cap a kind of hat? Yup. I think Styles’ dictionary quotation is pretty clear.
Last edited by Pahonu on Tue May 05, 2020 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by terryfromkerry »

I love you guys ! :D I need more of these lockdown distractions. Here is a good example of a cap and a hat ! :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8enPO8CfRQg
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#19 Post by Pahonu »

terryfromkerry wrote:I love you guys ! :D I need more of these lockdown distractions. Here is a good example of a cap and a hat ! :lol:
:D Love The Quiet Man! The final fight scene rolling through the village is fantastic. Towel!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#20 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote:
terryfromkerry wrote:I love you guys ! :D I need more of these lockdown distractions. Here is a good example of a cap and a hat ! :lol:
:D Love The Quiet Man! The final fight scene rolling through the village is fantastic. Towel!
Never seen it but it’s now on my list!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

My favorite movie!