Magnum, P.I. to Hallmark channel!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Magnum, P.I. to Hallmark channel!

#16 Post by K Hale »

Pahonu wrote:
K Hale wrote:
Pahonu wrote:I just watched Italian Ice and the scene with Higgins doing the crossword and having breakfast the morning after Katrina arrived at the estate was entirely cut!
They can’t do this!!!

These are the scenes that establish characters and their relationships!
For that episode the crossword is central to the Higgins/Magnum subplot and makes the final scene completely random. :(
AND it establishes the first doubt in the mind of the viewer that Katrina is no angel.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Steve »

Not only did they trim the series for more commercials, but it looks like they did it to run commercials of , ugh, Hallmark Channel shows..............I do like the picture quality on their HD channel and they are running another marathon on MLK day.......

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#18 Post by Pahonu »

I’m not going to record anymore. They’re butchered too much, in my view. Glad I have the DVD’s.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by T.Q. »

They do it with M*A*S*H too.

They cut some of the best scenes when these channels play them.

Slice and Dice.

And laohu, is there any thread you can manage to not sqeeze MiniMag Jay into? :?:

:lol:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by T.Q. »

K Hale wrote:I hate it when they edit episodes! The DVD version of “Memories Are Forever” cut out the scene of Magnum coming to Higgins in his study for help with Buck Greene, I didn’t even know it was in there until I saw it on STARZ (or was it iTunes?). It’s an outstanding scene and it’s ridiculous that it was cut from the DVD!

The DVDs also cut the “radiator ghost” scene from “Deja Vu,” and I forget what else...
UGH!!!

Now this is upsetting.

I bought the beautiful HD iTunes series and I just checked.

That great scene is CUT!

It's on my old crappy torrented AVI version.

Can't believe they even slice and dice episodes on a new HD release originally selling for $79.99.

:cry:

What else is the new clear HD version missing then? That's really dumb!
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by K Hale »

Maybe I’m wrong and it’s on the DVD but not the Starz. Can’t remember if it’s on the iTunes. I’ll have to check all these.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#22 Post by Pahonu »

Just noticed they even cut the intro music and it sounds sped up!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#23 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote:Just noticed they even cut the intro music and it sounds sped up!
Every 15 seconds shaved down is another dollar, fellas. Nothings sacred!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi Guys,
If you want to get your Selleck fix, try this.
Comcast has started running the Z Living network, 1495 on your "dial". I bring this up because on Tuesday, January 21 at 8:00 pm they are running
the Tom Selleck movie "The Concrete Cowboy"(1979). I have been waiting for years for this flick to show up as I have never seen it.
Z Living also runs Route 66 and The Saint. The Saint episodes are pristine, the color ones look like they were filmed yesterday.
And unlike when the Saint ran on the THIS network(I think it is now out of business?), they seem to make cuts for commercials
with respect for the material.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by K Hale »

K Hale wrote:Maybe I’m wrong and it’s on the DVD but not the Starz. Can’t remember if it’s on the iTunes. I’ll have to check all these.
I checked. The study scene is on the DVD, but not on the iTunes edition and not on Starz.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Steve »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:Hi Guys,
Comcast has started running the Z Living network, 1495 on your "dial". I bring this up because on Tuesday, January 21 at 8:00 pm they are running
the Tom Selleck movie "The Concrete Cowboy"(1979). I have been waiting for years for this flick to show up as I have never seen it.
Z Living also runs Route 66 and The Saint. The Saint episodes are pristine, the color ones look like they were filmed yesterday.
And unlike when the Saint ran on the THIS network(I think it is now out of business?), they seem to make cuts for commercials
Good luck with Concrete Cowboys, Tubi and Amazon Prime have had it for a while and I haven't been able to make it through the movie yet .... (It is also called Ramblin' Man). Thank you for the info as I love Route 66 and The Saint.....

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Steve wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:Hi Guys,
Good luck with Concrete Cowboys, Tubi and Amazon Prime have had it for a while and I haven't been able to make it through the movie yet .... (It is also called Ramblin' Man). Thank you for the info as I love Route 66 and The Saint.....
Hi Steve,
I am going to watch it tonight unless something comes up. I see there is already a "Concrete Cowboys" thread on page 8 in the "Other TV Shows" section,
I'll post my hopefully positive reaction there, but after your comment maybe I won't be a fan either.
I mean, how can you go wrong with Jerry Reed and Tom Selleck?
The Saint movies in the 1940's and the Val Kilmer remake all take a backseat to Roger Moore's version.
Moore's "The Fiction Makers" and "Vendetta for the Saint" were two part episodes that had much higher than normal budgets, as after one showing they were
released as stand alone movies and did well in the theaters. They were then only rarely shown on TV - as movies - and not in the TV series rerun package.
Z Living network runs these movies now as 2 part episodes. Though not back to back, even though they air 3 episodes in a row. If you view "part one" at 5 PM,
"part two" will air the following day at 5 PM. Tonite Z is in fact running The Fiction Makers, part two on the morrow. Beware the crap version of these movies on
You Tube, much content is missing.
Trivial trivia:
In the Saint episode "The Ex-King of Diamonds" Moore makes an in joke regarding his role of Beau Maverick in the "Maverick" TV series.
Referencing  the many famous Pappyisms("As my old Pappy used to say"...) in Maverick, Moore asks a visiting Texan:
"Didn't your old Pappy ever tell you that if you cannot afford the stakes, you should not bet?"

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#28 Post by ConchRepublican »

I am disappointed by the cuts and sped up/trimmed down intro but I mostly keep the show on in the background while working or getting things done. I have been caught a feew times going, "wait, that's not what happens next!" but I do love the HD quality. It's better than the HD import Blueray's a got a few years ago.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Steve »

ConchRepublican wrote:I am disappointed by the cuts and sped up/trimmed down intro but I mostly keep the show on in the background while working or getting things done. I have been caught a few times going, "wait, that's not what happens next!" but I do love the HD quality. It's better than the HD import Blueray's a got a few years ago.
Exactly.....

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Kevster »

Another marathon today. Starting now, and 13 hours/episodes through to and including De Ja Vu...

Agree on the quality, but the "edit" I found annoying was: not showing of Did You See the Sun Rise?" One key word used in those episodes was probably the reason rather than the depiction of premeditated murder. We're more evolved now though.... <sarcasm emoticon> <vomit emoticon>
Trust Me!!!