Magnum, P.I. to Hallmark channel!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Magnum, P.I. to Hallmark channel!

#1 Post by ConchRepublican »

CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Steve
Fleet Admiral

Re: Magnum, P.I. to Hallmark channel!

#2 Post by Steve »

Why do I picture a them showing L.A. Part 1&2 and Operation: Silent Night over and over..... :shock: .

NotthatRick
Admiral

#3 Post by NotthatRick »

This is good news! :)

ConchRepublican

#4 Post by ConchRepublican »

Update!

It seems Hallmark is kicking things off with 24 hours of Magnum, P.I. starting Sunday!

Check your local listings!!
CoziTV Superfan spot

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Steve »

Is anyone watching. I must say that despite my worries that Hallmark would only show Christmas and/or deep love and romantic plots they are doing a good job. The picture clarity is the best I have ever seen on a channel. My only gripe is they butcher the credits to show highlights of other shows and constantly insert graphics on the screen......

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by terryfromkerry »

Am so envious :cry: I cannot get Hallmark channel over here. Still hopefull TS will do the second Hallmark sponsored Jesse Stone at some point though. I'll get to see that on some channel. However I accept it probably will not happen while Blood Bloods is still going strong. Unfortunately like the rest of us, TS is not getting any younger.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Kevster »

My reminder just let me know to tune in. I'd been out for a cruise and didn't know it was coming on...

Very cool! Been over a year since Starz/Encore cut it (Thanksgiving-ish 2018?), so glad to have it back. Lost most of Starz now, but who cares since they don't carry good shows anymore anyway... :D :wink:
Trust Me!!!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#8 Post by Pahonu »

I’ve recorded several episodes and have noticed they edit the episodes more than I’ve noticed on other channels. I’m trying to remember which scene it was, but something from a season 1 episode was cut and I was really surprised.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by K Hale »

I hate it when they edit episodes! The DVD version of “Memories Are Forever” cut out the scene of Magnum coming to Higgins in his study for help with Buck Greene, I didn’t even know it was in there until I saw it on STARZ (or was it iTunes?). It’s an outstanding scene and it’s ridiculous that it was cut from the DVD!

The DVDs also cut the “radiator ghost” scene from “Deja Vu,” and I forget what else...
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ConchRepublican

#10 Post by ConchRepublican »

Pahonu wrote:I’ve recorded several episodes and have noticed they edit the episodes more than I’ve noticed on other channels. I’m trying to remember which scene it was, but something from a season 1 episode was cut and I was really surprised.
I have noticed that as well . . . I had the show on in the background and was expecting to hear one thing and it wasn't there. A few more seconds for commercials . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot

Pahonu

#11 Post by Pahonu »

I just watched Italian Ice and the scene with Higgins doing the crossword and having breakfast the morning after Katrina arrived at the estate was entirely cut!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by K Hale »

Pahonu wrote:I just watched Italian Ice and the scene with Higgins doing the crossword and having breakfast the morning after Katrina arrived at the estate was entirely cut!
They can’t do this!!!

These are the scenes that establish characters and their relationships!
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

K Hale wrote:
Pahonu wrote:I just watched Italian Ice and the scene with Higgins doing the crossword and having breakfast the morning after Katrina arrived at the estate was entirely cut!
They can’t do this!!!
Pahonu mentioned a bad edit in a season 1 episode. When they first ran a bunch of episodes back to back to promote Magnum coming to Hallmark, they lopped off
a Higgins observation at the end of one that absolutely capped off the episode! It was a crime, the editor had no respect for the material. I am kicking myself because I
thought I would post something about it, then I forgot, and now I can't recall what episode it was. My nephew would say "okay Boomer" to that but I am not as sharp
as I used to be.
Hallmark butchered Cheers when it had it. "Damn" was edited out every time(Sam for one constantly used it), and in order to keep the romantic plot devices intact as much as possible(for their majority female audience), they kept all the tedious(by season 3) Sam and Diane unending "will they or won't they" bits in.
They cut out 70% of the brilliant Norm/Cliff banter, as well as much of the comic bits with other bar regulars or with the oddballs who wandered in, which was the heart of the show. Many merely naughty allusions were axed as well.
I remember I taped the Wade Boggs episode for a Boston Red Sox fan friend and edited out the commercials for it as it ran.
It ran 19 minutes, which means Hallmark chopped out an additional 5 minutes of content for commercials, or about 22% of a 24 minute episode's content.
Who wants to watch a "half hour" comedy that is over one third commercials?
Going by what Hallmark did to Cheers, I'm betting there is probably only 38 minutes of actual Magnum in an episode. I still have a VCR hooked up to my den TV, if I get the time maybe I'll tape an episode, pausing at commercial breaks, and see just how much content there is.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Laohu »

I am glad it moved off Cozi ! Hated the add campaign they ran the show deserved better . Now that it is on Hallmark it would be nice if when the Jay Hernandez version hits 100 episodes that they run both series back to back .
With Hallmark running the show who knows they might even make Christmas ornaments to promote it . Be nice to have T.C. Helicopter or the 488 Ferrari hanging from the tree .

Pahonu

#15 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:
They can’t do this!!!

For that episode the crossword is central to the Higgins/Magnum subplot and makes the final scene completely random. :(