Magnum PI: 5 Best (& 5 Worst) Episodes

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Nifty911
Captain

Magnum PI: 5 Best (& 5 Worst) Episodes

#1 Post by Nifty911 »

BY KACIE LILLEJORD – ON AUG 08, 2019 IN MOVIE NEWS

Magnum, P.I. premiered in December 0f 1980, forever establishing a new perspective on the television crime drama genre. Magnum (Tom Selleck) defies the stereotypical stigma associated with returned Vietnam vets at the time by portraying a happy-go-lucky man driving a Ferrari and solving crime in Hawaiian paradise. Not only this, but Magnum stood out for his narration of episodes, offering the character's innermost thoughts to audiences and even helping the storyline along. Magnum was a different kind of law enforcement altogether; one that triumphed and struggled in a more humanistic way than ever shown before. No wonder the show became a smash hit. Then again, while smash hits may have a string of favorite episodes, they also come with their defective episodes. Cue the Magnum, P.I. theme, because here are its 5 best episodes--and its 5 worst.

https://screenrant.com/magnum-pi-best-worst-episodes/

Best and worst?????? Sorry, I don't agree. LOL

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Magnum PI: 5 Best (& 5 Worst) Episodes

#2 Post by K Hale »

That mostly looks like a list of 10 random episodes.

“Echoes of the Mind” one of the 5 worst? WTF
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I don't know about that list. I mean "Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii" and "Memories are Forever" are easily among the very best episodes and definitely belong in the top 5 so I agree with those. But where is "Did You See the Sunrise?", arguably the show's best episode??? It's leaps and bounds better than "Home from the Sea" which I find to be an excellent episode but I would never place it at #1. Also where is "Death and Taxes"??? That has to be in the top 5 as well.

Some of those episodes on the list I haven't seen because I haven't seen much past the first 3 seasons, but I rather like the idea of Higgins "babysitting" Robin Masters' nephew. I haven't seen that episode but the idea sounds interesting. I'm also partial to "Billy Joe Bob" which was probably the first MPI episode I ever saw. But even without that nostalgia I still think it's a good enough episode. Definitely not bottom 5 material.

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#4 Post by Mr. Keoki »

I disagree as well. I like "Summer School". It's a fun episode and a large part is filmed on the estate (which is always a bonus to me). Billy Joe Bob is not the worst. I put that middle of the pack. I'm not a fan of "echos of the mind" it's too much like some random soap opera my mom would watch. I do like how they followed it up with grieving Magnum seeing "Mac" again.

Any episode with Tidewater in it is a thumbs down for me!

"Smaller than life" that's one of the worst for me. I had no idea you could call the POTUS collect.... Waldo is that you ol' buddy

Definitely seems like a random collection of episodes. They at least hit the nail on the head with "Don't eat the snow".

:luther: :luther:
Mr. Keoki

"He was Hawaiian. I'm not very good with these names, It ended with an oki or lani"

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

Not a terrible list . . . I usually dislike listing "worst episodes" of my favorite show, but anything that doesn't include "Kona Winds" and "Kiss of the Sabre" hasn't, IMO, been paying close attention to the show. I don't believe "Echoes of the Mind" is as bad as they say, but I do think it wasn't as good as I first remembered it, but still in the top half of the series.

I'm good with "Home From the Sea" being #1 even if it's not mine (which is "Limbo") but it's easily a top 10, if not top 5 for me. My top 5, aside from "Limbo", can change depending on the day and my mood.

I do appreciate seeing "Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii" being in there, I think it's often overlooked yet may be the best series pilot ever.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

shaun082
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#6 Post by shaun082 »

In my opinion there really isn't a bad Magnum PI episode.

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#7 Post by Mr. Keoki »

Oh man I forgot about Kona winds. Such a soap opera episode.

While I generally agree that there is "no bad" Magnum episode, because I'll watch them all, there are a couple that just aren't very good. :D
Mr. Keoki

"He was Hawaiian. I'm not very good with these names, It ended with an oki or lani"

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by T.Q. »

Mr. Keoki wrote:
there are a couple that just aren't very good. :D
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by K Hale »

I agree with the point about the Tidewater ones. Unwatchable... I found “L.A.” dreadful too. :roll:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ConchRepublican

#10 Post by ConchRepublican »

K Hale wrote:I agree with the point about the Tidewater ones. Unwatchable... I found “L.A.” dreadful too. :roll:
It's weird . . . when Thomas isn't in an aloha shirt, and outside Hawai'i, the show just doesn't feel right. It's like he's trying to be someone he's not. The vibe feels all off.

Goes to show I guess that "Cutter" as it was originally written would have been a bomb.
CoziTV Superfan spot

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by T.Q. »

ConchRepublican wrote:
K Hale wrote:I agree with the point about the Tidewater ones. Unwatchable... I found “L.A.” dreadful too. :roll:
It's weird . . . when Thomas isn't in an aloha shirt, and outside Hawai'i, the show just doesn't feel right. It's like he's trying to be someone he's not. The vibe feels all off.

Goes to show I guess that "Cutter" as it was originally written would have been a bomb.
I agree with you guys.

Just wanted to use the “how dare you” gif.

Tidewater: Meh

L.A.: Meh

There are a good dozen episodes that it won’t kill me to never see again after my HD re-watch.

That said, there are some episodes I previously said that about that I like now. Ie. Luther Gillis Episodes. :luther:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by 308GUY »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Or if he's not driving the 308! :lol:

It's like "Home From the Sea" for me.....I like, and can appreciate the fact that a lot of us think it's one of the better episodes....BUT.....for me....no 308....it just "ain't" Magnum! (Yea....I know....I'm "shallow") I know it's a good 42 minute play on screen....but for me...without the Ferrari...it's just not the same show! :geek:

Kona Winds is in the same category for me...and all the ones mentioned above that have TM and or any/all of the guys away from Oahu...and there ARE more than a few! I do enjoy them because of everything else I love about Magnum....but I really like the car, in case you didn't notice!LOL :magnum: :lol:

I do like the All For One two parter..(shoulda been a movie)...and Deja Vu (also shoulda been a movie) Ah hell...I like em' ALL...but I like the ones with the 308 the most! :lol: :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ConchRepublican

#13 Post by ConchRepublican »

T.Q. wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:

I agree with you guys.

Just wanted to use the “how dare you” gif.

Tidewater: Meh

L.A.: Meh

There are a good dozen episodes that it won’t kill me to never see again after my HD re-watch.

That said, there are some episodes I previously said that about that I like now. Ie. Luther Gillis Episodes. :luther:
And well played it was. I'll be stealing it. :-)
CoziTV Superfan spot

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by K Hale »

All for One was great, and I liked Deja Vu too. I’m just not too terribly interested in Magnum’s soap opera family. :lol:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

The one I find really weird on this list is Rapture. It's not a bad episode, but it ain't top 5. I don't even think it's top 50! Echoes of the Mind is not one of my favorites, but no way is it one of the worst! I agree that Billy Joe Bob pretty much sucks, but how is the godawful Smaller Than Life not on this list??? :evil: And how is Did You See the Sunrise not on the best list either?? Home from the Sea is my number 1 so I agree with them there, but the rest of the list is kind of strange.