What I relearned by Watching Magnum PI

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Nifty911
Captain

What I relearned by Watching Magnum PI

#1 Post by Nifty911 »

Interesting opinions by Libby Emmons and notes of a very start change with where society is today....

AUGUST 27, 2019

.....Just as a childhood home once revisited seems smaller, these old shows from the ‘80s seem laden with preconceived notions that just don’t fit who we are culturally anymore. We don’t like big, strong men who look good in shorts trying to protect their friends and honor. We don’t like male friendships based in wartime bonding. We don’t like displays of affluence that don’t come with celebrity.

But there’s still plenty to love about “Magnum, P.I.” It’s an honest reflection of what prime time, family-friendly content was. There’s no over-the-top sex humor — the scantily clad women are merely beach background — and Magnum doesn’t let his personal ambitions get in the way of doing the right thing.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/08/27/le ... -p-amazon/

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

Re: What I relearned by Watching Magnum PI

#2 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Why do people get so worked up over the shorts? :roll:

And who is this "we" that she speaks of? :roll:

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

Re: What I relearned by Watching Magnum PI

#3 Post by perfectlykevin »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:Why do people get so worked up over the shorts? :roll:

And who is this "we" that she speaks of? :roll:
It's funny because high waisted pants and shorter shorts are now back "in" while cargo shorts and lengthy shorts in general are now "out." For whatever that is worth.

Fashion comes and goes like the tides, I try not to get too hung up on it and just buy classic stuff that is more akin to the deeper ocean than the energetic waves of the surface. And what really matters is honor, not the styles of the day. Magnum is about honor, always has been, always will be. :)