Shocking Flubs!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#76 Post by IslandHopper »

bbert73 wrote:I saw in an earlier post about weapons flubs. Well I've got a major flub about Magnums handgun, the M1911A1, .45ACP. . . Anyway, here's the flub. The gun that the military issued to it's soldiers and sailors had a "parkerized" finish (a dull greenish color with no shine to it at all). Magnums gun has a "blued" finish(a nice pretty shiny gun). I don't know if the creators of the show knew this, but if they did I guess they wanted Magnum to have a good looking gun. The holster he kept it in is authentic but the gun is not. Not 100% anyway.
I always assumed that the .45 (1911) used on the show was a gun Magnum purchased at a gun store. I don't think that the Navy would have let Magnum take his Navy issue .45 (1911) with him when he resigned, especially considering he pissed off his superiors when he left. When I got out of the military, I was not given the option of taking or even buying any of the weapons I used. As far as the holster is concerned, Magnum could have bought one at an Army/Navy store, or just failed to turn it in upon his separation, which he would have had to pay for out of his last pay check. He wouldn't have been able to get away with not turning in his .45. The Navy would have come after him for that. :wink:

The other possibility is that Magnum used his personal weapon while in the Navy SEALs. I know a few guys that were in special operations (Green Beret, LRRP) in Vietnam and each of them said they used whatever personal weapons they chose. Most of them used weapons that weren't issued by the Army in addition to their Army issued weapons. My brother in law who flew Hueys in Vietnam carried a revolver that wasn't issued by the Army.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

MBJR9
Commander

#77 Post by MBJR9 »

On the subject of Magnum's gun, he DEFINITELY used a millitary spec 1911. I had a thread about this a while back (my first post actually) and after a few days of poking around on the net I answered my own question.

There are four basic types of 1911 pistols. The millitary spec 1911, the civilian series 70, the civilian series 80, and the civilian spec 1991. The millitary spec 1911 is just what it implies, the millitary version of the pistol. However the millitary version wasn't only available in the "parkerized" as shown by this photo, and no, their is no way that the "parkerized" finish wore off the entire gun;

The series 70 guns were made from the early 70's until 1983. The series 80 gun was then made from '83-'88, the 1991 from '91 until now. There is no way Magnum ever (at least from the episodes I've seen and assuming the same gun was used through out the series) used a series 70 or 80 series gun as the front sight was SUBSTANTIALLY taller than the millitary spec. There's just no way, it would stick out like a sore thumb. Also, clearly he didn't use the 1991 as it wasn't made until the show had ended.

Basically my point is that TM used a millitary spec 1911. From what I've seen there's no way it was ever a series 70 or 80.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it :lol: !

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#78 Post by IslandHopper »

MBJR9,

The photo of the .45 you posted above is identical to what I used in the military. Thanks for posting that. :)
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

bbert73
Lieutenant

#79 Post by bbert73 »

MBJR9,
You're saying that Magnum's gun was the 1911 pakerized? :? I've talked to several Vietnam vets and they say that the only 1911's that was available to them were the parkerized version. I mean think about it. If you were in the field with any kind of gun that was blued, it would have rusted shut within a week. I mean, when I go duck hunting and it starts to rain, I have to clean my shotgun when I get back or it will start to rust!
Who are you saying is right? Is this a flub or isn't it??
BTW that pic you posted was of a parkerized 1911 that was made in 1945 and was rebuilt. It's going to show some wear after 62 years.
Besides, who said anything about Magnum having a Series 70 or 80?

MBJR9
Commander

#80 Post by MBJR9 »

EDIT: NOW WITH PICS

Okay, I posted all that a little fast and guess I didn't elaborate enough.

Basically what I'm saying is that Magnum's gun (the shiny one) could have still been a military spec 1911. It DOES makes sense that it should only be available in the "pakerized" finish, but it WAS available in other finishes.

It also HAS to be a military spec 1911 because the civilian series 70/80 had EXTREMELY tall front sights of which would have been clearly visable when the gun was on camera, which I haven't seen (as of yet).

As far as the pic I posted, your welcome IslandHopper. I realize it's from 1945, and even if it has been rebuilt the finish ISN'T going to be removed from the entire gun by wear or any other means. That was the whole point of the pic, the fact that the finish was slightly reflective.

So, to some up both my posts;
1. TM's "shiny gun" could still be a correct military issue 1911.
2. It HAS to be a military issue 1911 for the reasons in paragraph 3.
3. The pic is to show how an original military issue 1911 can have a reflective finish.

Here are a few links to different pics of military spec 1911's not in the "pakerized" finish. I would have attached them, but only one would show up;

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/1911a1.jpg

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/1911_1.jpg

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/M1911_450.jpg

bbert73
Lieutenant

#81 Post by bbert73 »

OK then, maybe there's no flub here. :oops:

MBJR9
Commander

#82 Post by MBJR9 »

Don't worry about it. Once I was actually looking for a flub and was sure that I had found one (TM's bruise switched from the left cheek to the right). Then I realized they were shooting his reflection from a mirror :oops: .

bbert73
Lieutenant

#83 Post by bbert73 »

I was just watching season 4 when I noticed a flub. In "Dream a Little Dream", at 32min&51sec. into the episode, Magnum is pointing his gun at Robert Apisa (Joe Soames) and Magnum fires a shot at him and immediately afterwards, he cocks the hammer of his gun. But it's not necessary to cock the hammer back when you fire a shot with a .45ACP. It automatically cocks it for you.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#84 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey, good one bbert73! I've added it to the episode guide.

Thanks
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MagnumPI_Cat
Commander

#85 Post by MagnumPI_Cat »

It's amazing what you can pick up while eating breakfast and watching Magnum. In Little Girl Who, when Magnum goes to the church to 'meet Michelle', the person he meets (sister what'shername) has a necklace in the first shot you see of her. When she goes to get Lily, its gone.
Out of my way before I run you down and enjoy it! - Thomas Magnum, Tropical Madness, season 2.

higgybaby1
Lieutenant Commander

Very Shocking Flubs!

#86 Post by higgybaby1 »

Sorry I havent posted in forever...

Flubs I have caught that I can recall:

Pilot Episode Part II- Bad guy is skulking in the bush's of Robin's Nest with his binoculars and at the exact point he use a "camera/binocular veiw shot" one of the blond guests is in the window wearing a see through cover up that opens revealing her "lower area." :shock: Mainstream TV missed this!
-Also* As Higgins is pulling away from the estate in the Ferrari you see as he gets in that he misses the clutch with his foot and never presses it but the car takes off anyway. TC's chopper also sounds like an airplane.

Rembrandts Girl- When the watersprinkler turns on in the vault there are several clear shots of the woman's breasts. (I forgot her name)

A Sense of Debt- When TC lands to find the boxing promoter on his pad, he goes to open the rear door of the chopper and its already open suggesting that he was flying with it unlatched.
OH MY GAWD!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#87 Post by golfmobile »

I don't want to seem like a killjoy here, but to me continuity slips are not "shocking flubs." An example of what I would consider a "shocking flub" is when someone says or does something that directly contradicts a previous fact -- e.g., Rick's asking "Who's Miles Archer?" (when as a Bogie fan, he would surely know that) or when he said something about his dead mother (or not dead, I forget -- it's somewhere above).

The pointing of loaded weapons "up" in the chopper is a "shocking flub" because it's directly contrary to the way trained military men would act.

Those kinds of things.

Just my opinion. We can just pick forever at continuity slip-ups.

Maybe we should have a separate thread for continuity errors, a little less serious than "shocking flubs."

Don't kick me off!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#88 Post by Shermy »

golfmobile wrote:Just my opinion. We can just pick forever at continuity slip-ups.
I feel the same way. I just naturally expect older shows/films to contain these types of errors, since most of them were filmed on such tight schedules.

This doesn't mean I have anything against nitpicking an episode. It's still fun and adds another layer to watching the dvds. Suddenly, you aren't watching Computer Date for the fifteenth time because it's unhealthy...but because you might pick up on a flub! :lol:

Now, having said all that, I may need to take another look at that Rembrandt's Girl episode. :!:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#89 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile wrote:I don't want to seem like a killjoy here, but to me continuity slips are not "shocking flubs."
I agree golf. That's why I havn't added most of these selections, as good as they are, to the "Shocking Flubs" page. This thread has kind of turned into a one-stop-shop for all things flubs, shocking or not, which is perfectly fine by me.
higgybaby1 wrote:Pilot Episode Part II- Bad guy is skulking in the bush's of Robin's Nest with his binoculars and at the exact point he use a "camera/binocular veiw shot" one of the blond guests is in the window wearing a see through cover up that opens revealing her "lower area." Shocked Mainstream TV missed this!
Barely. And I mean, really barely. For a split nano second, you can sort of see the outline of Ms. Muller's, umm, ahem, "lower area" through her nightie. I didn't even notice it the first two or three times I watched the movie. Truthfully, I'm not surprised it got past the censors. There's just not that much there to see!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Mack
Commander

#90 Post by Mack »

So for us non-military guys, how are we to know which way to point a weapon in a helicopter? Let me ask this for clarity; in Mr. White Death, while Ernest Borgnine is standing in Higgins' freshly planted bulb patch, I noticed plumeria flowers placed in a bush. Plumeria's don't grow on a bush. So for a "Botanist" would this be considered a "Shocking Flub"? :roll:
Hana Hou!