Shocking Flubs!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#61 Post by J.J. Walters »

lutherhgillis wrote:Flub: Notice when Magnum and Rick are watching the game sitting on the grass just after the boys get into a fight at 2nd base. Rick is writing something on paper and Magnum gets on his case about gambling on a child's baseball game. Rick then apparently reveals that he is wrinting a recipe for chicken marsala to send to his mother. Rick's mother and father are both dead as we learned in Distant Relative which was shown several weeks before this episode. I believe this was a little bit sloppy. The show typically had great continuity.
Hey, good spot lutherhgillis! I've added it to the episode guide. Thanks.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Mad buck Gibson
Ensign

Ferrari flub

#62 Post by Mad buck Gibson »

Hi every one this is my first post and i really like this website, one of the flubs that always made me wonder is in the pilot episode when magnum takes the top off the Ferrari after ''stealing'' it ?

where does it go ?

the roof is normally stored behind the seats but he just slides it on the ground or in the crew hand ?

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#63 Post by Doc Ibold »

Mad Buck, thats actually a really good observation!

I've often thought the same thing.

Does he just leave it in the road?

No wonder Higgins was always mad about him using the Ferrari

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#64 Post by J.J. Walters »

They were hoping nobody would notice. ;)

They really no other alternative for that particular scene. It wouldn't have worked so well if Magnum had to get out of his seat, tuck the top away, get back into the car, THEN glance at the camera and drive off. It's much more effective to just slide the top back (no doubt into the hands of a crew member), glance at the camera and go! ;)

BTW, welcome to the site Mad Buck!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Mad buck Gibson
Ensign

#65 Post by Mad buck Gibson »

Thank you James and it's a real pleasure to go trough your website

bradchambers
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#66 Post by bradchambers »

First, let me say I love this site. Hopefully this one will stay around and not disappear like some of the other MPI fan sites did.

I remember a scene (I don't recall which episode) where Magnum is knocked out and falls to the floor. The camera shot they cut to clearly shows TM's face as he lay unconscious on the floor, and as they start to fade to commercial break, you can clearly see Selleck break character and start to smile/laugh. Anyone else remember this or what episode it was? I'm sitting here trying to think of all the episodes that he gets clonked and knocked out. I'm pretty sure it was one of the first few seasons. I'll be digging through my DVDs now until I find it!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

Re: Shocking Flubs!

#67 Post by Sam »

Jim
Two off the top of my head.

The first is in "The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club" At he end of the show Magnum is talking to Charlie on the beach.During the dialogue the camera is switching back and forth between the two and you see Charlie put his earplug into his left ear 2 or 3 times.

The second flub (can't recall the name of the episode) takes place on the street side of the driveway with Magnum and TC playing football.
Magnum is bent over an imaginary center with TC flanked on the right and the house just beyond TC.So he is facing the gatehouse..
The scene was in slo-mo.Magnum takes the snap,backpeddles and throws the ball but now he throwing back towards the house just in time to nail Higgins.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

Re: Shocking Flubs!

#68 Post by IslandHopper »

Sam wrote: The second flub (can't recall the name of the episode) takes place on the street side of the driveway with Magnum and TC playing football.
Magnum is bent over an imaginary center with TC flanked on the right and the house just beyond TC.So he is facing the gatehouse..
The scene was in slo-mo.Magnum takes the snap,backpeddles and throws the ball but now he throwing back towards the house just in time to nail Higgins.
I think the episode you are referring to is "No More Mr. Nice Guy."
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#69 Post by Doc Ibold »

Hi Sam,

"The first is in "The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club" At he end of the show Magnum is talking to Charlie on the beach.During the dialogue the camera is switching back and forth between the two and you see Charlie put his earplug into his left ear 2 or 3 times."

Speaking as a former competitive swimmer, that's not altogther that uncommon to have to readjust your earplugs, especially if they are the wax variety.

If you don't have them adjusted properly, it sometimes ends up being worse than if you didn't have any earplugs at all, since the water gets trapped between the earplug and the ear and has no place to go.

That could definitely be a flub, due to doing multiple takes spliced together, but in real life that could happen in that span.

Charlie, being an experienced swimmer, as well as a KAHUNA, would know about that.

Aside, that would have been cool to have Charlie as a recurring character, helping Magnum out on cases involving the supernatural. "Dead Mans Channel" would have been PERFECT!

Alas, it si not to be!

:lol:

bbert73
Lieutenant

#70 Post by bbert73 »

I saw in an earlier post about weapons flubs. Well I've got a major flub about Magnums handgun, the M1911A1, .45ACP. Starting in 1911, the US military adopted the Colt M1911A1 .45ACP as their standard sidearm. All branches of the military used this pistol in WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and even in Desert Storm. Although, they started to replace this handgun in the 1980's for a Beretta 92S-1, they still continue to use the M1911A1 in some special forces units. Anyway, here's the flub. The gun that the military issued to it's soldiers and sailors had a "parkerized" finish (a dull greenish color with no shine to it at all). Magnums gun has a "blued" finish(a nice pretty shiny gun). I don't know if the creators of the show knew this, but if they did I guess they wanted Magnum to have a good looking gun. The holster he kept it in is authentic but the gun is not. Not 100% anyway.
I would put some examples to show the difference between the two but I don't know how to attach an image.

Mack
Commander

#71 Post by Mack »

I think I found one. In season 4, Jororo Farewell, in the opening scenes, the prince has climbed the fence while trying to escape. I believe this scene is taking place in Jororo. When the prince is cornered by soldiers, the vehicle he is standing next to has Hawaii state license plates.
Hana Hou!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#72 Post by rubber chicken »

bbert73 wrote:I would put some examples to show the difference between the two but I don't know how to attach an image.
You can use imageshack to host images, then copy the "Hotlink for forums" link and paste that into your post here.

I'd be interested in seeing the difference. :)

bbert73
Lieutenant

#73 Post by bbert73 »

Magnum's gun should look exactly like this. This is the parkerized finish. http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/4508 ... zedbi5.jpg

This is just an example of what a blued finish looks like.
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/1486 ... uedda4.jpg

You can see a close-up look at Magnum's gun in "The Jororo Farewell" about 21 minutes into the DVD, for those of you who have it.

I should say that the military used the parkerized finish because it is durable and it is rust/weather resistant. The blued finish is not.
Thanks rubber chicken! :)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#74 Post by golfmobile »

If you want to skip the link, here's what Bbert uploaded there (he also sent them to me, so this may be duplicative)

The "blued" one:

the "Parkerized" one:

I confess I can't tell a lot of difference, but my computer graphics are dark, so that may be preventing my viewing the pictures correctly.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

bbert73
Lieutenant

#75 Post by bbert73 »

Thanks Golf! :)