Anybody Bought items from Hollywood Robbie

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

Anybody Bought items from Hollywood Robbie

#1 Post by Mr. Greene »

just wondering if anybody has any firsthand knowledge og quality and service from him, I'm interested in a couple things from him. Thanks

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

Re: Anybody Bought items from Hollywood Robbie

#2 Post by Mr. Greene »

Nobody?

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by 308GUY »

Mr Greene:

I bought a team ring from Robbie a couple years ago. He was very easy to work with and had good communication.

I was satisfied with the sculpting of the ring, but in retrospect, it is a tad undersized but it looked pretty good for awhile.

I bought the alloy material, although he offers it in gold as well. The alloy is clear coated, but the coating does wear off, then the ring will turn your finger green, if your skin is sensitive to it...mine was. I tried having the ring gold plated locally, but it basically turned brown, so it's now in the box with other "failed" attempts at obtaining a good looking team ring. I eventually ended up having one custom made by a local jeweler in actual gold. Wasn't cheap, but I wear it most the time, and am not sorry I did it.

The price of Robbie's ring was a little out of line looking back, but competitive considering the market. I've since found better options for a fraction of the cost, and have more than a few team rings in my collection as a result of my "quest" for a good one.. :lol: Obsessive?....maybe a little...but hey...we're talking Magnum, PI here and I am a die hard fan.

As to your initial inquiry, Robbie is also a fan and I'm sure does his best to provide quality, desirable products, and for the most part, I'd say he does. It's the market place...the rules never change...buyer beware...in ALL instances! Sometimes you don't know what your getting till it's too late to change your mind.

In the case of Robbie, I'd say it depends on what you are looking at buying from him. I think he's an honest business man..with the emphasis on business. I wouldn't hesitate to to business with him again, if he had something I was interested in...but I probably won't be buying any more rings from him.

Ask a lot of questions, ask for pictures, proof and documentation if memorabilia is your interest. I think Robbie's a good guy trying to survive in a very dog eat dog world..you know...like the rest of us! :magnum:

Don't know if this'll help you or not, but I don't like it when somebody asks a question and nobody responds..so there's my two cents...and worth every penny! :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#4 Post by Mr. Greene »

thanks for the info, as much as I'd like a ring I'm just not a ring guy, never have been I still have my high school class ring in the box it came in and I think I wore it 3 times, my wedding ring I wear but its not too big maybe I can incorporate the logo in that(if I can sneak it by my better half) but I'm interested in his KKC hats and some of the shirts he has.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#5 Post by N1095A »

I know this is an old thread, but I just got my team ring from Robbie in 10k gold, and I couldn't be happier with it.  It is absolutely perfect and stunning. I met Robbie about 10 years ago when I bought a couple of Naval Academy shirts from him. In the years since we've become friends.  We have talked many times about my wanting a team ring, and finally I pulled the trigger. I absolutely couldn't be more pleased with the ring he made me. He is a perfectionist, and shows in his work.  He has made rings for Larry, Tom, and Roger, and also for Robert Loggia. The ring that Larry wore on the show Las Vegas was the one Robbie made for him. Robbie is a great guy.  Honest to a fault, and a genuine fan of  MPI.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Canada Jones
Lieutenant

#6 Post by Canada Jones »

Great to see this post because I just sent a message to Robbie last week but have yet to get a response. What initially interested me about Robbie was that I understood that he had the original mold the screen worn rings were made from. I know for a while he was selling rings from that mold but I got the impression that the original mold was not great (this was not Robbie's fault - he was just trying to make copies from the original mold). I guess he took flack because people thought the ring did not look that good (again, not Robbies fault - just a mold that someone clearly did not take much time with when they made the rings for the show). He then cleaned up the original mold and made his own version of them. I bought a Team ring from a seller off of Shapeways in silver (gold was too much money) and I am very happy with it. I really would love a ring made from the original mold though regardless of how it looks.
best
Canada

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#7 Post by Styles Bitchley »

N1095A wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:45 am I know this is an old thread, but I just got my team ring from Robbie in 10k gold, and I couldn't be happier with it.  It is absolutely perfect and stunning. I met Robbie about 10 years ago when I bought a couple of Naval Academy shirts from him. In the years since we've become friends.  We have talked many times about my wanting a team ring, and finally I pulled the trigger. I absolutely couldn't be more pleased with the ring he made me. He is a perfectionist, and shows in his work.  He has made rings for Larry, Tom, and Roger, and also for Robert Loggia. The ring that Larry wore on the show Las Vegas was the one Robbie made for him. Robbie is a great guy.  Honest to a fault, and a genuine fan of  MPI.
Can we see a photo? Would really like to see a top notch gold version.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

NotthatRick
Admiral

#8 Post by NotthatRick »

Does Hollywood Robbie have a Web Site? I googled the name and couldn't find anything.

N1095A

#9 Post by N1095A »

No website that I know of. But he is on Facebook and YouTube.
If someone sends me their email address I can send photos, but I can't get onto my photo bucket account to post them here.
https://www.facebook.com/HollywoodRobbie

NotthatRick
Admiral

#10 Post by NotthatRick »

N1095A wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:01 pm No website that I know of. But he is on Facebook and YouTube.
If someone sends me their email address I can send photos, but I can't get onto my photo bucket account to post them here.
https://www.facebook.com/HollywoodRobbie
Thanks!!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#11 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Hi guys!

Here are the photos of the ring Robbie made for N0195A.

I'm not sure what the white one is - is that the cast he uses maybe?

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#12 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:57 pm Hi guys!

Here are the photos of the ring Robbie made for N0195A.

I'm not sure what the white one is - is that the cast he uses maybe?

I believe it’s the model that will go into the plaster investment casting. In the lost wax process, that model will have plaster poured around it to make the investment. When the investment is heated in a kiln, the model will be vaporized and create a void. The molten metal can then be poured in that void to form the ring.

I only know this because a former colleague of mine made jewelry using this process and he showed me his workshop and explained the process. There’s a lot of finishing work that follows the rough casting. The Magnum ring also has the black enameling that happens after.

N1095A

#13 Post by N1095A »

That is correct. Almost a shame to destroy the wax version. But that's the process.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#14 Post by Pahonu »

N1095A wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:38 am That is correct. Almost a shame to destroy the wax version. But that's the process.
My colleague had all the rubber molds he used to make the models. He would carve an original, or use an existing piece, and then pour over some kind of liquid rubber that would set up around it. That was cut in half and used to make the models for use in the investment casting. He had dozens of the rubber molds stored.

All this stuff was in a shed in his back yard. It was quite large actually and had a work bench and electrical power. The little kiln was run from a propane tank. It was a pretty cool setup. He also had stuff for winemaking in there. I don’t know if he won any awards for jewelry, but he did win for his wines at different county fairs. He gave me a few different bottles and they were all quite good. :D