Theory

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Theory

#16 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Ha, you should visit my James Bond Forum, where every on-location shot is dissected, forensically analysed and counter-checked for new content of clothing/watches and so on.

A friend of mine went many miles to recreate a newspaper that has been seen for a second in the 1967 movie „ You only live twice“

Read the full story here:
https://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/49786/br ... ed/page/2/

An insight into the making of this reproduction newspaper:
Where the original prop had the article of Bond’s death pasted onto an actual copy of a published newspaper, this reproduction has been produced to appear as if that article is part of the newspaper.
The front cover has been completely re-originated to match the printed text, line for line and using typefaces referenced from the 1960s, plus adding dents and knocks to the rules and type to give the authentic letterpress printed appearance.
The image used of Sean Connery is identical to the one seen on screen and has been adjusted to match the other pictures in the newspaper: 45 line screen, round dot with a 45 degree angle.
All other pages were scanned and to keep it authentic were not retouched.
Some easter eggs have been placed on certain pages as an extra nod to the film.
This project has been somewhat a blast from the past for me, taking me back 45 years to the days of my apprenticeship as a Hot Metal Compositor.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Just an example of a 1966 GMT Master 1675 (still with small 24hr hand) purchased at the San Francisco PX store for $ 156,—
That corresponds to $ 1.250,— today.
Like I‘ve said, those where expensive toolwatches but still accessible to soldiers with a normal salary.

Today, contemporary GMT Masters are around $ 10.000,— (long waitlists and grey market prices of 20k) good vintage GMTs 1675 and 16750 can fetch $25.000 and decent 6542 will reach $ 150.000,—

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/bring ... ay-10-2019
Last edited by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) on Fri May 10, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi Bondtoys.de,

Impressive. Thanks for sharing. :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by KingKC »

Bondtoys.de wrote:Ha, you should visit my James Bond Forum, where every on-location shot is dissected, forensically analysed and counter-checked for new content of clothing/watches and so on.

A friend of mine went many miles to recreate a newspaper that has been seen for a second in the 1967 movie „ You only live twice“

Read the full story here:
https://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/49786/br ... ed/page/2/

An insight into the making of this reproduction newspaper:
Where the original prop had the article of Bond’s death pasted onto an actual copy of a published newspaper, this reproduction has been produced to appear as if that article is part of the newspaper.
The front cover has been completely re-originated to match the printed text, line for line and using typefaces referenced from the 1960s, plus adding dents and knocks to the rules and type to give the authentic letterpress printed appearance.
The image used of Sean Connery is identical to the one seen on screen and has been adjusted to match the other pictures in the newspaper: 45 line screen, round dot with a 45 degree angle.
All other pages were scanned and to keep it authentic were not retouched.
Some easter eggs have been placed on certain pages as an extra nod to the film.
This project has been somewhat a blast from the past for me, taking me back 45 years to the days of my apprenticeship as a Hot Metal Compositor.
Thanks Bondtoye.de, i missed that one...but then again...I am not a James Bond fan....lol

waverly2211
Captain

#20 Post by waverly2211 »

I do know Universal purchased a Rolex GMT "Pepsi" for use in the movie Stoker Ace. Burt Reynolds used a similar watch in Hooper, however that one was owned by a stuntman who wore it while doing stunts. When it was Burt's turn in front of the camera, the stuntman handed Burt his "Lucky" watch for continuity. That stuntman also had a Rolex Daytona that he wore on set when Burt had his GMT. The gold Rolex in Hooper was owned by Burt.

Burt liked the watch, but mostly wore a gold watch off camera, so word got back to Universal about using a similar watch, something a NASCAR driver would wear. I do not know if the watch that went to Stoker Ace's production was worn by Reynolds or it carried over to another project. But that watch, Rolex GMT Master "Pepsi" did make it back to Universal in Los Angeles for use in other projects.

It is quite possible there were more watches, but one thing is for sure the watch worn in Magnum, P.I. was not purchased by Selleck, that was a studio watch.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

waverly2211 wrote:
It is quite possible there were more watches, but one thing is for sure the watch worn in Magnum, P.I. was not purchased by Selleck, that was a studio watch.
I don‘t doubt what you say ( matter of fact I agree with you) but how do you know?

And please don‘t call them Pepsi.... ;)

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#22 Post by Nikita70 »

Everything I have ever read concerning TS and his GMT tells me it is his watch.

Somewhere on this forum I read about a guy that worked with TS behind the scenes and he stated Selleck had many Rolexes, some with quite a bit of wear. IIRC.

I have seen many small parts TS played as a guest star on other shows. He is always wearing a watch. Rockford Files, Charlie’s Angels, Friends.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#23 Post by Pahonu »

No idea if this relates, but Selleck told the story more than once when interviewed that his father promised each of the Selleck boys a new watch when they graduated high school, I think it was. Maybe it was college, but I definitely remember hearing him tell that story. Maybe it was a Rolex?

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Everything I have ever read concerning TS and his GMT tells me it is his watch.
I agree. I don't know if it was originally his, but if not; he may have bought it or they might have gifted it to him when Magnum ended. He has worn it in Jesse Stone and maybe other things, but I remember a deliberate close up of it in one of the Jesse Stone movies.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I have been in touch with a member here, who had close contacts to crew members and has told me, that he owns the prop watch.
He also sent me me a pic of the watch.

If it‘s true what he‘s telling me, Selleck can‘t own the prop watch, except there where more than one.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#26 Post by Pahonu »

Bondtoys.de wrote:I have been in touch with a member here, who had close contacts to crew members and has told me, that he owns the prop watch.

If it‘s true what he‘s telling me, Selleck can‘t own the prop watch, except there where more than one.

I have some experience in television production from back in the mid-90's. It's almost a guarantee that they had more than one prop watch. They would have had back-ups for every prop used on a shoot. If a prop is accidentally damaged, which I saw happen more than once, property quickly replaces it to keep filming. The alternative would be to stop filming with many dozens of people standing around getting paid while a new one is found. $$$$$ No way that would be allowed to happen. There were typically multiple examples of each prop. The same was true of wardrobe. They had multiple vehicles of the same type as well. I know Rolex is an expensive brand, but not compared to paying that many people to wait, or worse, shutting down filming for the day.

If someone claims to have THE prop from the show that's only partly true. They don't have the ONLY prop from the show. They have A prop from the show.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by K Hale »

Pahonu wrote:
Bondtoys.de wrote:I have been in touch with a member here, who had close contacts to crew members and has told me, that he owns the prop watch.

I have some experience in television production from back in the mid-90's. It's almost a guarantee that they had more than one prop watch. They would have had back-ups for every prop used on a shoot. If a prop is accidentally damaged, which I saw happen more than once, property quickly replaces it to keep filming. The alternative would be to stop filming with many dozens of people standing around getting paid while a new one is found. $$$$$ No way that would be allowed to happen. There were typically multiple examples of each prop. The same was true of wardrobe. They had multiple vehicles of the same type as well. I know Rolex is an expensive brand, but not compared to paying that many people to wait, or worse, shutting down filming for the day.

If someone claims to have THE prop from the show that's only partly true. They don't have the ONLY prop from the show. They have A prop from the show.
This makes me think of Higgins’ cannon, which keeps popping up for sale from time to time. I wonder if there were multiples of that. And if any of the ones I see for sale are even real. My goodness, there were multiple Bridges on the River Kwai? Ahh! Where are they now...
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by 308GUY »

K Hale wrote: My goodness, there were multiple Bridges on the River Kwai? Ahh! Where are they now...
Think I remember reading on Rick Romer's blog, that he made no less than 3 of those!

Course....my memory isn't what it once was....you know what they say....."your memory is the second thing to go.....don't remember what the first one is."...... :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by K Hale »

308GUY wrote:
K Hale wrote: My goodness, there were multiple Bridges on the River Kwai? Ahh! Where are they now...
Think I remember reading on Rick Romer's blog, that he made no less than 3 of those!

Course....my memory isn't what it once was....you know what they say....."your memory is the second thing to go.....don't remember what the first one is."...... :magnum:
Well, there had to be at least 4 because we saw it destroyed and rebuilt three times. The original was broken in The Big Blow, the second one was broken in Summer School, and the third one was broken in Paper War. And since it was around again at the end, there were a minimum of four. But if there were multiple props at all times, there could’ve been many more than that!
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by 308GUY »

K Hale wrote:
308GUY wrote:

Well, there had to be at least 4 because we saw it destroyed and rebuilt three times. The original was broken in The Big Blow, the second one was broken in Summer School, and the third one was broken in Paper War. And since it was around again at the end, there were a minimum of four. But if there were multiple props at all times, there could’ve been many more than that!

Yep....well.....4.....IS...."no less than 3"....isn't it? :higgins: So is 6.....or....8 :lol: :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"