photos from April 2019 visit to Pahonu

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

robbie308
Lieutenant

Re: photos from April 2019 visit to Pahonu

#16 Post by robbie308 »

Very nice photos, TSMIV, thank you for sharing!

It seems like not much has happened on the estate since the demolition of the main house, though.

Funny to see that the Paradise Helicopters chopper now has the team ring, right on the spot where previously were the signatures of Larry and Roger. Maybe they were worn off by time. Did you fly with Josh?
"Oh – my – god!"

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#17 Post by Mr. Keoki »

Love the cuff links!!! Great pictures.
Mr. Keoki

"He was Hawaiian. I'm not very good with these names, It ended with an oki or lani"

Mac
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#18 Post by Mac »

Nice Photos, Great cuff links!!

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#19 Post by TSMIV »

robbie308 wrote:Very nice photos, TSMIV, thank you for sharing!

It seems like not much has happened on the estate since the demolition of the main house, though.

Funny to see that the Paradise Helicopters chopper now has the team ring, right on the spot where previously were the signatures of Larry and Roger. Maybe they were worn off by time. Did you fly with Josh?
Hi robbie308,

I didn’t actually fly in the chopper - I was one of those sad groupies who just wanted to take a look at it. :wink: The Paradise Helicopters staff member that I spoke to was a really nice chap - when I approached their premises he was closing the main gate and was just about to close up for the day but, when I inquired if it would be possible for me to take some photos of the helicopter, he readily agreed and then even offered to take some photos of me standing in front of the chopper! (Very decent of him given that I was going to spend any money)

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#20 Post by TSMIV »

308GUY wrote:Great job TM...I mean TS!

Got them all saved into my "Pahonu" picture folder. Thank you!

Any shots of the gate house? I'm guessing it's also still standing (at least for now.. :cry: )

Great story about the cufflinks...have never seen those before! Very neat.

Looking forward to any more pics you care to share.
Hi there 308GUY,

My pleasure and I’m glad that you enjoyed the photos. :lol: My apologies but I didn’t get any photos of the gatehouse :cry: (although I recall that it was still there when we drove by the front gates). I think I’ve got some photos of the gatehouse that were taken when my family and I visited Pahonu in 2017 - let me see what I can dig up for you

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#21 Post by TSMIV »

Here’s a shot of the tidal wall at the back of Shriners Beach Club….

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#22 Post by TSMIV »

And now for some photos of the War Memorial Natatorium (please excuse the poor quality of some of the photos - the camera function on my iPhone started playing up and thus I was compelled to use the camera on a 10 year old iPod ! :shock: )

As you can see from the photos, the relevant municipal authorities don’t appear to have completed any restorative work in recent years

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#23 Post by TSMIV »

It's time to channel Theodore Calvin and post some photos of the Island Hoppers mobile :magnum:

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#24 Post by TSMIV »

In search of the King Kamehameha Club, I tried to grab a couple shots of the (i) front entrance and (ii) car park of Elks Honolulu Lodge. Again, apologies for the inferior quality of some of the photos :? - given my ongoing iPhone camera related issues, I was using my 10 year old iPod as a back-up…..

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#25 Post by TSMIV »

In the vain hope of finding Thomas :magnum: playing beach volleyball or Rick and TC ensconced in deep conversation on the beach, I ventured out to the back of the Elks Honolulu Lodge and the Outrigger Canoe Club….

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by terryfromkerry »

Thanks for posting TSMIV. These terrific photos are so relevent and interesting given they were all memorable MPI locations. :magnum:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#27 Post by nha trang »

This is great - could I ask a favor?

Any way you could post the high resolution (like your first attempted posting) of the shot with the turtle enclosure and rabbit island in the background? Also, any of the ones with the seawall or the shot of the iconic stairs leading to the beach gate?

Awesome job on the pictures, these are the best pictures I've yet to see of pahonu. I'd really like to get the ones mentioned and have one framed to be honest with you. We don't have much left anymore but thanks to fans like yourself and this board we do have something!

Happy 50th chap, and happy memorial day everyone

Sincerely,

Nha Trang

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by 308GUY »

nha trang wrote:This is great - could I ask a favor?

Any way you could post the high resolution (like your first attempted posting) of the shot with the turtle enclosure and rabbit island in the background? Also, any of the ones with the seawall or the shot of the iconic stairs leading to the beach gate?

Awesome job on the pictures, these are the best pictures I've yet to see of pahonu. I'd really like to get the ones mentioned and have one framed to be honest with you. We don't have much left anymore but thanks to fans like yourself and this board we do have something!

Happy 50th chap, and happy memorial day everyone

Sincerely,

Nha Trang
Seconded :higgins:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#29 Post by TSMIV »

terryfromkerry wrote:Thanks for posting TSMIV. These terrific photos are so relevent and interesting given they were all memorable MPI locations. :magnum:
Many thanks Terry,

I’m glad that you enjoyed them - our glorious Magnum Mania site was my bible for locating all these iconic filming locations! It’s a strangely surreal process when you’re standing at one of these locations and trying to identify the ‘Magnum elements’ of the immediate landscape. However, with a bit of persistence (and intensely focussed imagination), I was able to visualise Thomas, Higgins, TC and Rick walking around…. :magnum: :higgins:

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#30 Post by TSMIV »

Mac wrote:Nice Photos, Great cuff links!!
Hi Mac,

My pleasure and thanks to you, 308GUY, K Hale and Mr Keoki for the nice comments about the cufflinks. My wife actually outdid herself with getting presents for my 50th birthday - she also bought me a replica team ring! :lol: Here’s a photo of me displaying the ring whilst at the same time channelling my inner George Costanza hand model. I don’t wear it around normally - it has pride of place on the shelf in my mancave..