Magnum and the money

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Lord Ickenham
Lieutenant Commander

Magnum and the money

#1 Post by Lord Ickenham »

Today morning, I tought about Magnum's money. Well, he has a bohemian image. He is a dangling man. He is careless. He always owe to TC and Rick. Why he has always money problems? Maybe the p.i. business isn't very good, but he doesn't have charges. He uses RM's Ferrari, RM's cameras and binoculars, etc. He always wears the same clothes. His hobbies (surfing, swimming, basketball) aren't expensive. He eats trash food, and drinks beer (and RM's wines). He works for Robin as a security manager (or something like this), doesn't he get payment for it? And what about his previous job at the Navy?

MHTR
Vice Admiral

Re: Magnum and the money

#2 Post by MHTR »

This is an interesting subject. I've always disliked this one aspect of Magnum, and I wish it didn't exist. It makes him look so irresponsible. But I guess that goes with the idea of him "at 33 realizing he was never 23" (forgive me if I got the quote wrong).

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by K Hale »

It’s a given that many times, his clients do not pay him. I remember one episode where Rick makes a remark like “Oh, this must be the one client who paid?” That said, I do wonder where Magnum’s money goes. He must be paying his own utilities, since there was that time everyone thought his phone got shut off because he didn’t pay the bill, and he’s expected to put gas in the Ferrari and maintain it. Other than that, it doesn’t seem like he has a lot of expenses.

I wonder who pays his medical insurance. If he has to pay it himself due to being self-employed, that could take up a lot of money. Or, perhaps it’s part of his Navy pension (Tricare?).
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I wonder who pays his medical insurance.
The VA.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by K Hale »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
I wonder who pays his medical insurance.
The VA.
Ah, of course. Then he must be using it to pay for TC’s chopper’s bullet damage.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#6 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:It’s a given that many times, his clients do not pay him. I remember one episode where Rick makes a remark like “Oh, this must be the one client who paid?” That said, I do wonder where Magnum’s money goes. He must be paying his own utilities, since there was that time everyone thought his phone got shut off because he didn’t pay the bill, and he’s expected to put gas in the Ferrari and maintain it. Other than that, it doesn’t seem like he has a lot of expenses.

I wonder who pays his medical insurance. If he has to pay it himself due to being self-employed, that could take up a lot of money. Or, perhaps it’s part of his Navy pension (Tricare?).
He would have VA access, but if he left at 33 he couldn't have reached 20 years service needed for a military pension. The VA and military pensions are separate entities. Less than 20% of those in the military qualify for a pension. There are exceptions for severe disabilities and some newer options that didn't exist back then. A friend of mine retired O-4 after 20 years in the navy. He's been paying into Social Security ever since and is due to retire in the next few of years with both pensions. That's a nice perk!

As far as where Magnum's money goes when he does get paid, he has food, clothing, and entertainment expenses like everyone else. It was also mentioned more than once that he didn't work a lot of days. He also would be incurring expenses on cases where he doesn't get paid and eating those costs. I think that part of his character was central to the show's premise. I don't have any problem with it. He walked away from the navy and responsibility and was essentially making ends meet as an investigator... with lots of help! A show about a responsible career-navy guy playing it safe and following all the rules would be a very different show indeed..

Lord Ickenham
Lieutenant Commander

#7 Post by Lord Ickenham »

Well, I like TM's childish character too. I only wondered where his money goes away.
There was an episode, when TM tried to make his tax declaration, and TC helped him. And there was a lot of papers (bills).

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by terryfromkerry »

Yes, I think that was Death & Taxes . :magnum:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by K Hale »

And then Higgins walks in and says, “Why all the fuss? I should think it would take no time at all to declare the taxes of one who has no income.” TC thought it was hilarious, Magnum did not. :lol:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by KingKC »

K Hale wrote:And then Higgins walks in and says, “Why all the fuss? I should think it would take no time at all to declare the taxes of one who has no income.” TC thought it was hilarious, Magnum did not. :lol:

The writers may have tailored (and overplayed) some of TM's financial irresponsibility because I have read many times that Selleck wanted a character with flaws, not some golden boy that does everything perfect. That helped make the character and the show what it was. Selleck also played a great Jesse Stone, another character with serious flaws. I don't watch Blue Bloods so I cannot comment on that one.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by K Hale »

KingKC wrote:
K Hale wrote:And then Higgins walks in and says, “Why all the fuss? I should think it would take no time at all to declare the taxes of one who has no income.” TC thought it was hilarious, Magnum did not. :lol:

The writers may have tailored (and overplayed) some of TM's financial irresponsibility because I have read many times that Selleck wanted a character with flaws, not some golden boy that does everything perfect. That helped make the character and the show what it was. Selleck also played a great Jesse Stone, another character with serious flaws. I don't watch Blue Bloods so I cannot comment on that one.
Oh I don’t think we were meant to conclude that he literally had no income. Higgins was just yanking his chain.

I also felt like it implied TC and Higgins got together and straightened out TM’s tax return. TC was already trying to tell him he was doing it wrong. Higgins was coming in to tell Magnum there was a client in the main house, and Magnum got up and left. Then TC started picking up papers and receipts and Higgins moved closer to see what he was doing.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Lord Ickenham
Lieutenant Commander

#12 Post by Lord Ickenham »

I like that scenes, where his friends attack him for money. This makes TM colorful figure, not a playboy. For example: James Bond how can buy the most expensive Aston? Magnum is closer for me with his financial problems... And I adore his "looser" moments too.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Chris109 »

Lord Ickenham
Lieutenant Commander

#14 Post by Lord Ickenham »

OMG. Tom Cruise is blasphemic here. :higgins:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Steve »

Well, Robin Masters certainly saw something in the lad (whomever Mr. Masters was)......The man went into the Navy by way of Annapolis when many were trying to avoid the war and served THREE TOURS! If he wanted live the bohemian life for a few years and languish in the luxury of Robins Nest, he earned it. It took him almost a decade, but when he found out Lily was his, he re-upped and became responsible ...and then......well, I guess we will never know now will we............