What was your introduction to Magnum PI?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Loach
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#16 Post by Loach »

I was introduced to Magnum when I was about 11 years old. I used to record theme songs off the TV of the shows I watched (and some shows I didn't watch) for music to listen to. One of my friends told me to record the them song to this great show that comes on Thursday nights. I set up my tape recorder to get the theme, and what I ended up recording was the "original" theme used in the first few episodes. Of course, while recording, the opening seqences caught my eye, and I watched the entire program. When I took the tape to my friend so we could listen to the music, he told me that was the wrong theme, the one he wnated was the "music with the cool guitar," which as we all know is the "iconic" version. This did not phase me in the least, as I liked the show, so I was finally able to get the "guitar" theme on tape. I guess what happend is I caught the reruns of the first season with the original music, and had to wait to get the "guitar" music when it came around again.

Since then, I have watched it as much as I can, on A&E when it aired at 5pm (which was a good time for me, come home from work and relax to a great show), Hallmark at 6 or 7 pm (also a great time slot), and now WGN at 10 am (not the greatest slot). I was able to catch a few episodes while on vacation. I really need to start collecting the DVDs, as I miss watching the show regularly.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#17 Post by N1095A »

I was 10 in 1980 when Magnum first aired. It was one of the shows I would watch with my dad every weelk without fail. My dad passed away from a heart attack in 1984. By that time Magnum was more than just a TV show to me. It taught us about honor, loyalty, and humor among other things. After my dad passed, Magnum played a large role in the developement of my character. As an adult of 37, I can see many of my character traits can be credited directly to Magnum, TC, Rick, and Higgins.
Last edited by N1095A on Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#18 Post by J.J. Walters »

Bravo N1095A!

It's a pleasure to have you here. Welcome!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#19 Post by N1095A »

James J. Walters wrote:Bravo N1095A!

It's a pleasure to have you here. Welcome!
It's a joy to have found this site. You've done a fantastic job! Magnum PI is a show I have always felt a sort of "kinship" towards. You are doing it justice. Thank You.
"But Higgins, I can explain."