Magnum podcasts

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Magnum podcasts

#1 Post by K Hale »

I thought this subject should have its own thread.

I have been made aware of two Magnum-related podcasts. The first one is the Magnum Rewatch Podcast: https://loadingreadyrun.com/lrrcasts/ar ... ate/desc/_ This is done by two internet comedians who were too young to have seen the series when it originally aired. Pretty good stuff, but they only got halfway through season 2 before stopping.

The other one, which I haven't listened to yet, is the Magnumcast Podcast: https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/th ... dXJy1UHp7/ They didn't get through the whole series either. Judging by the episode titles, maybe they got into season 4?

Does anyone know of any others?
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

Re: Magnum podcasts

#2 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

K Hale wrote:I thought this subject should have its own thread.

I have been made aware of two Magnum-related podcasts. The first one is the Magnum Rewatch Podcast: https://loadingreadyrun.com/lrrcasts/ar ... ate/desc/_ This is done by two internet comedians who were too young to have seen the series when it originally aired. Pretty good stuff, but they only got halfway through season 2 before stopping.

The other one, which I haven't listened to yet, is the Magnumcast Podcast: https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/th ... dXJy1UHp7/ They didn't get through the whole series either. Judging by the episode titles, maybe they got into season 4?

Does anyone know of any others?
The Magnumcast started off well enough. They did one podcast a month covering two episodes. Luke Foster is a “woke’ progressive and eventually he couldn’t just entertain. The podcast descended into a documentation of stereotyping, misogyny, racism, phobias and Foster’s righteousness. His cohost (a much more forgiving Englishman) tried to keep it on track, but it got worse and worse. I only listened to the last few episodes after they gave it up. I really don’t care what your politics are, but if you’re that offended by 80’s network entertainment I suggest you avoid it.
Faith and Begorrah!

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Chris109 »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote: The podcast descended into a documentation of stereotyping, misogyny, racism, phobias and Foster’s righteousness.
What else in life is there?

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by K Hale »

Regarding the Magnum Rewatch, the earlier podcasts are better than the later ones. I am not listening in order, but jumping around a bit to hit on my favorite episodes, and yesterday I listened to their coverage of "Tropical Madness." They don't know the characters well, even though they should know them better than they seem to by this point, and in their attempts to find ways to be hip and clever (Kathleen is much worse than Graham), they are missing a lot of subtext. They completely blew the ending.

It's even worse with "Memories are Forever." I realize these two are comedians, but this episode is simply Not Funny, regardless of how much humor they try to dig out of everything. They do not seem to realize Michelle is part Vietnamese, and when they ask themselves what a "white lady" is doing in Vietnam, Kathleen goes on a several-minutes-long Wikipedia-fueled rant about the history of Vietnam and then segues into how much she loves Vietnamese food. All they really had to say to explain Michelle's presence was that Vietnam was once a colony of France, boom, done, move on. As I pulled up to work and had to cut it off, they had just covered the scene where Magnum is being tailed in Little Saigon by the Vietnamese kid. They seem horrified that Rick picked up the kid, repeating over and over that you cannot pick up a random child. They kept on repeating this in a half dozen different ways. Neither of them seemed to realize Rick was having a semi-flashback, referring to the boy as "Victor Charlie," as he also did in the pilot when he saw the guy tailing Higgins in the nightclub. Both times, that reference went right over their woke heads even though Wikipedia would have explained it to them.

It's starting to edge towards something resembling Mystery Science Theater 3000. Maybe it's best that they quit making this podcast when they did.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by eagle »

I hadn't thought about a Magnum podcast. It would be fun if someone were to do a good one. Hmm...

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Chris109 »

eagle wrote:I hadn't thought about a Magnum podcast. It would be fun if someone were to do a good one. Hmm...
Maybe do a MST3K-type youboob video for the really bad episodes?

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by steveadl »

I would have loved it if the DVD's had directors commentary on them. Now that would be gold!

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Laohu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Well I listened to all the Magnum Rewatch podcasts (finished "The Sixth Position" today) and now I'm aching for more! But there are no more :( and looking at how long ago this last one was recorded it doesn't look like we'll be getting another one any time soon. In fact I emailed Kathleen at Loading Ready Run some months back asking about the current status of the Magnum podcasts and she said they are on hiatus right now but couldn't give me anything specific about when/if they will resume the podcasts. They've got other things going on at the moment. Well, it was fun while it lasted.