Who owns the DVDs?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Do you own the series for the oringal show on DVD?

YES
90%
NO
3%
JUST A FEW
8%

Total votes: 40

Rands
Rear Admiral

Re: Who owns the DVDs?

#16 Post by Rands »

I believe, I was the test subject for the import Blu-rays. I absolutely love having them, and have spent numerous evenings enjoying binge watching Magnum. I did the same thing with Miami Vice, Hell on Wheels, etc. :lol:

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

K Hale wrote:
Chris109 wrote:I bought the first 2 seasons on dvd. Like everyone else, the discs did weird things. I just went the download route and have all the seasons in 1080p. Have them on an external hard drive and plug it into the usb port of the tv or my media player.
This is what I did with my 1080p iTunes downloads. Brilliant picture for this old of a show, far better than the DVDs. Looks like Bluray to me.

So you can download directly from itunes to a hard drive without any format changes?

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by K Hale »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
K Hale wrote:
Chris109 wrote:I bought the first 2 seasons on dvd. Like everyone else, the discs did weird things. I just went the download route and have all the seasons in 1080p. Have them on an external hard drive and plug it into the usb port of the tv or my media player.
This is what I did with my 1080p iTunes downloads. Brilliant picture for this old of a show, far better than the DVDs. Looks like Bluray to me.

So you can download directly from itunes to a hard drive without any format changes?
Yes, I did. You have to set it to download at 1080p and not the lower option. It took forever but I did this for the whole series.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Yes, I did. You have to set it to download at 1080p and not the lower option. It took forever but I did this for the whole series.
I may give this a try the next time they have it for $35. I hate itunes because it's so awkward to navigate, but I already have an extra hard drive with a ton of space on it so it might be worth a 35 buck risk.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by K Hale »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
I may give this a try the next time they have it for $35. I hate itunes because it's so awkward to navigate, but I already have an extra hard drive with a ton of space on it so it might be worth a 35 buck risk.
I hate iTunes too, lol. Plus they are notorious for deleting the content you paid for. You don’t buy from iTunes, they’re merely loaning you the right to play the media you paid for. If they decide the rights have changed, POOF! goes your content. I lost a song this way. That’s why I have all Magnum eps saved.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by steveadl »

Have all the DVD's, but since I travel a lot now I also have the iTunes version. Haven't downloaded them though, so hoping they don't remove them in the future.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by perfectlykevin »

New to the download route. And I should say not an iTunes user or even mac user (not in the last 20 years). What size external hard drive is needed to download from iTunes like others have done here? Are these HD quality or the same as you get from the DVD's?

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by K Hale »

perfectlykevin wrote:New to the download route. And I should say not an iTunes user or even mac user (not in the last 20 years). What size external hard drive is needed to download from iTunes like others have done here? Are these HD quality or the same as you get from the DVD's?
They are HD quality and better than the DVDs. But you must set your iTunes settings to download in 1080 and not 720, which is the default. Before I knew what I was doing, I had started downloading them in 720, and they looked like the DVDs. Which is fine, of course, but it’s just not as good as 1080.

I just checked on my external drive and the folder with all 162 episodes is 260GB.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by perfectlykevin »

Good news, while I own the DVD's I've found them to be glithchy, and not the best resolution (no Magnum pun intended) :) I'm going to look into the download route and play it through that. This way I know I can always have them and HD quality too :)

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by perfectlykevin »

Without sounding like Colombo, just one more question... :)

If I download these from itunes an I play them on my PC (microsoft)?

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by eagle »

perfectlykevin wrote:Without sounding like Colombo, just one more question... :)

They should play on any iTunes capable device, and as far as I know, there's still a supported iTunes for Windows.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by perfectlykevin »

eagle wrote:
perfectlykevin wrote:Without sounding like Colombo, just one more question... :)

They should play on any iTunes capable device, and as far as I know, there's still a supported iTunes for Windows.

OK, sounds good. I should be fine then, just don't want to download to this external had drive and not be able to play on the computer or on the TV we have. :)

Thanks!! :D

Kev

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by K Hale »

Yes. That is exactly what I did. Windows 10 here.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by perfectlykevin »

K Hale wrote:

Yes. That is exactly what I did. Windows 10 here.

Woohoo!! Going to get the download tonight then. Thank you everyone!! :D

Kev

Amian
Admiral

#30 Post by Amian »

About ten years ago, Amazon had some sort of sale (maybe clearing inventory, or getting ready for Blu-Ray) in which each season was $5. I snapped up all 8 seasons in one go for $40. It's the original DVD, so quality isn't excellent, but I'm happy!