Dream come true

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

Dream come true

#1 Post by Mr. Keoki »

Finally made the trek to Waimanalo. The house is gone, but I can't express how incredible it was. I couldn't believe I was there...

Mr. Keoki

"He was Hawaiian. I'm not very good with these names, It ended with an oki or lani"

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

Re: Dream come true

#2 Post by Laohu »

Mr. Keoki wrote:Finally made the trek to Waimanalo. The house is gone, but I can't express how incredible it was. I couldn't believe I was there...

er.

Congratulations, on making one of your dreams come true ! Great pictures I am sure the experience is something you will always remember.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Kevster »

Awesome!!!! Thanks for sharing!

There has been several mentions of sea level rise and the estate, but it doesn't appear to be the issue when looking at your photos. It looks like things are about the same. The ancient square concrete drainage feature in the tidal pool looks to display about the same water level to me. I think that the sand levels behind the estate are not maintained well, so the beach is very limited. They need to do some reclamation and pump sand up...

If I were in charge of filming, I'd be sure to film there at low tide, which is likely what they did back in the 80's.

Love seeing it, until I note the main house is gone....
Trust Me!!!

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#4 Post by Mr. Keoki »

The water did come up pretty high, but yeah I would agree that there hadn't been much "beach maintenance" there for a long time. What makes that notable was the lower beach wall (where magnum was sitting binge drinking after Sharon Stone's suicide) was about chest high on me. I'm 6' 2". So there has definitely been significant sand erosion, rather than higher than normal water levels.

On the way everything was packed, so I figured it would be a zoo. Tried to get a picture of TCs pier/office, but there was nowhere to park. The waimanalo beach park had several parking spots open. I walked up the beach (pretty rocky and about thigh high water) to Robin's Nest. There was a group of people on the sand (edge of the property) and 2 other people near the boat house. That was it. For about an hour I seemingly had the place to myself. I snorkeled around. Amazing day.

I would have stayed longer, but had a ton of other things I wanted to see on my 1 and only day in Hono.
Mr. Keoki

"He was Hawaiian. I'm not very good with these names, It ended with an oki or lani"

Diandra
Captain

#5 Post by Diandra »

It is surreal, isn't it!! We made it to Robins Nest in 2012 and made
sure we took a lot of photos. It is terrible that the house was bulldozed,
but maybe it was beyond repair.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by K Hale »

Beautiful pics! I was also there last week and I too had the place to myself. The key is to go during the week, because on the weekends the parking lot fills up with locals. (I park at the little lot at Kaiona Beach Park, which is much closer than Waimanalo Beach.)
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by K Hale »

Diandra wrote:It is surreal, isn't it!!
I’ll never forget the first time I was there last September, driving west on Kalanianaole when I caught my first sight of Rabbit Island in real life. The trees and houses on the makai side of the road cleared and suddenly there it was. I got really emotional!!
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mr. Keoki wrote:The water did come up pretty high, but yeah I would agree that there hadn't been much "beach maintenance" there for a long time. What makes that notable was the lower beach wall (where magnum was sitting binge drinking after Sharon Stone's suicide) was about chest high on me. I'm 6' 2". So there has definitely been significant sand erosion, rather than higher than normal water levels.

On the way everything was packed, so I figured it would be a zoo. Tried to get a picture of TCs pier/office, but there was nowhere to park. The waimanalo beach park had several parking spots open. I walked up the beach (pretty rocky and about thigh high water) to Robin's Nest. There was a group of people on the sand (edge of the property) and 2 other people near the boat house. That was it. For about an hour I seemingly had the place to myself. I snorkeled around. Amazing day.

I would have stayed longer, but had a ton of other things I wanted to see on my 1 and only day in Hono.
Great pics! The water looks really shallow. Maybe it's the time of year. I can imagine it's very easy now to walk over to Robin's Nest. When I was there last August the waves were slamming against the wall. I couldn't walk over, I had to swim over.

Agree that it's a surreal experience! I had the place to myself and spent 2 hours just swimming and frolicking around the tidal pool (as well as reenacting Magnum's swim and sneak up to the gate from the pilot episode) and just couldn't get myself to leave the place. I couldn't get over the fact that I was THERE! Plus the weather was so beautiful and sunny and the waves nice and big.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by perfectlykevin »

Beautiful pics!! I wish I'd gotten some when I was there in 2010. Hoping to make it back there sometime in the next 2 years :)

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Congratulations for making the trip.

While I have always enjoyed returning to there over the years, there is nothing like being on that beach and catching Rabbit Island for the first time.

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

#11 Post by Hawaii Winds »

Nice pictures, thanks for the update.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Steve »

Very cool, and looking good in the red Jungle Bird shirt!

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#13 Post by Mr. Keoki »

Thank you for the kind words. Work has brought me back to the lovely island of Oahu. I'm going to try and get out there one more time. Who knows when I'll be here again. :magnum:
Mr. Keoki

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#14 Post by ConchRepublican »

Amazing experience being there, ain't it?

So glad another Maniac had the ability to make the Pilgrimage!!!

:magnum:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04