At what age did you discover MPI?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

Re: At what age did you discover MPI?

#31 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

I was four when the show premiered and twelve when it ended but, even though I was vaguely aware of its existence and I loved action shows as a kid, I somehow managed to avoid watching a single episode either in its original run or on syndication.

Then some years ago I saw Magnum PI mentioned in some online article, I think it was about 80's shows. When I read the description I thought to myself "How did I manage to miss this back then? It sounds great, just the kind of show I would have loved back then". I was in the middle of what you could call an existential crisis, and the thought a show about badass adventure and male camaraderie, and a virgin show no less that I could have the pleasure of watching for the first time was just what the doctor ordered, so I blindly ordered the Season 1 DVD. From the first scene in the pilot where Magnum swims to the estate I knew I had struck gold, and I got hooked immediately. I ended watching every single episode of every season several times.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by K Hale »

It premiered in 1980 so I was 9. My whole family watched it. Back then there was one TV and everyone had to agree on what to watch. Higgins soon emerged as everyone’s favorite character, including my dad, a WW2 veteran who referred to him as Higgie Baby.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#33 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:It premiered in 1980 so I was 9. My whole family watched it. Back then there was one TV and everyone had to agree on what to watch. Higgins soon emerged as everyone’s favorite character, including my dad, a WW2 veteran who referred to him as Higgie Baby.
I was 9 in 1980 also. It's my mother who watched the show, not my dad. She clearly thought Tom Selleck easy on the eyes. LOL! I remember her talking about the new show with my aunt and a female neighbor, and they were no small fans of Selleck. I don't remember her watching it in later years, but I watched it all the way through into high school. It was way back then, in the last years of the show, that I started sketching Pahonu! It was also syndicated by that point an on every weekday afternoon. I remember reading something back then about how Magnum's syndication revenue was the largest of any TV series up to that point in time.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by K Hale »

Pahonu wrote:
K Hale wrote:It premiered in 1980 so I was 9. My whole family watched it. Back then there was one TV and everyone had to agree on what to watch. Higgins soon emerged as everyone’s favorite character, including my dad, a WW2 veteran who referred to him as Higgie Baby.
I was 9 in 1980 also. It's my mother who watched the show, not my dad. She clearly thought Tom Selleck easy on the eyes. LOL! I remember her talking about the new show with my aunt and a female neighbor, and they were no small fans of Selleck. I don't remember her watching it in later years, but I watched it all the way through into high school. It was way back then, in the last years of the show, that I started sketching Pahonu! It was also syndicated by that point an on every weekday afternoon. I remember reading something back then about how Magnum's syndication revenue was the largest of any TV series up to that point in time.
Strangely, I didn’t watch it in syndication but got back into it a year or so ago and got all the DVDs. Of course now I get much more out of it than I did as a kid.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!