Magnum on ITUNES!!!!!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

Re: Magnum on ITUNES!!!!!

#46 Post by Kevster »

Thanks for the update. I'm curious if it's worth the hassle, and you're the best barometer right now.
Trust Me!!!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by T.Q. »

K Hale wrote:Update on my situation. Turns out I can play the episodes on my computer, in iTunes, it just takes a while for it to get started, and sometimes I have to start it more than once. Right now, I am experimenting with downloading the first two episodes, one in 720 and one in 1080, and comparing the quality. I may get that DRmare software and convert the files to be able to have a backup on external media that I can store safely. You never know when stuff you thought you bought digitally can suddenly disappear. Amazon recently removed most of their MPI offerings.

I’ve downloaded episode 1 in 720 and the quality is terrific, far better than my DVDs. Next will be seeing if episode 2, which will be in 1080, has a sufficiently greater increase in quality to make up for the increase in file size.
This is interesting. Please let us know.

My guess is your eye won’t see much difference between 720 (I thought it was 780) and 1080 but I’m very curious if you do.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by K Hale »

Well, my computer is back to not allowing me to play the episodes via iTunes. So I went ahead and sprung for the DRmare software and am downloading the episodes and converting them to mp4 that can be played anywhere. There is little or no loss in quality (it is supposed to be lossless conversion) and I am going for the 1080 quality. I think I can see a small improvement vs. 720, and the file size is only a little bigger, so to me it's worth it to have the highest quality saved. For example, the first half of the pilot in 720 is 1.39GB and the second half in 1080 is 1.56GB. I have an external backup drive on the way from Best Buy that I can use to store these.

I was going to demonstrate a quality comparison using screen captures, but now I can't get iTunes to play the episodes...
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by T.Q. »

K Hale wrote:quality. I think I can see a small improvement vs. 720, and the file size is only a little bigger
That’s awesome. Thanks for the report.

If the quality is better and files not much bigger I won’t be deleting the 1080 and starting from scratch downloading and converting 720.

Not worth the time and effort to get just one extra episode on a widget.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Chris109 »

You guys do know there is another way to get these vids. Not exactly the legit way, e-hem. But, I figure, "What the hell. Let 'em come get me". Conscience? Lost that a long time ago. Like when you pay $20 bucks for a movie that sucks and you can't get your money back. Or when you're sitting at a bar and a woman walks in looking for a seat and she says to her friend, while staring at you, "You know if this guy was a gentleman, he would give up his seat for a lady." At which point you look at her and respond, "Well, if there was a lady around I certainly would."

I have the first few seasons in 720 and the later ones in 1080. Parts of them are grainy, just because. But, the quality is very excellent.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by T.Q. »

Chris109 wrote:You guys do know there is another way to get these vids. Not exactly the legit way, e-hem. But, I figure, "What the hell. Let 'em come get me". Conscience? Lost that a long time ago. Like when you pay $20 bucks for a movie that sucks and you can't get your money back. Or when you're sitting at a bar and a woman walks in looking for a seat and she says to her friend, while staring at you, "You know if this guy was a gentleman, he would give up his seat for a lady." At which point you look at her and respond, "Well, if there was a lady around I certainly would."

I have the first few seasons in 720 and the later ones in 1080. Parts of them are grainy, just because. But, the quality is very excellent.
I bought the series long time ago but the DVDs are toast. I have no problem torrenting content I have bought before*.

I got the entire series that way previously. Low-res AVI files.

Getting Hi-res is a different matter. Don’t think you’ll find online. Took big parts of 2 days downloading the files from iTunes.

I think it was worth it. They look better than I’ve ever seen.

* My favourite band was always Rush. They constantly released remastered CDs in the 2000. Considering I bought the music in cassette form in the 80s... and all the CDs in the 90s... I had no feelings of guilt ‘e-hem’ getting the music elsewhere. :P

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by K Hale »

I am willing to pay to get superior quality. Sorry to hear about your troubles in the bar.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Amian
Admiral

#53 Post by Amian »

T.Q. wrote: I bought the series long time ago but the DVDs are toast.
Do you mean they are scratched up, or do they actually wear out? I'm sweating now because I have the series on DVD and am now suddenly worried I'm going to be SOL in a few years.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Chris109 »

T.Q. wrote:
I bought the series long time ago but the DVDs are toast. I have no problem torrenting content I have bought before*.

I got the entire series that way previously. Low-res AVI files.

Getting Hi-res is a different matter. Don’t think you’ll find online. Took big parts of 2 days downloading the files from iTunes.

I think it was worth it. They look better than I’ve ever seen.
(whisper, whisper) rargb (whisper,whisper)

I got the first season on original dvd. Quality sucked the 'big fish'.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by T.Q. »

Amian wrote:
T.Q. wrote: I bought the series long time ago but the DVDs are toast.
Do you mean they are scratched up, or do they actually wear out? I'm sweating now because I have the series on DVD and am now suddenly worried I'm going to be SOL in a few years.
No, just old, used and scratched. Probably 12 years old.

They were these dumb DVDs that you flipped and had episodes on both sides.

I’m sure had I treated them better they’d be fine.

jeffran
Captain

#56 Post by jeffran »

Whoa, I just looked out of curiosity and the complete series is now $29.99 (in the US, for me) on iTunes. Get it while you can!

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#57 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

I found it today in HD on Amazon for streaming. It’s a little more expensive at $15USD per season, but it’s a much more accessible option.
Faith and Begorrah!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by K Hale »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote:I found it today in HD on Amazon for streaming. It’s a little more expensive at $15USD per season, but it’s a much more accessible option.
Not all seasons are available though.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Not all seasons are available though.
Amazon had all seasons available until a couple of weeks ago, but season's 2 "Wave Goodbye" was not available. So you had to buy season 2 as separate episodes which costs more than the $15 per season.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#60 Post by Nikita70 »

Back on sale today, $29.99

I finally got it in HD!