Magnum on ITUNES!!!!!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

Re: Magnum on ITUNES!!!!!

#31 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Can they only be viewed on an apple device or an apple tv streamer? I only have a Roku.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Kevster »

I'm waiting patiently for a true B.R., or maybe a non-iTunes HD version at that price. I don't do iTunes anymore.
Trust Me!!!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by T.Q. »

Well, should have researched more (listened to my little voice).

Downloads are M4V and DO NOT play on my Samsung TV.

Wonderful. Thanks Apple.

I buy a series and can only watch on what YOU want me to watch on.

Ugh!

Guess I'm forced buy a converter and change them all to MP4. Double UGH!!
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Kevster »

T.Q. wrote:Well, should have researched more (listened to my little voice).

Wonderful. Thanks Apple.

Ugh!

Sorry to hear...

Hence, the reason I won't be buying from Apple... Every time I have purchased from them in the past, I've regretted it. They want you to only use their devices. I sense a "our way or the highway" mentality to their business model, and I take the highway.
Trust Me!!!

DavidGideon
Ensign

#35 Post by DavidGideon »

Taking forever to download (I notice only 780p can be downloaded).
iTunes preferences includes a setting to download large HD files or just 720p. When you set that properly it will download 1080p.

But you do need an Apple playback platform: either iTunes on a PC (which you may be able to output to an HD tv) or an iPhone, iPad, or AppleTV. A cheap used AppleTV might be a less troublesome way to watch rather than trying to crack the digital protection on all those files but that's your call.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by T.Q. »

DavidGideon wrote:
Taking forever to download (I notice only 780p can be downloaded).
iTunes preferences includes a setting to download large HD files or just 720p. When you set that properly it will download 1080p.

But you do need an Apple playback platform: either iTunes on a PC (which you may be able to output to an HD tv) or an iPhone, iPad, or AppleTV. A cheap used AppleTV might be a less troublesome way to watch rather than trying to crack the digital protection on all those files but that's your call.
I’m pretty ticked.

There should be a WARNING on Apple “only playable on Apple devices or software”.

Could never imagine buying a series or movie and not actually buying the series or movie.

I had never even heard of m4v files or Apple’s drm encryption.

Regardless, I bought it. I should be able to watch it where I choose.

Almost fraudulent IMHO. :|
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

DavidGideon
Ensign

#37 Post by DavidGideon »

Go to your account, look at your purchases, you'll see report a problem with this item or words to that effect by the listing for your Magnum purchase. Tell them you bought it by mistake, haven't watched it yet, and they'll usually give you a full refund.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by T.Q. »

DavidGideon wrote:Go to your account, look at your purchases, you'll see report a problem with this item or words to that effect by the listing for your Magnum purchase. Tell them you bought it by mistake, haven't watched it yet, and they'll usually give you a full refund.
I completely downloaded to my hard drive though.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Wonderful. Thanks Apple.

Ugh!

Yes, Apple is evil - as are all large corporations. However, you can use the free Handbrake application to convert M4V to any other format.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Kevster »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:

Wonderful. Thanks Apple.

Ugh!

Yes, Apple is evil - as are all large corporations. However, you can use the free Handbrake application to convert M4V to any other format.
Please let us know how that works out T.Q. If you succeed, I may do the MPI 1080 from iTunes and immediately convert it.

I need to get a burner too. If I start downloading video media, I want to get it to disc. My 2005 42" plasma has one of the best pictures I've ever seen short of a smaller 4K, and I'd just as soon get it on B.R. format to watch in the Living Room.

I will be picking up a 36" - 55" smart TV next year to use as a wall-mounted monitor for my laptop. I'm not sure what will be best at a distance of 4'. I do know that I prefer the sharp warmth of a plasma for TV viewing.
Trust Me!!!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by T.Q. »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:

Wonderful. Thanks Apple.

Ugh!

Handbreak looks cool but it doesn’t seem to convert DRM encrypted videos according to articles.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by T.Q. »

Kevster wrote:
Mad Kudu Buck wrote:

Wonderful. Thanks Apple.

Ugh!

Please let us know how that works out T.Q. If you succeed, I may do the MPI 1080 from iTunes and immediately convert it.

I need to get a burner too. If I start downloading video media, I want to get it to disc. My 2005 42" plasma has one of the best pictures I've ever seen short of a smaller 4K, and I'd just as soon get it on B.R. format to watch in the Living Room.

I will be picking up a 36" - 55" smart TV next year to use as a wall-mounted monitor for my laptop. I'm not sure what will be best at a distance of 4'. I do know that I prefer the sharp warmth of a plasma for TV viewing.
Seems I’m forced to buy a program to convert the show I bought.

Looking at this one. https://www.drmare.com/convert-itunes-v ... o-mp4.html

What a joke Apple is. Never buying anything from them again. Tempted to even phase out my iPod and iPhone when they need replacing.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by T.Q. »

Update:

So I redownloaded in 1080p.

Had to buy the program for $45.

Converted season one to mp4.

Just tested on my Samsung TV.

It does look GREAT. Can see the hairs on Magnum’s legs. :shock:

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Still ticked at Apple’s shenanigans. Turned $29.99 into $74.99 for the HD. :?

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by T.Q. »

Update 2 (or is it 3? 4?):

Anyways, might start from complete scratch.

Although successful the 1080p files are massive.

162 episodes (at 45 minutes each) is like 81 HD movies.

Only 4 episodes fit on a widget and the series takes up half my hard-drive. :shock:

Might redo in 780p.

Problem is it took a day and a half to download and then another day to convert m4v to mp4. :P

Cheers.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by K Hale »

Update on my situation. Turns out I can play the episodes on my computer, in iTunes, it just takes a while for it to get started, and sometimes I have to start it more than once. Right now, I am experimenting with downloading the first two episodes, one in 720 and one in 1080, and comparing the quality. I may get that DRmare software and convert the files to be able to have a backup on external media that I can store safely. You never know when stuff you thought you bought digitally can suddenly disappear. Amazon recently removed most of their MPI offerings.

I’ve downloaded episode 1 in 720 and the quality is terrific, far better than my DVDs. Next will be seeing if episode 2, which will be in 1080, has a sufficiently greater increase in quality to make up for the increase in file size.
Last edited by K Hale on Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!