Should I move to Oahu?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Nifty911
Captain

Re: Should I move to Oahu?

#16 Post by Nifty911 »

A lot has changed since the early 80s.

About 10 years ago I considered this (work there at one of the bases) but after really studying everything, doing some dry run calculations, just couldn't justify it, much less actually really afford it. I don't have school age children anymore, but at the time we weren't thrilled with the schools when we checked into those. Moving cost (to there) weren't cheap. Traffic was (and still is) a problem.

On the darker side, I got indication from different sources that there were a lot of areas you just wouldn't want to venture into.

My son was in the service and ported on Oahu a lot, but he liked the other islands better. My niece and her husband recently spent last summer there and both came back "tired" of it. They now live in London.

If I was offered a job to go there today, I'd probably turn it down.

Crockett
Lieutenant

#17 Post by Crockett »

Almost 5 years later and I'm going to update my own thread and the idea of moving to the islands.

I ran the numbers several times. In the end I wasn't willing to pay 2 million plus for a new and modern house, or compromise with something old. The left wing politics are the other factor that kept me away.

I don't have to pay any state income tax here in Florida. That alone saves me enough money in order to buy a new small car every year. Right now we have the best governor in decades and many important to me rights are protected.

So I ended up buying a new house in FL, on a lake, and 2 miles from the beach.

I'm out in the ocean almost every day.

Sunsets are on another level.

I also ended up buying my modern version of a red 308.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by terryfromkerry »

Congratulations Crockett. Looks idyllic. Here's to a long and happy life there 🍾🥂
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by charybdis1966 »

Crockett wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:45 am Almost 5 years later and I'm going to update my own thread and the idea of moving to the islands.

I ran the numbers several times. In the end I wasn't willing to pay 2 million plus for a new and modern house, or compromise with something old. The left wing politics are the other factor that kept me away.

I don't have to pay any state income tax here in Florida. That alone saves me enough money in order to buy a new small car every year. Right now we have the best governor in decades and many important to me rights are protected.

I am envious of you Crockett, but happy for you too.

Looks like choosing FL is the wisest decision you'll ever make. Kudos.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Florida's tough to beat! :lol:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by T.Q. »

Crockett wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:45 am Almost 5 years later and I'm going to update my own thread and the idea of moving to the islands.

Sweet setup. Looks great.

I could adjust to life in Hawai'i me thinks. Been living Island life for 20 years.

But I'm Canadian and have a sweet gig here in The Bahamas. Income tax FREE. Bwahahahaahaha :lol:

I can also just pretend every once and a while when the locals say "Bui" or "Ni**a" (sidenote: not offensive to Bahamians) that they're saying "Brah" or "Bruddah". :P

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Chris109 »

T.Q. wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:23 pm

Sweet setup. Looks great.

I could adjust to life in Hawai'i me thinks. Been living Island life for 20 years.

But I'm Canadian and have a sweet gig here in The Bahamas. Income tax FREE. Bwahahahaahaha :lol:

I can also just pretend every once and a while when the locals say "Bui" or "Ni**a" (sidenote: not offensive to Bahamians) that they're saying "Brah" or "Bruddah". :P

Is it just me or does it look like those buildings are ready to fall over? Railings are wavy looking. Buildings leaning forward. Have they been imbibing?

Crockett
Lieutenant

#23 Post by Crockett »

terryfromkerry wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:50 am Congratulations Crockett. Looks idyllic. Here's to a long and happy life there 🍾🥂

🥂

I miss Spain (and France too). I used to make trips to Valencia all the time when I was still living in Europe. The amount of culture, the food, the friendships you can find easily, are unmatched.

Crockett
Lieutenant

#24 Post by Crockett »

terryfromkerry wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:50 am Congratulations Crockett. Looks idyllic. Here's to a long and happy life there 🍾🥂
Thanks.

I invested about 15 years in order to come over here. It was my main goal in life. I paid a heavy price... the stress took a toll on my health. As a Brit, I'd look into the Bahamas or some of the other island nations, if that's an option for you.

Crockett
Lieutenant

#25 Post by Crockett »

T.Q. wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:23 pm Sweet setup. Looks great.

So you are just around the corner :D

Make sure to make use of those water sports!

Crockett
Lieutenant

#26 Post by Crockett »

Chris109 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:56 pm Is it just me or does it look like those buildings are ready to fall over? Railings are wavy looking. Buildings leaning forward. Have they been imbibing?
It's called Barrel Distortion, an issue with lower end wide-angle camera lenses.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by T.Q. »

Crockett wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:44 pm
Chris109 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:56 pm Is it just me or does it look like those buildings are ready to fall over? Railings are wavy looking. Buildings leaning forward. Have they been imbibing?
It's called Barrel Distortion, an issue with lower end wide-angle camera lenses.
Lower end? Dat my wife’s expensive Samsung phone. :shock:

:P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#28 Post by Aloha Friday »

Thanks for the update Crockett...I really like the red Vette. Good choice staying in Florida.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#29 Post by Pahonu »

I would love to live and retire in Hawaii, but my wife and I have created a wonderful lifestyle on the water here in Southern California and HI would be much more expensive. I have been to South Florida and the Keys before, but the climate is not to my liking. It’s far too humid in the summer months. It’s almost intolerable in some circumstances. Some of my friends living in South Florida describe it as AC only weather. On the contrary, we leave our doors and windows open all day in the summer months along the coast here in Long Beach, CA. Our visits to Hawaii felt much better than Florida during the same months because of the trades. In terms of climate alone, it would be coastal SoCal, Hawaii, and southern Fl in that order, hands down. Judging on affordability, it would pretty much be the reverse, but since we have established a life on the marina in Long Beach, with our sailboat and dinghy, and other water activities all around, we’re not going anywhere. We feel very fortunate to have such a wonderful climate and water lifestyle at our doorstep.

Crockett
Lieutenant

#30 Post by Crockett »

Aloha Friday wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:02 am Thanks for the update Crockett...I really like the red Vette. Good choice staying in Florida.

Thanks. I'm a deal hunter. Spending 300k or more on a new Ferrari that is only slightly "faster" makes little sense in my world. I was on the list for the new C8 but got tired of waiting. At that time everybody wanted the new Vette, and the remaining C7s sat on the lots. Got mine for 48k out the door. I added a few tricks, it now sits at 580 horses to the rear wheels, plenty to get in trouble. Had a white Z51 before but that was an oil burning lemon.

I thought about buying a 308 several times, but parts are not easy to find, they need constant maintenance and will still break.

All that being said, my real happy place is the ocean, being in the ocean and swimming. Magnum treading water for over a day was the most iconic episode I watched when I was still a kid. Ever since I was on the hunt of tropical beaches and a warm ocean. I'm known to all local lifeguards as the only one that swims the coastline up and down for 2 to 3 hours, out 300 yards, several times a week, year round.

The Rolex Pepsi in that episode also started my passion for Swiss (and German) dive watches.

I have countless of these moments and shots...