Magim’s Fashion Faux Pas

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Danno
Fleet Admiral

Re: Magim’s Fashion Faux Pas

#31 Post by Danno »

The short shorts are funny. Magnum is funny. The whole thing is sort of hilarious. It's the 80s, what's not to like?

I've never been a fan of the team ring though. Hideous looking thing.

There are certainly braver fashion decisions going on then than what's on TV today.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Chronosport
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#32 Post by Chronosport »

Stelth wrote:You spelled "Magnum" wrong on a Magnum P.I. website and you're questioning my wit? Just fix your error and lighten up.
Oh, it’s a typo. Who cares? The whole thread was meant to be lighthearted. It’s reflecting on the sartorial tastes of a fictional tv detective (or private investigator) from a show that ended 30 years ago—albeit a very good show. But now I find this rather tedious. Adieu.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
Yes, pink shirts look ridiculous on a man. If Tom Selleck can't pull it off, who can?
I can and I am often getting genuinely complimented for it ;)
That being said, Short Shorts have been the norm in the 80s, Bermudas where regarded as old man's pants.

So, I wouldn't call them a faux-pas and imo people should stop judging movies and series like as they have been made for eternity.

They have been made back then - for contemporary audiences and noone gave a rats a.. about how people would think about those details 35 years later......

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Little Garwood »

There's nothing wrong with a man wearing a pink shirt. However, when it comes to wearing suspenders AND a belt, I draw the line, and I hope everyone else will too. ;)

Back in the 1940s, the style was high-waisted trousers, which is why neckties tended to be short and stubby in order to compensate for the space taken up by the high waist. In the late '70s-early '80s, athletic socks were higher up on the leg because the shorts also were.

Do these styles look ridiculous now? Yes. Do we look back and laugh over these eras and their questionable fashion choices? Absolutely. However, at least as far as I'm concerned, this is done with affection and with no malice whatsoever.

Some of the posts in this thread have been most un-Magnum-Mania-like in their hostility. This should have been a topic we could all have a laugh over, but somehow it hasn't turned out that way.
Last edited by Little Garwood on Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#35 Post by ConchRepublican »

Bondtoys.de wrote:
Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
Yes, pink shirts look ridiculous on a man. If Tom Selleck can't pull it off, who can?
I can and I am often getting genuinely complimented for it ;)
That being said, Short Shorts have been the norm in the 80s, Bermudas where regarded as old man's pants.

So, I wouldn't call them a faux-pas and imo people should stop judging movies and series like as they have been made for eternity.

They have been made back then - for contemporary audiences and noone gave a rats a.. about how people would think about those details 35 years later......
Wait, pink shirts look ridiculous on a man? Thry are a regular part of my rotation and look great paired with a grey or blue suit. I have a pink V-neck tee that looks just fine as well (paired with my Flemingo Key hosts jacket, of course!).
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by K Hale »

My opinion is that pink is just a color and men look fine in it as they also look fine in blue, green, red etc.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by KingKC »

Secure men can wear pink. In fact it was somewhat popular and fashionable back in the early 90s to wear a light pink shirt with a medium gray suit and a gray, red and purple tie. I had an outfit like that and saw several men that also did.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Stelth »

True. But a secure man also has standards he won't abandon even when societal opinions go against him.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#39 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote:
Do these styles look ridiculous now? Yes. Do we look back and laugh over these eras and their questionable fashion choices? Absolutely. However, at least as far as I'm concerned, this is done with affection and with no malice whatsoever.

Some of the posts in this thread have been most un-Magnum-Mania-like in their hostility. This should have been a topic we could all have a laugh over, but somehow it hasn't turned out that way.
I agree with both points. The things we're wearing now will likely look funny, maybe even ridiculous, to the population in another 30+ years. I know my mom has family photos of me as a child in the 70's wearing some pretty groovy plaid pants! :lol: Not that those were my choice then, but there's my 70 year old grandpa in the same photo with a leisure suit. :shock: I don't really have a lot of opinions on fashion and, to be completely honest, was a bit surprised at the intensity of some of the responses, but different things are important to different people.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Image

Not really fashion-related, but what the hell is that with his chest hair?
Seems that they have dreadlocked a chess-pattern with it......

ConchRepublican

#41 Post by ConchRepublican »

Aside from my closet full of aloha shirts, few things last the test of time like blue jeans, motorcycle or cowboy boots, a tee shirt and a leather jacket.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#42 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Strong opinions on fashion around here...as I sit an type with my flip flops and pink Lacoste on! I think my shorts are an appropriate length.

It's funny how the early 80s fashions (seen in Mangum, at least) seem to have aged better than the mid to late 80s. Even Magnum's haircut - when it got a bit mullety - just looks dorky compared to the earlier seasons' shaggy locks. Maybe that too will change with time? I tend to agree with whoever said Selleck basically made most things look good. Tall guy with big shoulders athletic body...maybe it's just the pink shirt talking though... :lol:
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Danno »

ConchRepublican wrote:Aside from my closet full of aloha shirts
How often do you wear your aloha shirts, Pete?

I have three Paradise Found shirts and never wear them. I put one on then decide I look like I should be serving drinks at the Honolulu Hilton.
Styles Bitchley wrote:as I sit an type with my flip flops and pink Lacoste on!
Just don't pop that collar, Styles. :wink:
Styles Bitchley wrote:It's funny how the early 80s fashions (seen in Mangum, at least) seem to have aged better than the mid to late 80s.
What is it, Magim, Mangum, Magnum? I can't keep up anymore! :lol:
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Stelth »

Speling is harrd!

ConchRepublican

#45 Post by ConchRepublican »

Danno wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:Aside from my closet full of aloha shirts
How often do you wear your aloha shirts, Pete?

I have three Paradise Found shirts and never wear them. I put one on then decide I look like I should be serving drinks at the Honolulu Hilton.
How often do I wear them? I think you mean how often DON'T I wear them? I pretty much wear them all the time. Even working, I wear more stylish Tommy Bahama shirts. It's a plus I own my own company, but it has become my calling card with clients. :-) My tee shirts are mostly bar shirts from the Florida Keys or Magnum inspired and if not one of those, it's the khaki safari shirt and jeans.
CoziTV Superfan spot