T.M.`s jeans

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Klaus
Lieutenant Commander

#16 Post by Klaus »

One question about Navy issued jeans:

Are guys serving provided them by the Navy? Or is it the Navy´s "label" which can be bought by regular folks, too?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#17 Post by J.J. Walters »

Klaus wrote:Are guys serving provided them by the Navy?
Yep, good 'ol Navy Dungarees!

I could have sworn Magnum wore a pair faded Navy dungarees a couple of times in Season One, but I can't find any pictures. Weird. :?

I suspect Magnum probably doesn't really care what kind of jeans he wears, as long as he got them on sale and they fit good. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#18 Post by eegorr »

Klaus wrote:I never new TS made Marlboro commercials! :shock:
I knew I had read that somewhere, but it may not be true. He is not mentioned on the Marlboro Man page of Wikipedia.

But there is mention of him here:
Do you remember the Marlboro Man? He was a fixture on Sunset Strip for years. I just had to know what happened to the hunk. "By law you can't advertise tobacco," Lane said. "That's why the Marlboro Man came down in the late-nineties."

What works in selling products...celebrities? "They used to be used a lot in the thirties and forties, but in recent years we haven't seen much except for the Marlboro Man who later turned out to be Tom Selleck," said Ed.

Billboards in West Hollywood: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

I agree, it doesn't seem like something Selleck would do, but he did a lot of modeling and commercials early in his career when he may not have been so principled!

Can anyone shed any more light on this mystery? :?

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#19 Post by grapeshot »

A&E ran a biography about him this past weekend, and they showed clips of him riding a horse in a Marlboro commercial. I don't know when cigarette advertising was banned on television, but it is conceivable that he is old enough to have been in some ads on TV. That is, assuming the clips were actual Marlboro ad clips, and not outtakes from one of his very early TV westerns that the show mistakenly labeled as ads. (I don't think that Biography was making it up, but cigarette ads on tv were banned many years ago.)

He was also the face for Chaz, a men's cologne made by Revlon. There's a famous picture of him in a tuxedo, wearing cowboy boots, and leaning against a hood of a red car. Here's an image.

Klaus
Lieutenant Commander

#20 Post by Klaus »

Here´s what google.com spit out about cigarette tv spots (article must be paid for, but the headline says it all):

"So Rich, Mild, and Fresh": A Critical Look at TV Cigarette ...
- [ Diese Seite übersetzen ]
For more than twenty years—until they were banned in 1971—cigarette commercials were a staple of American television. During this period, tobacco companies ...
jci.sagepub.com/cgi/content/refs/25/1/55 -

So 1971...well, he must´ve been very young when he did the commercials.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

TS was never a "Marlboro Man". He was a "Salem Man"!

link (scroll down to 'Milestones')

Strange. He would have been perfect for a "Marlboro Man".

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#22 Post by eegorr »

James J. Walters wrote:TS was never a "Marlboro Man". He was a "Salem Man"!

link (scroll down to 'Milestones')

Strange. He would have been perfect for a "Marlboro Man".
I don't think you can completely rule it out based on this statement, James:
Did commercials for Salem cigarettes and Revlon.

The suggestion in the quote I posted from that article was that he appeared on a billboard as a Marlboro Man, not in commercials. I was thinking that he might not have done advertising for the tobacco companies as a matter of conscience, but apparently his conscience was not as well developed then as it is now! He was probably a smoker in his youth, which made it easier, I guess.

Salem and Marlboro are products from different tobacco companies, but it is possible he did both at different times. It is unlikely that he had any kind of long-term contract with either of them in the seventies, when he was a relative unkown.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#23 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sorry eegorr, I didn't see that link before. The way he describes it, it almost sounds like he is being "tongue-in-cheek" about it, because Selleck looks so much like the old Marlboro Man.

Also, Selleck himself has denied ever being a Marlboro Man (and confirmed that he was a "Salem Man")- KCET, L.A., Life & Times Tonight, 2002 (about half way down the transcript).

Still, multiple respectable sources (including ThrillingDetective) claim Selleck was indeed the Marlboro Man for a short period of time. Hmmm.

:?
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#24 Post by rubber chicken »

Personally I wouldn't apply today's atmosphere around smoking to the early 70s or whenever he might have done advertising work for cigarette companies. It's just my personal opinion but I don't see anything bad about it. People smoked more back then and it wasn't a big deal. I guess I just don't like movements where self-rightous people tell others what they should or shouldn't do.

In any case, we know from this Cigar Aficionado article that Selleck has regularly smoked cigars (and likely still does?)
He is not a heavy smoker--perhaps five or six cigars a month, he says, unless he is on location, when he smokes more frequently. "I love to smoke a cigar and read a script. I have a house with a high ceiling, and I also have a room for smoking. I like the contemplative aspect of cigars, the sheer pleasure of a good one. They're just remarkable, and smoking one is such a relaxing thing to do."

Another reason he loves cigars, he says, is because "they're so wonderfully politically incorrect now. The '60s child in me just loves the fact that I'm fighting against the trend. There are a lot of things about cigars I love because of the anarchist in me. A lot of people are doing that. The cigar business is booming, and it's lovely in that sense."

And the antismoking movement? "I wouldn't smoke cigars if I thought they were that detrimental to one's health. Solutions to problems in a free society are messy. There are no magic bullets, no bumper-sticker solutions. If we want an authoritarian state, we can continue to do the kind of stuff we're doing now about smoking."
Rings true to me at least, even though I've never smoked anything in my life. So anyway, sorry I couldn't add any facts to whether or not he was the Marlboro Man, but we know more about his smoking habits at least.

philo120
Ensign

speaking about rubber chicken...

#25 Post by philo120 »

By the way, does anybody know where to find the famous rubber chicken (named nestor if the french translation is correct!!) sorry if it has been already said in a post!!!!!

MBJR9
Commander

#26 Post by MBJR9 »

Back on the topic of jeans, over the past 2-3 weeks I've watched the first season and most of the second seasons. I've seen two styles throughout the episodes, one being the Navy issue and the second being Levi's (the red tag is always visable at least once).

MBJR9
Commander

#27 Post by MBJR9 »

Also, here is a pic of Tom as a "Salem Man" take in either '76 or '77, I can't remember which.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by zebra3 »

MBJR9 wrote:Back on the topic of jeans, over the past 2-3 weeks I've watched the first season and most of the second seasons. I've seen two styles throughout the episodes, one being the Navy issue and the second being Levi's (the red tag is always visable at least once).
I apologize for bringing a long dead thread back from the brink. Not that the original writer is still around much anyway. I guess my concern is the same as has been brought up, and I think I'd like to see what 2010's forum members have to contribute to the topic.
I've been out looking for more pants lately since one of my nicer pairs of jeans got a hole in a place that should not have any visible holes. :oops:
That and it's cold now and I need pants not shorts. My problem is, the modern fit. I mean, todays stuff has no room in the one area that I need some room. I don't want a baggy pant at all, but the slim (not "skinny" fits, have no room for the "no fly zone". I don't want to wear stuff WAY below the waist.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#29 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I don't think those jeans he wears are Navy issue. Navy issue jeans are serious bell bottoms. They could pass for a type of work jeans but they aren't Navy dungarees.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by perfectlykevin »

I think the navy issue jeans were best seen in the pilot episode, though alot of times after that the red tag of Levis is sually seen (and has been shown in a a few screen caps now) :)

As for modern jeans, I'm with you on that. Most modern fits are below the waist but one can still find the classic Levis in many different styles and fits. I prefer the classic relaxed fit with a slight taper to the ankles. What I do m,iss is the option of a button fly. :D

Kev