Looking for a cheaper alternative to the Pepsi GMT?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

Looking for a cheaper alternative to the Pepsi GMT?

#1 Post by perfectlykevin »

OK, so watching Home From the Sea got me into Magnum, and a love for wristwatches. 8) If you've ever longed for the Magnum GMT but didn't want to fork out several thousand for a wristwatch, give Davosa a try. The now make a Pepsi GMT which comes in at 39mm (excluding crown), quartz movement and mineral crystal. Oh, and you have to find your own steel band, but otherwise a decent looking watch or stunt-double to your Rolex :)

https://www.davosa.com/en/gents/show-al ... iver?c=495

MagnumsGMTMaster
Commander

Re: Looking for a cheaper alternative to the Pepsi GMT?

#2 Post by MagnumsGMTMaster »

There are dozens of brands that make homages to the Rolex GMT-Master Pepsi that Magnum wore (and Selleck still wears). Squale makes a version for about $800. Steinhart makes one for about $600. But if you want a cheaper version of the real thing (that really isn't cheap), try the new Tudor GMT Pepsi, which will set you back about $3900 (vs. nearly $10k for the Rolex, vintage or for the new release this year), but is made by Rolex's junior brand.

The Davosa is a nice quartz option.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by perfectlykevin »

MagnumsGMTMaster wrote:There are dozens of brands that make homages to the Rolex GMT-Master Pepsi that Magnum wore (and Selleck still wears). Squale makes a version for about $800. Steinhart makes one for about $600. But if you want a cheaper version of the real thing (that really isn't cheap), try the new Tudor GMT Pepsi, which will set you back about $3900 (vs. nearly $10k for the Rolex, vintage or for the new release this year), but is made by Rolex's junior brand.

The Davosa is a nice quartz option.
Yeah, lots to choose from. Almost went for the Squale myself but it is 42mm vs 39.5 for the vintage Rollie. I thought it might feel like a boat anchor on the wrist after awhile. Very nice watch though-I'll prob end up with their Sub-esque model at 40mm now that I've been looking around :) LOL!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#5 Post by N1095A »

Steinhart makes a 39mm GMT Pepsi with an aluminium bezel. Not only does the aluminum bezel look more like TM's Rolex, but I think it's overall better looking than the newer ceramic bezels. The Steinhart is out of stock often, so you have to preorder, or just keep wat hing their website. It's a Swiss movement diver watch, and it's simply stunning. Well worth the $510 USD price. I bought one as soon as the 39mm version became available, and i love it. I also have a Parnis sterile (no logos) GMT Pepsi that I wear to work so as not to damage the Streinhart. The Parnis cost $80 on ebay, and it's a high quality Rolex homage. Especially for the price. I very highly recommend both.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Reef monkey »

When I was a teenager in the early 90s I used to own a Casio analogue dive watch with the blue and red bezel, probably cost the equivalent of $80 in today's dollars. It's always been a really common design. I wonder what happened to that - and several other watches I owned when I was younger. I guess I was kinda irresponsible with watches back then. I haven't owned an old fashioned dive watch in a long time, they're kind of clunky and uncomfortable for everyday wear, and pretty obsolete for actual diving, I've relied on my computer, with the stopwatch on a Casio G-shock for backup, for over 20 years.

On the watch in the OP, what's up with a leather band on a dive watch? Totally odd-looking, not to mention impractical. Makes one look like a poseur, wearing a dive watch one obviously never intends to take diving. A steel bracelet, black rubber band, or nylon NATO strap are the only things that look right on a dive watch. Oh well, easy fix for the purchaser, but makes me wonder how well the watch is actually built for water activities, let alone really diving, if the manufacturer would make such a gaffe.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#7 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I've seen the Steinhart in person and it's stunning. Smaller than most modern dive watches and I think even a bit smaller than the vintage 1675/16750 Rolex GMT. I'd probably pass on it, as I have a 7.5" wrist and it would look even smaller on me.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#8 Post by Pahonu »

I have the Invicta watch Nha Trang linked to above, but with a black bezel. I've had it for over two years and am very happy with it. It's an automatic and keeps great time for not being a quartz.

https://www.amazon.com/Invicta-8926OB-S ... 3EHY5D066K

N1095A

#9 Post by N1095A »

Steinhart also makes the same watch in 42mm. I have an 8" wrist, and I'm leaning toward the 39mm because it has a tapered bracelet. 20mm -16mm like the Rolex. The 42mm appears to have a non tapered bracelet. I'm going to be buying one or the other in November. I just can't decide which.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by eagle »

I have a 42mm Steinhart Pepsi GMT, and love it. It has a tapered band.

It's big on my 6.5" wrist, but the smaller one was not available when I bought.

Happy to post pictures if anyone is interested.

N1095A

#11 Post by N1095A »

Actually, I'd be interested in any pics. I have an 8" wrist. The only thing keeping me from the 42mm, was the thought that it didn't have a tapered bracelet.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#12 Post by Pahonu »

N1095A wrote:Actually, I'd be interested in any pics. I have an 8" wrist. The only thing keeping me from the 42mm, was the thought that it didn't have a tapered bracelet.
Funny, I never knew my wrist size, or even considered it... until now! :) Just measured it at a little under 9 inches. Of course, I'm 6-7 so the big wrist seems proportional, I suppose. Maybe that's why my watches over the years have all been relatively large and chunky, for lack of a better word. I just went by eye that it looked fine. Learn something new every day! :D

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by eagle »

Here are some images of my 42mm Steinhart Pepsi GMT. As I said, it's too big for my wrist, but I don't really care. Astute readers will note that the GMT bezel is set to HST -- so I always know what time it is in Magnum's world. :)

N1095A

#14 Post by N1095A »

Thanks for the pics. Steinhart just emailed confirming the 42mm version does indeed have a tapered bracelet. Your pics put it in the running with the 39mm.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Kevster »

eagle wrote:Here are some images of my 42mm Steinhart Pepsi GMT. As I said, it's too big for my wrist, but I don't really care. Astute readers will note that the GMT bezel is set to HST -- so I always know what time it is in Magnum's world. :)

At about 5' 11", my 6.5" wrist is a bit smaller than normal, so I've been wearing a Citizen Eco-Drive that doesn't look big at all. It's probably 36-37MM... So, seeing the 42MM on your wrist makes the 39MM alternative a pretty safe bet for me.

I think I could do a 39MM, but I think the 42MM looks like it'd a bit much on me.

Thanks for sharing!!!
Trust Me!!!