Magnum P.I. quotes you still use in everyday conversation

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Magnum P.I. quotes you still use in everyday conversatio

#46 Post by Pahonu »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:The California "your guyses" is even worse than saying "y'all" to one person.
That's just for the plural possessive form. LOL! :lol:

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#47 Post by Pahonu »

MHTR wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
Nobody is going to bring up the Pittsburgh equivalent "yinz" as in "you ones" as opposed to "you all"
I grew up close to Pittsburgh and we pronounced/spelled it "yuns" (I didn't use a "z" sound, can't recall anybody else using it).
Found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yinzer

They show "yunz" too. :D

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#48 Post by J.J. Walters »

How about this one. How many times have you said this over the years when enraged! :)

Superb meme by K Hale! :higgins:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#49 Post by MHTR »

Pahonu wrote:
They show "yunz" too
Come to think of it, I guess it does come out with a "z" sound (I haven't used it in a long time, I've been living out west for the last 16 years). I still would spell it "yuns" though. It looks better with an "s" than a "z." :)

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Reef monkey »

marlboro wrote:
☨magnum.t wrote: There are a lot of varieties when it comes to southern accents. Often actors juts fall back on some bizarre Gone with the Wind style imitation or, occasionally, an over the top Texas caricature. Oddly enough, British actors are much better at doing southern accents than non southern American actors.
My friends and I here in Texas, when we want to make fun of how Hollywood thinks a Texas accent sounds, we mock the way James Van der Beek said "Ah. Doughn't. Want. Yer. Lafe" in "Varisty Blues".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I8ucLNE5WM
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by perfectlykevin »

Majordomo wrote:You probably won't believe me when I say I have done this numerous times, but if I am alone (or not with anyone I know and no one notices me) I will break the 4th wall. For example, if I am in the kitchen and I drop my peanut butter bread on the floor, AND it falls peanut-butter-side-down, I will cut my eyes to where a camera could be located that would be a good angle to catch my reaction and the bread on the ground and give that look....

It makes it really difficult to get mad...
Probably breaking the forth wall with an imaginary camera is my biggest one too :)

I find myself hanging my head in a semi-pout when I have to go do something I don't want to do. I mean really don't want to do. :cry:

Many years ago we had neighbors from hell. They would make noise just to annoy us. One day, my son picking up on our frustration (he was about 3 or 4??), well he yelled to them, "You turkeys!!" He was a Magnum fan from a young age :)

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Reef monkey »

Oh, and of course, when I am out in my sailboat or kayak, and a jetskier or motorboater runs by too close and I'm knocked around in his wake, I do shout "you TURKEY!"
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Reef monkey wrote:Oh, and of course, when I am out in my sailboat or kayak, and a jetskier or motorboater runs by too close and I'm knocked around in his wake, I do shout "you TURKEY!"
I admire your restraint. I would have to shout something a little more graphic. (less "primetime-friendly" language)

Sometimes when I'm rowing 15km off shore on my boat, I think of T.C. saying, "I'd be worried about all the big fish down there" or Magnum with the shark saying "Oh God I'm scared."

Occasionally, when sitting at the table at sunset, I use Agatha's quote, "Isn't the ocean beautifuI at sunset? So peacefuI. So soft."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#54 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oh, man. You had to bring up an Agatha quote. That just immediately makes me think of that great double entendre Agatha dropped in Season Three's "Almost Home". You could be having the worst day of you life and as soon as you see/hear this, you will be instantly laughing out loud! :)

http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/smoking_buns.wav
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi J.J.

It's one of my favourites scenes from MPI. This short bloopers reel makes the scene a special one as it highlights the good working relationship between TS & JH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTVBE6duwFA
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

crayfish67
Ensign

#56 Post by crayfish67 »

My favorite isnt a quote, its when something isnt going well like standing in line for MS Jones and Magnum stoops his shoulder lowers his head and bobs it up and down. I find myself doing that in grocery line or BMV or post office

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

We occasionally get strawberries from the US in the grocery stores, with the brand name, "Driscoll's".

I often have to restrain myself from shouting at the top of my lungs, "Driscoll!!!"

I don't think the old ladies in the produce department will understand.