Magnum "Lost" Episode: Cheapshot

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

Magnum "Lost" Episode: Cheapshot

#1 Post by SelleckLover »

I shot an email to our fearless leader and administrator James, informing him that I won a script on eBay of an episode of Magnum PI, that was never produced. It is called "Cheapshot" and it is written by George Lee Marshall. James said that he is dying to know the storyline and would I write a synopsis here on the site. I told him I would be happy to write one. I haven't received the script yet, but when I do, I will do just that. I should be getting it sometime next week. (It's coming from Indiana, Standard Flat Rate.)

STAY TUNED!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#2 Post by Shermy »

In addition to Cheapshot, there are a couple more that sometimes surface online: "Gypsy's Curse" and one from Season 3 titled, "Forbidden Island".

I've always been curious about these scripts, so I'll be looking forward to your synopsis!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thanks SelleckLover, we appreciate it! :)
Shermy wrote:... and one from Season 3 titled, "Forbidden Island".
:shock:

Whoa, I had not heard about this one! A quick check online reveals that is was written by a Karen Klein.

If we could get a synopsis of all three of these, that would be fantastic.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Waltstasz
Admiral

#4 Post by Waltstasz »

That's awsome!
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?

SelleckLover

#5 Post by SelleckLover »

Well, Magnum fans, hang on to your red parrot shirt, and rev up your Ferrari! Here's my synopsis of the "lost episode" of Magnum. It is dated September 21, 1984 and is Production #58708. It contains 58 pages, so I'll try to keep this as short as possible! And if anything doesn't make sense, please feel free to shoot me an email and ask me about it.

A female reporter from "The Islander" newspaper has come to the estate to cover the Annual Island Classic Croquet Tournament, sponsored by Robin Masters and Higgins, as usual, is in charge. Magnum is predictably in charge of security. When Higgins is pre-occupied with the arrival of the
guests, the reporter, Hillary Barnes, takes Magnum aside and asks if they can talk in private. For you men out there, here's the description of Hillary taken directly from the script:
She is driving a VW Rabbit, and we see that Hillary is in her midtwenties, a pretty and wholesome-looking ash blond. She has a friendly open manner that makes you feel like you've always known her.

She confides in Magnum that she has only taken the assignment so she can ask Magnum for help with a story about a "tropical sasquatch" that has been sighted on Maui. She tries to gain Magnum's confidence by telling him she saw him in an Army-Navy game on TV and recounts individual plays of the game and scores. At first he refuses to take the case, but relents when she tells him that she has already paid TC to fly them to Maui and she will pay Magnum double his daily rate. She says that the owner-publisher of the paper, Gerald Church, has encouraged her to take the assignment so they can have a "big scoop" for the paper. Church is also a friend of Higgins' and is playing in the croquet tournament.

CUT TO JUNGLE SETTING ON MAUI.

After slogging through the jungle, with TC complaining all the way, they get caught in a trap and see "the creature". Magnum recognizes him as Jack "Cheapshot" Ashcroft, a football player of the opposing team, that sent Magnum injured off the field in the game that Hillary spoke to Magnum about in their first encounter. It also turns out that Hillary is Ashcroft's fiance. It is revealed later that Magnum "owes him one" for something that happened in VietNam. It is also revealed that Ashcroft took money from "Shark" Mullen, a member of the syndicate to throw a professional football game that Ashcroft was playing in. Ashcroft explains that he didn't follow through because he was "pumped up" for the game, and realized that he didn't have it in him to lose. The syndicate lost "big bucks", so now the chase is on for Aschcroft. Magnum suggests there's a better place for Ashcroft to hide out than the jungles of Maui....the Estate.

Magnum then tries to smuggle Ashcroft onto the Estate. After some sneaking around and trying to control Ashcroft, Higgins then discovers what Magnum is doing, due to Ashcroft getting in the middle of the croquet championship game. Gun shots and mayhem prevail. Higgins wants to call the Police, but Magnum doesn't want him to. He thinks that one the croquet players fired the shots, attempting to kill Ashcroft. Higgins pooh-pooh's the idea and says it's preposterous. Magnum has Rick run a check on the license plates on all the cars parked on the estate grounds. It turns out all the plates are clean, except for the owner-publisher of The Islander, Gerald Church's Mercedes. Rick finds out from Icepick that it is leased from an outfit that launders big-time gambling currency....a company owned by "Shark" Mullen. Rick gives Magnum the address of "Dreamfruit" Warehouse where Mullen does business. Magnum and Ashcroft go there taking Hillary with them. They encounter Mullen and Church. Fighting and mayhem follows. Magnum and Ashcroft manage to work together to defeat all the body guards, Church and Mullen.

Here's the description of the last shot of the scene:

SLOW PULL BACK FROM MAGNUM, ASHCROFT AND HILLARY

Magnum is seated amid the moldy crates and boxes, gazing on the pile of foes lying strewn and unconscious around him. The further back we pull, the more mayhem is exposed....and the smaller Magnum and the others become in the frame.
ASHCROFT
(In great spirits to Magnum) See how much fun you missed playing quarterback all those years?

Magnum nods to Ashcroft and as we continue pulling back , the sound of police sirens are heard.

"Magnum, there are established rules in every form of human encounter. Once we become lax regarding those rules, even the relatively unimportant game of croquet, all of civilized behavior itself suffers." (Higgins to Magnum in a scene where Higgins is quibbling with Magnum over the precise placement of a croquet wicket.)
Last edited by SelleckLover on Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#6 Post by Shermy »

Thanks for the synopsis! I had always wondered what the "Cheapshot" title referred to.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wait, so there's no Mauian Bigfoot? :)

Seriously though, what a cool story that is! Would have made for a pretty darn good episode if you ask me. I especially liked the setup and ending!
SLOW PULL BACK FROM MAGNUM, ASHCROFT AND HILLARY

Magnum is seated amid the moldy crates and boxes, gazing on the pile of foes lying strewn and unconscious around him. The further back we pull, the more mayhem is exposed....and the smaller Magnum and the others become in the frame.
ASHCROFT
(In great spirits to Magnum) See how much fun you missed playing quarterback all those years?

Magnum nods to Ashcroft and as we continue pulling back , the sound of police sirens are heard.
Awesome!

Thanks so much SelleckLover for posting this great synopsis!!

:D

SelleckLover

#8 Post by SelleckLover »

I must say I really liked the story too. Some of the exchanges between Magnum and Higgins in the script are quite humorous. I must admit some of the football lingo used was beyond me, so I must give my husband credit for telling me what it meant in "layman's" terms, so I could integrate it into the synopsis intelligently!

"1948. Mandalay. During Burma's annual uprising for independence -- Rory Woodridge, Ollie Freebairn-Smith and I had been out on point one evening, and were stumbling back through the jungle, exhausted, when we came upon her.....a 750-pound Bengal tiger.....There she stood, blocking our path....majestic.....immovable......"

Tom
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#9 Post by Tom »

Thanks for sharing, enjoyed very much reading it :D It's funny that in your mind you can picture it like a real episode.

Thanks!

T.

SelleckLover

#10 Post by SelleckLover »

It was totally my pleasure to share this with everyone. It is sooooo nice to be in the company of people that appreciate it as much as I do! When I start "talking Magnum" amongst my friends who don't share my enthusiasm for Mr. Selleck and the series, their eyes glaze over and I know they're thinking to themselves...."She's not talking about Magnum PI again is she?!" So thanks to everyone, especially James, for indulging, encouraging, and letting me write the synopsis!

"Catching flies, guys."

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#11 Post by eegorr »

SelleckLover wrote:So thanks to everyone, especially James, for indulging, encouraging, and letting me write the synopsis!
Are you kidding? Thank you! :)

Waltstasz
Admiral

#12 Post by Waltstasz »

That was great! Thanks for taking the time to post the synopsis. The story sounds like it would have been interesting. 8)

THANK YOU!!! :D
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#13 Post by golfmobile »

Both Cheapshot and Gypsy's Curse are on eBay again:

Cheapshot

Gypsy's Curse

I'll keep an eye out for Forbidden Island and post an "alert" if it comes up. Does anyone have Gypsy's Curse to give up a synopsis of it?

golf

P.S. Found Forbidden Island -- IF you want to pay $45 for it!

Forbidden Island

And there must be a few around, but still at $45:

FI

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

I would do it, but my wife would kill me. And I'm not ready to die yet. ;)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#15 Post by Doc Ibold »

I think I'm going to go for Forbidden Island and do a synopsis!

I'll let you know what I find out.

It might appreciate in value.

(Who am I kidding.. I'm going for it b/c I'm a Magnum nerd and I want to see what the story is about!)