Why were soundtracks never released?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

drsyn71
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Why were soundtracks never released?

#16 Post by drsyn71 »

According to IMDb, quite a lot of people contributed music to the show:

Series Music by
Mike Post ... (148 episodes, 1980-1988)
Pete Carpenter ... (142 episodes, 1980-1988)
Ian Freebairn-Smith ... (4 episodes, 1980)
John Cacavas ... (1 episode, 1981)
Frank Denson ... (1 episode, 1981)
Velton Ray Bunch ... (unknown episodes)
Garry Schyman ... (unknown episodes)

A lot of times, unofficial soundtracks get released. Bootlegs or many times composers will release composer promos. I remember back in the 90s I bought a composer promo released by Stu Phillips for Battlestar Galactica. This was a super sweet 4 CD set that was factory made, with full artwork and a booklet. I think we DEFINITELY need a composer promo from Mike Post for MAGNUM. But Mr. Post is 78 now and to be honest, would probably have little to no interest in releasing such a thing. He has nothing to promote or prove to anyone. I think it's pretty much a GIVEN just how awesome his work is.
Last edited by drsyn71 on Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#17 Post by Aloha Friday »

Thanks for the link...I don't recall that song at all, but then I just bought the record for the theme song. I let a friend borrow all of my 45s so she could make a cassette tape...never got them back. I had some good ones.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#18 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Aloha Friday wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:25 am Thanks for the link...I don't recall that song at all, but then I just bought the record for the theme song. I let a friend borrow all of my 45s so she could make a cassette tape...never got them back. I had some good ones.
I hate that.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#19 Post by Aloha Friday »

I know, after 40 years she probably doesn't have them anymore either.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

drsyn71
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#20 Post by drsyn71 »

Aloha Friday wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:25 am Thanks for the link...I don't recall that song at all, but then I just bought the record for the theme song. I let a friend borrow all of my 45s so she could make a cassette tape...never got them back. I had some good ones.
Yep. That always seems to happen at one time or another. Years ago, I had to start a strict NO LENDING policy. I got tired of never getting stuff back or getting it back in WAY worse shape than when it left me. I'd get something back and be like, "HEY! They actually make these things called coasters!" while pointing to a coffee cup ring left on the borrowed item. :(

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#21 Post by ConchRepublican »

drsyn71 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:04 am
Aloha Friday wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:49 am I used to have that 45 with Tom Selleck and Mike Post on the sleeve. I do not recall what was on the B-side. Anyone have it?
I don't have the 45, but the song is called Gumbus Red. I found it on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/5FV-EYgpjuw

It's another instrumental piece with a lot of good guitar and piano.
Thanks for finding this! I haven't heard it in at least 35 years! I feel like it has a Hill Street Blues meets Pablo Cruise vibe.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by 308GUY »

ConchRepublican wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:30 pm
drsyn71 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:04 am
Aloha Friday wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:49 am I used to have that 45 with Tom Selleck and Mike Post on the sleeve. I do not recall what was on the B-side. Anyone have it?
I don't have the 45, but the song is called Gumbus Red. I found it on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/5FV-EYgpjuw

It's another instrumental piece with a lot of good guitar and piano.
Thanks for finding this! I haven't heard it in at least 35 years! I feel like it has a Hill Street Blues meets Pablo Cruise vibe.
Almost sounds like it could have been on Jeff Beck's "Blow By Blow" LP.....really liked that album. :D Posts tune is a little more "laid back" than Beck's stuff, in my opinion....but sort of in the same vein. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Dentists
Ensign

#23 Post by Dentists »

We gotta find Mike Post online or talk to labels to get a CD/LP!

litefoot
Vice Admiral

#24 Post by litefoot »

If a soundtrack comes from anywhere it will be La La Land Records who have already released plenty of archival television soundtrack sets in recent times.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

litefoot wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:24 pm If a soundtrack comes from anywhere it will be La La Land Records who have already released plenty of archival television soundtrack sets in recent times.
I'm still waiting for the Hawaii Five-O one from them but it seems to be tied up in some kind of legal dispute involving Morton Stevens' family I believe. Or the Leonard Freeman family. Something like that. I got the one for the Mission: Impossible TV series from them years ago which was excellent!