Magnum transports me... does this make any sense?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

Re: Magnum transports me... does this make any sense?

#31 Post by steveadl »

eagle wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:56 pm I haven't watched Magnum for a while -- my wife & I have been watching Chicago Fire. Great show, but, well, it is a contemporary show. With all of the things going on in current events, I needed something to transport me to better days... so I have been playing Magnum while I'm working today. I am in the middle of season 6, and have just watched two excellent episodes -- "Blood and Honor," and "Rapture."

I just now started "I Never Wanted to Go to France, Anyway." Not as good in my mind as the others, but still good.

Truth be told, I'm looking for an episode with a setting in Higgins's office -- I'm looking for the portrait.

I really miss those good old days.
Know the feeling. I found myself watching an episode last night for the first time in a while (All Roads Lead to Floyd). I just don't have the time to go through an entire run of the series these days, but am going to selectively choose one at random here and there.

With all that's going on in the world (and to come) and my hectic self-imposed schedule, its nice to have this escape to a simpler time, and a bit like seeing old friends when I watch an episode. Everything about the show still resonates with me; the characters, the beauty of Oahu, the awesomeness of the 80's. Its amazing, though I seldom watch movies/TV these days, whenever I try to 'chill' and watch something, invariably if its Hollywood, I just tune out 20 mins in. Everything has become so cliche and predictable. I think its why I stopped watching the new H50 reboot a few years back after second season or so - I could literally predict every story line and at first thought - surely they won't just do this standard story, there will be a twist or some thought put into it..... nope.

I don't get this feeling with Magnum due to my love for it, nor with European shows/movies. Perhaps my tastes have just changed as I've got older.

Either way, Magnum transports me as well, completely agree.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by eagle »

steveadl wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:29 pm Everything has become so cliche and predictable. I think its why I stopped watching the new H50 reboot a few years back after second season or so - I could literally predict every story line and at first thought - surely they won't just do this standard story, there will be a twist or some thought put into it..... nope.
Yeah, Chicago Fire is a Dick Wolf show, and it is so obviously that it is. I sometimes pause a viewing with my wife, look at her, and say "You weren't surprised at that were you? I mean, this is a Dick Wolf show after all." It is very predictable, and while the people are "pretty," they're not "too pretty" (as they were with FBI and other shows we watched for only a few eps). It's predictable, but usually not annoyingly so, and it is pure escapism for us.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Mark de Croix »

eagle wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:48 pm Two quotes from another thread -- http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3356&start=40
erock308 wrote:A lot of non fans and occasional watches would no doubt miss the underlining message of the series. I have tried to explain to people that the show has a lot more depth to it than the obvious flashy car, beach babes and gun fights.
BWheelz54 wrote:I could live with a reboot, and I could look forward to one if it honored the previous characters and cast. To me, a new Magnum could do this by focussing not on the "sparkle" of the old show, but instead on the depth. Magnum PI remains so relevant to me because I keep seeing the show filled with medicine and healing for a country that often feels so divided. There was such a powerful strand through the show about how we treat our soldiers when they return after so bravely serving our country, and I know that's something we need to remember these days as well. I'm amazed by how Magnum PI works to pull people together instead of apart.
I think I mentioned this before, but I can't find the post and I don't remember any discussion about it, so maybe I only thought of posting this... It's really hard for me to explain, but I'll try...

Like no other TV show or movie I have ever watched, Magnum, p.i. transports me, and I wonder if it's because the underlying message resonates with me at a deep level. For me I think it has to do with the camaraderie between Thomas, Rick, and TC, and the relationship that Thomas and Higgins develop through the series.

Also, while I have enjoyed other TV shows (Castle, Psych, Monk, Simon & Simon, Seinfeld, the list goes on), the only one with true "staying power" for me -- that is, the only one I'm interested in watching over and over and over -- seems to be MPI, and I'm not quite sure why that is. Sure I love the estate and the Ferrari, but it isn't that. It's something more. It's the essence, and I can't fully describe that essence.

---

I love 1960s movies. Some because they were awesome (007), but some (Breakfast at Tiffany's) because they offer a clear window into 1960s America (I have a Princess phone like Holly Golightly did, and I love the interior of her apartment).

I wonder if I love Magnum so much for similar reasons: As others have said (though I can't find the reference), it is a clear window to what was a simpler time, and with a core cast of characters who truly, deeply care about one another.

---
Does any of this make any sense? Does anyone else have a similar experience? Can anyone put better words to this than I can?
@eagle, I'm relatively new here and still wandering but your sentiments match exactly mine and I'm pleased to have stumbled on this thread. The opening quote of it relates trying to explain the depth of MPI to the Unfamiliar. I was surprised to realize there must be people who only see the glitz. That highlights the great substance of MPI and why it attracts us so and why it has such staying power. The thread is well titled.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by eagle »

Mark de Croix wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:05 am @eagle, I'm relatively new here and still wandering but your sentiments match exactly mine and I'm pleased to have stumbled on this thread. The opening quote of it relates trying to explain the depth of MPI to the Unfamiliar. I was surprised to realize there must be people who only see the glitz. That highlights the great substance of MPI and why it attracts us so and why it has such staying power. The thread is well titled.
Thanks. I wrote the original thread 5.5 years ago, and I still feel exactly the same way. I'm glad to know that others get the same sense while watching it.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Mark de Croix »

eagle wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:29 pm
Mark de Croix wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:05 am @eagle, I'm relatively new here and still wandering but your sentiments match exactly mine and I'm pleased to have stumbled on this thread. The opening quote of it relates trying to explain the depth of MPI to the Unfamiliar. I was surprised to realize there must be people who only see the glitz. That highlights the great substance of MPI and why it attracts us so and why it has such staying power. The thread is well titled.
Thanks. I wrote the original thread 5.5 years ago, and I still feel exactly the same way. I'm glad to know that others get the same sense while watching it.
"Transport" is an excellent choice of words. Fits our experience well. Compare with the thought of joining a fan club for another show. In this case what do people talk about? MPI triggers so many avenues but can other pop shows do that? As I write this I'm even wondering if the MPI Reboot captures people's following as much as the original MPI does.
And along with that, culturally we are bred to despise rip-offs, which includes the copying of creative works. I'm sure you've seen movie critics rail against movies that seem to be clones of previous ones. So how are we expected to embrace reboots? Not much if the original one is transformative enough to transport us places. :D