Should There Ever Be Another Magnum PI Show?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Should Magnum PI Again Be Launched?

1. A sequel to MPI with Lily running a PI firm with appearances from TM, TC and Rick.
34%
2. A re-boot of MPI with new actors playing the same characters as the original MPI.
3%
3. Neither of the above - Let it be.
63%

Total votes: 35

BWheelz54
Admiral

Should There Ever Be Another Magnum PI Show?

#1 Post by BWheelz54 »

I was curious to see how sentiments regarding the relaunching of Magnum PI might break down at the Magnum Mania website. There's not a better collection of Magnum fans anywhere around. I thought a poll seeing what folks felt about bringing Magnum PI back onto television might be fun.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

Re: Should There Ever Be Another Magnum PI Show?

#2 Post by KingKC »

I was surprised there was only 21 votes but I wasn't surprised that most don't want a re-boot or sequel to MPI. It would have been nice if there had been a reunion move sometime in the Nineties though.

MagnumsGMTMaster
Commander

#3 Post by MagnumsGMTMaster »

Not a reboot of Magnum PI, but something with a similar spirit and sense of camaraderie.

The closest I ever saw was Land's End from 1995. There are endless possibilities to capture that sense of friendship and shared history and loyalty among guys. The only obstacle I see is whether the target audience isn't a little long in the tooth. Today's cherished 18-35 demographic probably has other values and priorities. Hard to tell ...

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Magnum T. »

A sequel to MPI?
Uhm... I don't know, it could work but almost certainly it won't.
A re-boot of MPI?
I don't think so!
Neither of the above - Let it be.
Probably the best choice.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Steve »

I have been saying ad nauseam on here for a while now that the only way I could ever see a movie being made was to have a well known actress play Lilly as the lead (my choice has always been Mila Kunis) and have he originals as the supporting cast. I can picture the opening shot of arms swimming in the tidal pool towards the wall like the first episode and then suddenly see Lilly popping up and breaking into the gate.Tom Selleck would be up on the porch/balcony having assumed the MajorDomo role either caring for Higgins if Hillerman would agree to appear, or coming up with a backstory for the Higgins characters death or disappearance. Of course the Robin Masters/ JQ Higgins mystery would still remain up in the air...........

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Steve wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:56 pm I have been saying ad nauseam on here for a while now that the only way I could ever see a movie being made was to have a well known actress play Lilly as the lead (my choice has always been Mila Kunis) and have he originals as the supporting cast. I can picture the opening shot of arms swimming in the tidal pool towards the wall like the first episode and then suddenly see Lilly popping up and breaking into the gate.Tom Selleck would be up on the porch/balcony having assumed the MajorDomo role either caring for Higgins if Hillerman would agree to appear, or coming up with a backstory for the Higgins characters death or disappearance. Of course the Robin Masters/ JQ Higgins mystery would still remain up in the air...........
Mila Kunis could certainly have played Lily, but after recently seeing the first season of Steve Martin's "Murders in the Building", I think Selena Gomez would be aces as Lily Magnum.

It's 40 plus years since the start of the original series. To put that in perspective, when Magnum premiered it had been 40 years since Pearl Harbor and that seemed to me at the time
to be more of something out of the history books, a different world even as some Magnum guest characters or Higgins referenced/recalled it.

I think we can now all admit our dream of any sort of reunion/sequel show is gone with the wind unless Selleck wanted to do just the pilot movie to get a "Lily Magnum PI" series off the ground.

On the other hand, 40 years from now Pahonu the Third and Ivan may be commenting on these boards on how the new Magnum PI, with the original cast all generated by AI, is even better
than the original. Especially if Luau Louie's joint is now staffed by 20 Digger Doyle lookalike hula dancers.