Talk to which one of the Big 4?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

DDD
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Talk to which one of the Big 4?

#1 Post by DDD »

A supposition:
You have an opportunity to talk for two hours in conversation with one of the main four, that is, Higgins, Magnum, Rick, or TC. Beer would be provided along the way. Which one would you pick? I thought I would no doubt spend the time with Magnum, but on mature reflection I surprised myself with settling on Rick. Higgins would develop into a monologue. TC has engagement with topics all over the map, but would he listen to me if he didn't find me interesting? Magnum, frankly, would be intimating to me over a two hour period. Whereas Rick I could relate to and he to me in a relaxed congenial way. He could drum up interest if need be to kept the conversation going and he has an ability to tell good stories about others. He is outgoing with some not fully formed opinions.
DDD

BWheelz54
Admiral

Re: Talk to which one of the Big 4?

#2 Post by BWheelz54 »

I have to say that I would want to sit down with Higgins. I just love that character. I bet he has stories of adventures he shared with absolutely everyone, no matter if any of it really happened. I'm sure he'd have stories about times he shared with Rudyard Kipling, George Orwell, Winston Churchill, TE Lawrence, Ian Flemming, and on and on and on and on. I wouldn't mind. I could last for several hours, especially if he shared some of his good brandy with me - I'd even first toast to the regiment! We could play a mean game of chess, or cricket, or cribbage. He could teach me how to fence. We could fly remote controlled airplanes, and we could get out the canon and shoot it across the property. I tell you, Higgins might be a lot of fun.

BUT he would never get me on stage for a part singing and dancing in The Mikado. I don't do musicals.

So, without a doubt, I would want to spend time with Higgins.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by MaximRecoil »

Higgins. I find his stories, and personality in general, entertaining. Plus I like to ramble on about the technical details of my various interests, and he's probably the only one of the four that would care about such minutia, and could even contribute minutia of his own on most any topic.

Next would be Magnum. If he's anything like Tom Selleck, I could at least talk guns with him. I suppose that applies to Rick too, as his character is said to be a weapons expert, though Magnum has a more entertaining personality. I don't know what I'd talk to TC about. I don't have much of an interest in helicopters, and I certainly don't care about ballet and such.

Rands
Rear Admiral

#4 Post by Rands »

For me it would certainly be Higgins. I too have found the "Higgins" stories entertaining, and reminiscent of many of the World War Two and Korea veterans, I had an opportunity to speak with. There is a great military tradition of both written and oral stories, where so much of history is imparted from the professional soldier to younger serviceman and women. While books are an extremely component to maintaining history, there is a vast percentage of history that is not recorded in a written format.

And speaking of adult beverages, I thought Higgins favorite beverages were brandy (thank you BWheelz54) and Scotch Whiskey, no ice ("Don't ruin my whiskey with ice, I'm not a bloody American"). For me, it would be very high end Vodka (Chopin, Belvedere ), straight, very chilled. An excellent beverage if you haven't tried it --smooth, clear, and divine.

Magnum second, in reference to Vietnam Special Operations, and intel/counter-intel operations.

TC third, in reference to Air-mobile operations in South East Asia.

Rick, aka Orville, reference the Chicago Mob, Sam Giancana.

In all four cases, it would be an excellent opportunity, to gain some of the first hand knowledge of those subjects.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Seaver41 »

no doubt it would be Tom for me.......if nothing else I could talk for hours on baseball and beer.