My Lawsuit for MAGNUM Sequel with Lily

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

TomMagnumJr
Lieutenant Junior Grade

My Lawsuit for MAGNUM Sequel with Lily

#1 Post by TomMagnumJr »

Hi Guys, we are all going to sue John Rogers for copyright infringement and I am going to file the lawsuit as a class-action suit on behalf of everyone here who ever posted on the "Lily Magnum Sequel" board here:

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3090

I am certain that John Rogers stole this great idea from this forum and he's going to pay us for it.

I will file the lawsuit and it will be "Magnum Mania vs John Rogers" and Universal will settle it on his behalf. He is a thief read this article from Deadline Hollywood there was nothing "organic" about where he got this idea from, he stole it from right here:

And here is the article announcing this theft of original material from us:

http://deadline.com/2016/09/magnum-p-i- ... 201824437/

He did not "unlock" anything all he did was steal a great way to reboot Magnum so what I want from everyone is a private message you don't have to give your real name we don't need anyone's real name at this point. The lawsuit will be filed in California Federal Court for Copyright Infringement.

Magnum Mania owns the copyright of every post on this forum and we will get a good amount of money from Universal TV for this infringement. My hope is that it will be at least $25,000 because the lawsuit minimum for Copyright Infringement is $75,000 per each infringement. I will sue John Rogers for that minimum amount.

Universal TV won't ever let it go to court and I will handle all the legal paperwork for a share of whatever money we get from Universal for this. I never posted on the Lily Magnum board but I am furious at what John Rogers did. This is no coincidence he stole the idea right from this forum:

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: My Lawsuit for MAGNUM Sequel with Lily

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

I don't believe anything should be filed under the Magnum Mania name until the owners of the site approve of proceeding down that path.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

TomMagnumJr
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#3 Post by TomMagnumJr »

Correct and I would never file anything on behalf of this website until JJ gives me his approval. My hope is that JJ is willing to support this effort to get some justice.

John Rogers stole the idea from this forum there is no way it's a coincidence he lurked here and read many topics until he found the best way to reboot the show.

That is theft and it's actionable under copyright infringement.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#4 Post by Styles Bitchley »

You Yanks sure love a good law suit! Sit back and enjoy the show if it ever actually gets made.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by MaximRecoil »

Is there anything more specific that you believe he stole aside from the idea of making a show about Magnum's daughter? If not, then I doubt you have a case. Spinning off / rebooting an old show or movie via a son or daughter of a main character from the original is probably the most common and obvious spinoff/reboot idea in the history of the world. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've seen someone suggest that for Rocky for example. Fortunately, Stallone didn't listen, and simply made a movie with himself as Rocky instead (Rocky Balboa [2006]). However, recently someone used this cliche of an idea with Apollo Creed's son (Creed [2016]), which I didn't care for at all.

I've never understood why so many people find the old "let's make a show about so-and-so's offspring" idea appealing (it's an old staple of fan fiction as well), i.e., I've never understood why I should care about what so-and-so's offspring is up to these days (especially if it's a smart-phone/Millennial generation female). I like the real characters, not their heretofore little-seen-or-heard-from plot device family members.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: My Lawsuit for MAGNUM Sequel with Li

#6 Post by Doc Ibold »

Let me make this unmistakably, immediately, and abundantly clear.

You do not have ANY permission to be filing any sort of lawsuit that brings the name or content of this site into any sort of intellectual property dispute. Any further talk or discussion of this will get you banned.

Yours truly,

The Owner of this Site

Styles Bitchley

#7 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Doc Ibold wrote:Let me make this unmistakably, immediately, and abundantly clear.

You do not have ANY permission to be filing any sort of lawsuit that brings the name or content of this site into any sort of intellectual property dispute. Any further talk or discussion of this will get you banned.

Yours truly,

The Owner of this Site
Well said, Doc!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by 308GUY »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:Let me make this unmistakably, immediately, and abundantly clear.

Yours truly,

The Owner of this Site
Well said, Doc!

Seconded! :higgins:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#9 Post by ConchRepublican »

Yours truly,

The Owner of this Site
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#10 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

Yours truly,

The Owner of this Site
HUZZAH!
Faith and Begorrah!

TomMagnumJr
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#11 Post by TomMagnumJr »

Sorry Doc, sorry guys, but I have to investigate this. I will do it on my own without any help.

My sense of honor and duty and fair play and ethics is really comparable to Thomas Magnum's.

For me to let John Rogers get away with this crime his theft of intellectual property would be wrong.

It would be like letting Ivan get away going back to Russia at the end of Did You See The Sunrise.

Magnum always listened to his Little Voice and it was always right. My little voice tells me that John Rogers stole the idea from this forum from the topic first posted last year proposing a sequel with Lily as the star. I don't think this is a coincidence.

I could be wrong but I don't think I am. So like our favorite fictional hero I will do what I must do.

The lawsuit will be filed but it won't mention Magnum Mania except for the four pages I have printed from the Lily Magnum topic and those posts are evidence of copyright infringement.

The lawsuit will be filed as "Anonymous Online Magnum Fans vs. John Rogers" he is taking credit for "coming up with this organic idea" he's the one making money using ideas that are not his so he is the only defendant.

Universal TV will have to file a response with the court on his behalf they will try to get it tossed out but at least it will be filed and if he has a conscience perhaps his guilty conscience will compel him to admit what he did. That is what I am hoping will happen. That he admits what he did.

I'm not a lawyer and it will be very hard to prove but I want John Rogers to know that I know what he did. He thinks he's gotten away with this and he probably will get away with it. But I can't let him get away with it without doing what I think is right, it's what Magnum would do if he suspected a crime.

TM would go after the bad guy on his own if need be. He would ask Higgins and TC and Rick for help and if they refused he would do it on his own so that's what I will do. The first thing I will do is email his lawyer with a pdf of the Lily Magnum posts and a link to that topic if it remains on here if it's taken down along with this page then I have those posts already saved on my computer as evidence.

His lawyer will inform Universal and they will dispute and deny the allegation on his behalf but at least he will be informed that someone a hardcore Magnum fan is accusing of theft and we'll see what happens. If the suit goes forward if the judge refuses to toss it out then Universal will be forced to settle it and there will be money. I will come back here if that happens and let you know. Bye Guys.

Styles Bitchley

#12 Post by Styles Bitchley »

TomMagnumJr wrote:I'm not a lawyer
That's pretty obvious.

So you're after money from a TV show that doesn't exist to deliver to someone who doesn't even want it? You must have a lot of time on your hands. Not sure why you would call yourself a "hardcore fan" if you'd go out of your way to try to derail the only credible attempt at a reboot since the end of the show. And considering you just joined this forum yesterday, I"m not sure how you could suggest that you represent the forum or any of its members past or present. Good luck with that.

And as for channelling your inner Magnum, I'm pretty sure he'd be angered by someone tying up the legal system with a frivolous law suit while real criminal trials are sidelined for years.

- J.Q.H.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#13 Post by Doc Ibold »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
TomMagnumJr wrote:I'm not a lawyer
That's pretty obvious.

So you're after money from a TV show that doesn't exist to deliver to someone who doesn't even want it? You must have a lot of time on your hands. Not sure why you would call yourself a "hardcore fan" if you'd go out of your way to try to derail the only credible attempt at a reboot since the end of the show. And considering you just joined this forum yesterday, I"m not sure how you could suggest that you represent the forum or any of its members past or present. Good luck with that.

And as for channelling your inner Magnum, I'm pretty sure he'd be angered by someone tying up the legal system with a frivolous law suit while real criminal trials are sidelined for years.
Thank you Styles

Now for TomMagnumJr,

Let me explain some things to you that comes from experience from a family of attorneys and a good knowledge of the legal system.

#1) You cannot claim damages for ideas based upon characters you do not have intellectual property rights on. You do not own the rights to Lily, Magnum or any of the above... Universal does.

#2) The reason this site does not have any advertising is because it does not and cannot make a profit off of Magnum because it does not own any of the images, rights or licenses. Once again, Universal owns that. The minute we try to make a profit off of Universal via frivolous lawsuits, we default on that agreement and BOOM, site goes down.

#3) This forum is an open forum of ideas. I have not secured intellectual property rights to the discussions on these forums because I do not have the time or the money for the amount of ideas here.

#4) Each person who submitted the idea (not the site) would then have to submit ownership and proof that their idea was original and developed first. I doubt that has occurred.

#5) You have no way of proving that the forum content was the genesis of Mr. Rogers' idea. This could have been floating around for years before the discussion on the forum ever existed. You would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the Magnum-Mania forum and the Magnum-Mania forum alone was behind the idea.

#6) The idea of rebooting a show utilizing characters from a previous show is not a novel idea. It has been utilized many many times in the past.

#7) As all intellectual property and likenesses of Magnum are owned by Universal, Mr. Rogers has their permission to use them as he sees fit.

#8) The minute you use content from my site as some sort of evidence, you are involving me, personally. And in the unlikely even this even makes it to a pre-suit discussion, I will say that the ideas of this site are utilized in the public domain and since we are utilizing the property of Universal in agreement with our non-profit stance, they and their agents are free to use them as they please and your case is thrown out the window, because you do not hold the rights to Magnum PI as a franchise (Universal does) NOR do you have any say over the content of this site or how it is used (which I do.)

What I am TRYING to do is get in touch with John Rogers to offer up the services/expertise of this site to make sure his work is as faithful to the original spirit of its predecessor as can possibly be to make the best possible show for both die hard fans of the original, yet make it relevant in today's society.

Your ridiculous crusade/discussion to try and file a lawsuit will do nothing to further that goal of mine, and of many other forumites. And trust me when I say this, it WILL fail.

Please refrain from any more discussion on this topic as you are wasting my time, the forums time and yours.

I hope this concludes this discussion, as you are on Strike 2

Good day, sir.

TomMagnumJr
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#14 Post by TomMagnumJr »

Doc you make good points but it still irks me that he did this.

However I won't file any lawsuit or send any legal email. I will respect your wishes here.

Since you are trying to team up with John Rogers my hope is that he invites you to be a consulting producer on the reboot or some way involved. You have my permission to Delete this Topic thread.

You should delete it today and I won't post any more objections to the Lily reboot. I never made any posts on that topic thread but I feel bad for the members who did and whose ideas appear to have been stolen.

I won't change my mind or my opinion. I think he's Guilty but if you are okay with him using ideas from this forum then go try to work with him and if you are lucky he might invite you to be a part of it.

You should now Delete this Topic thread in its entirety from the forum index. Aloha.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#15 Post by BWheelz54 »

Oh my. Oh my. I will say that when I typed out four scripts based on an idea that Magnum could go with his daughter Lily in the main role that I did so with a complete understanding that Universal owned all rights to Magnum, and that what I did was just for fun and to hopefully provide a little entertainment for the fine folks on this forum. I had no illusion that I was the first to ever have such an idea. I was just trying to add my own spin and have a good time with a show I really love. I was thrilled, thrilled, thrilled that some folks on the forum enjoyed it. That really meant something to me.

Now, I've been trying to earn some money through my other writings for years, and it is very hard, but I know I have no right to claim any kind of infringement on properties I don't own. I wish I could find a way to bank my words like Mr. Masters did (of course impossible as that too is fantasy and fiction), but this isn't the way.

Please, TomMagnumJr, I don't mean to sound mad or snarly, but there's just nothing there. I'm going to hope for the best. Whatever might be made will not be the Magnum we know and love, but I don't think that that would mean that such a show has to be terrible. Who knows? It might be fun. And I know this, the people putting that show together couldn't hope for a better resource than this forum and Magnum Mania.

Now, what I would go for would be some offers to fly out all the folks who participate in this forum to Hawaii and give us all a brief cameo as extras in the background of some action - maybe a bunch of guys dressed up like the Magnum of old or something. Food, drink and mini vacation to get all of us together and on the screen for like 30 seconds.

Now that would be something I could go for.