BREAKING - Magnum returning as a TV series, but . . .

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

erock308
Fleet Admiral

Re: BREAKING - Magnum returning as a TV series, but . . .

#16 Post by erock308 »

WoW... I haven't seen this much action on this forum in a long time... we certainly are a passionate lot ;-{)

I just hope the new show has the essential elements: Set in Hawaii with Humour, Comradery, Action, Adventure and of course a Red Ferrari!
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#17 Post by MHTR »

I'm afraid that without Mr. Bellisario in some kind of an advisory role (or someone else who was intimately involved with MPI) the people involved in this new project are going to screw it up. I hope not, but I'm expecting it (just look at Hollyweird's track record on things like this).

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I'm afraid that without Mr. Bellisario in some kind of an advisory role
I agree. I don't think anybody else could get the tone of Magnum PI right. Too many so called TV experts and critics just think of the show as a light hearted adventure with a cool car and good scenery. And those things are true, but the show had so much more depth than that. I've always thought it was the first real character study on TV. I'm not that big a fan of either of the Hawaii Five-0's, but I think the sequel has worked because the original wasn't really about McGarrett. It was more about the weekly crime and mystery. Magnum was about Thomas Magnum first and the mystery of the week came second. While character studies are popular on TV today, most of them fall in to the anti-hero category. TSMIV was no anti-hero.

All that being said, I'd probably give it a chance! But I have my doubts that it will ever get off the ground. A year or two from now TV's obsession with reboots and sequels may be over and somebody might actually have some new ideas by then! LOL!

Turkey
Admiral

#19 Post by Turkey »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
I'm afraid that without Mr. Bellisario in some kind of an advisory role
I agree. I don't think anybody else could get the tone of Magnum PI right. Too many so called TV experts and critics just think of the show as a light hearted adventure with a cool car and good scenery. And those things are true, but the show had so much more depth than that. I've always thought it was the first real character study on TV. I'm not that big a fan of either of the Hawaii Five-0's, but I think the sequel has worked because the original wasn't really about McGarrett. It was more about the weekly crime and mystery. Magnum was about Thomas Magnum first and the mystery of the week came second. While character studies are popular on TV today, most of them fall in to the anti-hero category. TSMIV was no anti-hero.

All that being said, I'd probably give it a chance! But I have my doubts that it will ever get off the ground. A year or two from now TV's obsession with reboots and sequels may be over and somebody might actually have some new ideas by then! LOL!
Agreed!
Make it two weeks.

RES71
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#20 Post by RES71 »

Well.... I am sure it won't be good... But I have hope!

If it were my choice, I would do it like True Detective (season 1) - and make it in the past. Pre-2001.

Why?

1. The world sucks a great deal after 9/11.
2. You don't need to get an old lady to play the new lead.

Let's say Lily is born in 1976. 1996 would be a great choice, when she would be 20.

Actually, after I wrote this I realized then you can't have Tom Selleck at all, except maybe via the phone like Robin Masters. Meh.

Orrymain
Lieutenant Commander

#21 Post by Orrymain »

I don't have a lot of faith in reboots or based-on stories of vintage favorites. We're in a different world now in terms of standards and such. Call me a prude, but I don't like all the sex, violence, and profanity that is so commonplace, and this includes watching a past favorite trying to be resurrected.

Also, it's just really hard to find the charm, charisma, and strength of original characters. It can be done, but it's so rare. I forced myself to get through the MacGyver reboot Friday night, but the lead was wooden and just didn't have that natural panache of Richard Dean Anderson. Yep, they through in the sex, too. Mac had his fun, but it was off-screen. They've totally reinvented other characters. Like the Battlestar Galactica redeux years ago, sexes were changed. Pete Thornton is now Patricia Thornton, for example. Actually, when M was first greenlit, the new M was going to be a female. They filmed a pilot, I believe, and it didn't go over, so they changed things up. I'll be surprised if the show lasts 13 episodes.

That said, I do sometimes take to a redeux IF it really is a separation from the original and they don't really intend it to be just like the original. I've read a lot of grumblings about H5-0. I actually like it because I consider it more of an alternate universe than an attempt to really be like the original. They have the same names, the gender switch, and the locale, but there is just no way this like Jack Lord's H5-0. It's a bit like the current Star Trek theatrical films. I do like them. They are AU and they do enough to honor the essence of the original in the theme, but from there, it's just another universe's version of the story. I'm not fond of every aspect, but I look forward to the show every week. Oddly, one weird thing that came up in Friday's season opener, was a conversation between McGarrett and a man in the hospital chapel. I swear, they tried to make that guy look like Jack Lord, complete with hair strand hanging down his forehead. It was weird, and I'm not sure even why the scene was included.

Anyway, I think there is hope in the proposed Magnum show, but I wouldn't count on it being like the old show. The tie would be the name and the Lily character. My hunch is Uncle Rick will show up and who knows, maybe even Uncle TC. I'd be shocked if Manetti didn't agree to appear. What I don't like from the get go is this "Tommy" nickname. I just don't see that for Lily. I can't even conceive of it, unless it's a front like Remington Steele or if they let Magnum be dead and it's something she does as a tribute. I honestly don't see Tom Selleck even doing a voiceover for this thing, not unless it proves itself to be good quality and respectful.

I just don't have faith in today's media all that much. The people in charge have very narrow points of view sometimes and make what are in my opinion wrong choices in their desire to heat it up for modern audiences.

I don't know what age they want Lily to be, but I think it needs to be post college and a couple of years so mid to late 20's. I don't think she could be taken seriously if she's not in that age range or older. Plus, it would be harder to have her 'uncles' guest shot. Time has past. None of them look middle-aged anymore, so she needs to be older.

Time will tell if this goes anywhere or not.

Kate Sullivan
Lieutenant Commander

#22 Post by Kate Sullivan »

RES71 wrote:Well.... I am sure it won't be good... But I have hope!

If it were my choice, I would do it like True Detective (season 1) - and make it in the past. Pre-2001.

Why?

Let's say Lily is born in 1976. 1996 would be a great choice, when she would be 20.

Actually, after I wrote this I realized then you can't have Tom Selleck at all, except maybe via the phone like Robin Masters. Meh.
If it's going to be a true sequel and stay faithful to the timeline, then Lily was born about 1981/82 so would be 34/35 now - hardly an old lady!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#23 Post by ConchRepublican »

Kate Sullivan wrote:
RES71 wrote:Well.... I am sure it won't be good... But I have hope!

Why?

If it's going to be a true sequel and stay faithful to the timeline, then Lily was born about 1981/82 so would be 34/35 now - hardly an old lady!
Hmmmm, that's Jessica Alba's age. :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by 308GUY »

Kate Sullivan wrote:
Will the show then focus on, (at least as an "undercurrent"), Lily figuring out if she'd ever really been 24/25? :magnum:

(That's a joke guys....yea...I know....if ya gotta explain your jokes....they ain't funny!) :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ConchRepublican

#25 Post by ConchRepublican »

308GUY wrote:
Kate Sullivan wrote:
Will the show then focus on, (at least as an "undercurrent"), Lily figuring out if she'd ever really been 24/25? :magnum:

(That's a joke guys....yea...I know....if ya gotta explain your jokes....they ain't funny!) :lol:
I see whatchya did there! :D
CoziTV Superfan spot

Kate Sullivan
Lieutenant Commander

#26 Post by Kate Sullivan »

I won't multi-quote, but :D :D

Actually, that's a good point - TM was about 34 when the show started so Lily being the same age is a good fit for a new series. I'm actually coming round to quite liking the idea - it would depend on so much though and would be very easy to screw up.

ConchRepublican

#27 Post by ConchRepublican »

For those interested in who John Rogers is here are some interesting things I have dug up:

First, his Wikipedia entry:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rogers_(writer)

On Twitter he's at: John Rogers@jonrog1

His blog (which hasn't been updated in a while) is here:

http://kfmonkey.blogspot.com/

Here's a couple of interviews:

http://collider.com/john-rogers-the-lib ... interview/

http://theactionelite.com/2015/07/san-d ... interview/

Check it out, the guy is a gamer:

http://conolympics.blogspot.com/2011/09 ... ogers.html

http://geekandsundry.com/how-managing-a ... a-dungeon/
CoziTV Superfan spot

Magnum's moustache
Lieutenant Commander

#28 Post by Magnum's moustache »

I think the rumors are true... and the sequel is confirmed... saw this advertisement in the shopping center this morning.
Higgins: Magnum, you are clad only in your undershorts.
Magnum: Of course I am.
Higgins: Even for you I find that just a trifle casual.

{Unless you treat failure as part of the journey, you're never going to get anywhere.} ~ Tom Selleck

ConchRepublican

#29 Post by ConchRepublican »

308GUY wrote:Just ran across this:

http://screenrant.com/magnum-pi-sequel-tv-show-abc/

Premise is there, but allot will hinge on who writes it and particularly, HOW it's written, IMHO.

Eva Longoria????............not sure about that choice. I can see it going either way.

She's done more in the line of comedy than drama as I recall, not sure she'll be taken seriously unless an entire "new" approach is used.

Still just "rumor" at this stage, but it does look as though some "higher-ups" in positions of power are considering it.

If they do do it....I sure hope they don't screw it up! If TS has anything to do with it, pretty sure he would make them "tow the line" so it didn't come off too bad.

Kind of in the same bag as Pahonu....whatever happens....it's gonna be interesting to watch it unfold! :magnum:
I sure hope they have their intel wrong and mixed up Longoria the producer for Longoria the actress.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Rick66
Lieutenant

#30 Post by Rick66 »

I had thought about this scenario in the past in that Lilly could take over her Dad's PI business with help from her Dad and Uncles (Rick, Higgins and TC) (all played by the original actors, of course).