Magnum on Blu Ray!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Turkey
Admiral

Re: Magnum on Blu Ray!

#16 Post by Turkey »

Maybe a couple of good documentaries too - fingers crossed a blu ray release packs in a few good extras
Make it two weeks.

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by 308GTS »

If you look at that Amazon link you will see in the lower left that Knight Rider is also going to be available on BR, this could mean good news as it looks like MillCreek are taking on the Universal back catalog.

Fingers crossed!

Let's swamp them with emails...

support@millcreekent.com
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Ughh.....I won't get my hopes up for any extras if Mill Creek releases it. Their dvds are notoriously "bare bones."

JungleBird
Commander

#19 Post by JungleBird »

Well, finnally. I always hoped for a blu ray release, and now here it is! For the past years, I didn't really have much hope anymore because 80s tv shows weren't very likely to get new transfers on bluray.

From what i've heard so far, it's not going to be MillCreek who releases Magnum. According to http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Magnum-PI ... ay/149758/ , it's Universal themselves (at least for the US)
For UK/region B, it's "Fabulous Films": http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Magnum-PI ... ay/161925/

"Fabulous Films" also already confirmed the (uk-?) release in an interview and to a forum member there for this october: "Got a response. October in time for Xmas."
(http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=280905&page=8)

I don't know when it's released in the US and whether it's really going to be by Universal (however, the bluray-site says so) or by some other licensed studio...
As for extras, no information so far.

As it says Universal is handling the complete series bluray, maybe there even is hope not only for a decent transfer, but most importantly, also for some good remastering and cleaning (and, hopefully, even some good colour grading..? The colours on the DVDs aren't really great so far...!).

Would be really great to see Magnum remastered in Full HD!

Well, time will tell. For now, I'm happy just to know that our favorite show is indeed coming to bluray- and (for the UK) even already this year, according to "FF"! :magnum:

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

I've said this in the DVD image quality thread, but I really do hope the cuts made to the DVDs (of parts that were even intact in syndication) are restored for this release. Especially since I imagine the original negatives are being used for this transfer. Also I've literally never seen the abridged act breaks anywhere else on any Universal series DVD set I've seen. Magnum, being an earlier TV on DVD release, really seemed to get the short end of the stick concerning image quality, cuts, and features.

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#21 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

I received the Miami Vice Blu-Rays yesterday. They are by Mill Creek. There are no extras. I did a sample viewing of season 1. The quality was very good. The only drop off was when they used stock footage. All the original programming was exceptional. The iconic scene where they were driving the fake Ferrari through Miami at night to "In the Air Tonight " was magnificent. The hood of the car looked like glass. This gives me high hopes for Magnum.
Faith and Begorrah!

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

All right!

:P

Coligion
Lieutenant Commander

#23 Post by Coligion »

For those in the U.K., the release from Fabulous Films is slated for December 12th.

http://www.fabulousfilms.com/products/387

Unfortunately for us fans stateside, it's likely this set will be region B locked :cry:.

Lastly, for anyone holding out hope for a domestic release from Mill Creek, this was the response I received after inquiring about the possibly of licensing Magnum (due to their release of Miami Vice):

"Unfortunately, we do not have the manufacturing and distribution rights to this program nor do we anticipate we will be getting these rights anytime in the future."

So unless I'm getting the runaround, it would appear Universal will not be passing the license off to Mill Creek and may hang onto it to release themselves...Whenever that might be :?

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Hopefully Universal will indeed restore Magnum like FF has (I assume FF would have had to contact Universal for licensing purposes anyway). The only way I could imagine the qualities being different is if it were like a movie and had been owned/released/distributed by different companies depending on the country, like say, a German/UK/Europe DVD of a film having a different quality than a US/Canada DVD. On top of that, since Region 2 DVDs of Magnum had most of the Region 1 cuts intact, that could likely be the case with the FF Blu-rays.

P.S. Forgive my use of the Dancing Higgins in my last post. :P

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Magnum T. »

Too bad Fabulous Films is notorious for very high prices on "specific" items (I got their "The Six Million Dollar Man" and "The Bionic Woman" DVD boxsets and I paid through the nose for them).
They've already released "The A-Team" complete collection (£138.50 on Amazon UK right now, 22 BDs) and apparently they are going to release "The Incredible Hulk" (16 BDs).
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Magnum T. »

FF box (37 BDs) available on Amazon UK for pre-order at £170.
As I was saying above...
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Phantastic news and to be honest, GBP 20 per Season ist not overpriced imo.
But I am confident that the prices will come down over the time.
Here is the link:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnum-P-I-Com ... =Magnum+pi

It's also announced wih Amazon Germany without a release date.
Can't wait to hear about picture quality and Extras

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Magnum T. »

Well, good for you.
I think all FF TV series BD boxes are probably twice their fair price.
Quality is to be seen but about extras, "The A-Team" seems to have only an interview with Stephen J. Cannell and a featurette (I guess) called "The Great 80's TV Flashback".
There is no mention of extras for Magnum.
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

I do hope Region 1 gets a release soon (and with awesome extras), though I do know Region 2 generally gets DVD/Blu-ray releases later then us. And yes, like everyone else, I am dying for screencaps! :D :magnum:

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Seems that the Blu Rays are based on a restored version - can't wait to have the set in hands.

Will you all let you know.