If Magnum PI was produced in the 1940’s….

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

If Magnum PI was produced in the 1940’s….

#1 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

As a huge fan of classic films, I watch TCM and FXM almost daily. I started wondering, If Magnum PI was made in the 1940’s, what actors from the Golden-Era would portray the various characters? Some of my choices may leave you scratching your head…not all my picks were made on physical resemblance, rather the body of their work.

Magnum: Gilbert Roland

I know most people are thinking Clark Gable, but I have to go with Gilbert Roland. If you’re familiar with his films, you know he did action, drama, romance, had a knack for comedy and he was damn good-looking too!

Higgins: Claude Rains

Watch Casablanca and you’ll know why. He was such a versatile actor. He would have made a great Higgy-Baby IMHO.

Rick:

I can’t make up my mind. I’m thinking either George Raft or James Cagney.

TC: Rex Ingram

I’ve chosen Rex Ingram. To round out the main cast.

Agatha: Elsa Lanchester

Yes, Elsa was the Bride of Frankenstein, but in her other roles she excelled at being scatter-brained comic relief.

Carol: Eve Arden

Eve was often referred to as “Comedy Insurance” when cast in a film. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride, she would have made a great Carol.

Mac: Bob Hope

Pun intended, but I l know what you’re thinking. Don’t think of 1980’s Bob Hope – the elderly Bob hosting a prime-time special on NBC with Brooke Shields. Think of the Bob Hope from the “Road” films with Bing Crosby.

Doc Ibold: William Powell

This was an easy decision. Powell was great as Doc in the 1955 film Mister Roberts, a very similar role.

Ice Pick: Edward G Robinson

I can’t think of a better local crime boss. He can be mean as hell, or a sweetheart. He perfected the role.

J Digger Doyle: Lauren Bacall

Many of the leading ladies of the golden-era were either over-the-top glamour queens or not very athletic in nature. Lauren was different.

So, who would be your choices? I’ll be adding characters to this thread as I think of more…
I'm a Boxley Girl....

TSM308
Captain

Re: If Magnum PI was produced in the 1940’s….

#2 Post by TSM308 »

How about Warner Oland as Lt Tanaka?

"Don't look at the dogs, work the lock."

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#3 Post by marlboro »

Cool thread. I don't think I can top the choices already made, but what the heck.

TM - Burt Lancaster. Handsome, athletic, can do both comedy and drama and would have been in his 30s at the time.

Higgins - Charles Laughton.

Rick - John Garfield

TC - Woody Strode

BWheelz54
Admiral

#4 Post by BWheelz54 »

Just so cool. Love the picks and the pics.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Mrs. Higgins,
I really like your post. Gilbert Roland is an inspired choice as Magnum(not unlike his role in Underwater). He could do it all and though I loathe the professional injustice seekers, it is fair to say that in his case if he hadn't been a Mexican American he could have been a superstar.
Edward G. Robinson is perfect as Ice Pick. An aside: Robinson worked at the Hollywood Canteen in WW2 where only servicemen were allowed in. It was entirely staffed by Hollywood stars. My father and his 2 army buddies so hit it off with their waiter Edward G. Robinson at lunch that he invited them to his mansion for dinner. Hopefully it wasn't soylent green.
I would only disagree with your choice of Bob Hope as Mac, someone who can be manipulated and taken advantage of, as Hope was generally the one who manipulated others. However the great character actor William Bendix would be perfect in the role.
Bendix could also work as Luther Gillis but I prefer Leo Gorcey.
Mrs. Higgins, what would you think of Paul Robeson as TC? He had the physical presence and the man could sing(it's driving me crazy but in what episode does TC sing while working on his chopper?).
How about Aldo Ray as Magnum's step father? With his bulk and good looks he is a much better fit in the role than the seriously miscast Pat Hingle, who could never have been a physical threat once TM
started maturing, or have had a chance at seducing and winning the love of TM's mom(1950's sex symbol Gwen Verndon). I mentioned physical threat as I believe the subtext strongly suggests "Frank" beat Thomas, else why TM's strong reaction and unwillingness to forgive?
Anyway Mrs. H, great thread.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#6 Post by marlboro »

This page lists some of the episodes where T.C. sings:

http://magnum-mania.com/Lists/Episode_Music.html

Oh, and you mixed up Pat Hingle with David Huddleston. Which is funny, because people usually confuse Huddleston with Jeff Bridges...

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:Mrs. Higgins,
I really like your post. Gilbert Roland is an inspired choice as Magnum(not unlike his role in Underwater). He could do it all and though I loathe the professional injustice seekers, it is fair to say that in his case if he hadn't been a Mexican American he could have been a superstar.
Edward G. Robinson is perfect as Ice Pick. An aside: Robinson worked at the Hollywood Canteen in WW2 where only servicemen were allowed in. It was entirely staffed by Hollywood stars. My father and his 2 army buddies so hit it off with their waiter Edward G. Robinson at lunch that he invited them to his mansion for dinner. Hopefully it wasn't soylent green.
I would only disagree with your choice of Bob Hope as Mac, someone who can be manipulated and taken advantage of, as Hope was generally the one who manipulated others. However the great character actor William Bendix would be perfect in the role.
Bendix could also work as Luther Gillis but I prefer Leo Gorcey.
Mrs. Higgins, what would you think of Paul Robeson as TC? He had the physical presence and the man could sing(it's driving me crazy but in what episode does TC sing while working on his chopper?).
How about Aldo Ray as Magnum's step father? With his bulk and good looks he is a much better fit in the role than the seriously miscast Pat Hingle, who could never have been a physical threat once TM
started maturing, or have had a chance at seducing and winning the love of TM's mom(1950's sex symbol Gwen Verndon). I mentioned physical threat as I believe the subtext strongly suggests "Frank" beat Thomas, else why TM's strong reaction and unwillingness to forgive?
Anyway Mrs. H, great thread.
Thanks for sharing the Edward G. Robinson story. My dad is a WWII vet. I love hearing stories like that. He was in Hawaii on his way to Saipan and met Cesar Romero just walking down the street.

I totally forgot about William Bendix. He'd make a great Mac. He was great in Wake Island. I went with Rex Ingram rather than Robeson because I thought Ingram was more of a renaissance man. He earned a medical degree in 1919, which was rare at the time. I hear Robeson and I immediately think of "show boat". I can visualize TC singing but the specific episode escapes me too.

Aldo Ray is another great pick. He indeed would be great as Magnum's step-dad. I've always enjoyed his films. Real tough guy. My pick would be Jack Holt.

Some other characters I was thinking about...

Lord Binkie: Ronald Colman

Brig. Alastair Ffolkes: Herbert Marshall

I'm a Boxley Girl....

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#8 Post by marlboro »

For Brig. Ffolks, I think I'd go with C. Aubrey Smith. He's the most British person I've ever seen, I think.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

marlboro wrote:This page lists some of the episodes where T.C. sings:

http://magnum-mania.com/Lists/Episode_Music.html

Oh, and you mixed up Pat Hingle with David Huddleston. Which is funny, because people usually confuse Huddleston with Jeff Bridges...
Thanks for the TC link Marlboro, you da man.
Oh and thank you for pointing out it was David Huddleston as Magnum's stepdad. A nice actor, but I still maintain he is probably the worst bit of casting in the entire series run. There is no way on earth that with his looks and personality he seduces/marries Magnum's mom, as portrayed by 1950's ingenue Gwen Verdon(often credited with having the best legs on the Broadway stage), as well as being able to terrorize TM. A teenage TM is not taking any beatings from a soft Huddleston.
I think the writers might deserve some blame too, "Frank" as written is a clunker who just doesn't belong in the Magnum universe.
By the way Marlboro, maybe I am being Mr.Thicky, but are you kidding about people confusing Huddleston with Jeff Bridges? Beau Bridges perhaps.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#10 Post by marlboro »

They were both in The Big Lebowski. The plot concerned some kidnappers confusing Huddleston with Jeff Bridges.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

marlboro wrote:They were both in The Big Lebowski. The plot concerned some kidnappers confusing Huddleston with Jeff Bridges.
Hi Marlboro,
Good God, I am Mister Thicky(slapping my forehead). Great flick, and nice bit of wit on your part.
I wonder who Mrs. Higgins would cast as Lebowski?

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
marlboro wrote:They were both in The Big Lebowski. The plot concerned some kidnappers confusing Huddleston with Jeff Bridges.
Hi Marlboro,
Good God, I am Mister Thicky(slapping my forehead). Great flick, and nice bit of wit on your part.
I wonder who Mrs. Higgins would cast as Lebowski?
Oh, I'd have to go with Robert Mitcham as The Dude...

I'm a Boxley Girl....

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

From Innocence A Broad: Judy Holliday and Broderick Crawford as Rita Parker and Joe Hatten. Very similar to their characters in Born Yesterday (1950).

Alan Hale Sr. as Mr. White Death, Earl Gianelli

I'm a Boxley Girl....

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#14 Post by marlboro »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:
Higgins: Claude Rains

Father Paddy?

A young Bette Davis would have made an interesting "Woman on the Beach."

p.s. I wonder, could John Wayne do a Clyde Kusatsu impersonation?

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Mad Dogs and Englishmen

Actually, it was "The Last Outpost" (1935)
I'm a Boxley Girl....