The Pilgrimage ..... it's happening

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Pilgrimage ..... it's happening

#76 Post by KENJI »

ConchRepublican wrote:
KENJI wrote:Fat Jack is correct with the sunset comment. A better place to see the sunset would be around Waikiki.
If Mrs. C still wants to go to the tidal pool for sunset then pick a day where the tides work as you will get wet if it's high.
I think it's great she wants to go and like you said, why argue. Have fun!!!!
I figure we'll be seeing sunsets every night at Ko Olina, it may be nice to end MagDay2 with a sunset at the Estate, mountain blocked or no.
Sounds like a plan - ENJOY!!!!!

Rands
Rear Admiral

#77 Post by Rands »

Conch;

The Valley of the Temples is incredible! I don't think I've found a more peaceful place on Oahu. The Temple is at the end of a "canyon", and it seems the noise of modern life doesn't get back to the Temple. Make sure you have your camera, as the imagery can't be described with words. Also, the Byodo-in Temple makes a wonderful Christmas Card photo, as almost everyone will recognize it.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Hi Conch,

You might want to skip the shark cage dive :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czj6EQITu1Y

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by KENJI »

That was one lucky diver there! I'm sure the wet suit was wet on the inside after that encounter.

I would still do the shark dive Conch.....one big difference is they don't feed the sharks in Hawaii which caused the frenzy in the first place. There was no sign of aggression when we were in the cage and you feel really safe in there. Getting back to the feeding part......I'm sure they casually drop a few bits of tuna overboard as we leave so they are still around for the next group, but they are not suppose too. :wink: :wink:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by Steve »

My second favorite destination behind our trip to The Estate was to Sharks Cove on the North Shore. It's free and when we discovered it during the week there was plenty of parking and few other folks there besides us. If you catch it at the right time the waves splash up over the lava rocks that form the outside ring of the cove making it look like mini waterfalls. The snorkeling is great with many sea turtles, fish and an occasional small reef shark............
http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com/sharks_cove.html

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by 308GUY »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Hi Conch,

Is that the opposite of a show "jumping the shark"? :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

In case you're up for a KKC Beach Bar sunrise....here's a photo from yesterday morning, 11/9/16, posted by a long-time resident who takes daily pre-dawn walks there........

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#83 Post by ConchRepublican »

OK, we're getting close! We have a rough itinerary put together . . .

Day 1 - arrive around 3:30. Get settled in at Aulani, dinner, crash
Day 2 - Magnum Day (The Estate, Makai Research pier, Makapu'u Point Lighthouse Trail - Thomas says goodbye to Michelle, Kona Brewery - lunch, Waialae Beach Park - KK Club beach bar location)
Day 3 - Kayak tour and relax day
Day 4 - Pearl Harbor
Day 5 - Helo Tour (Paradise Helicopters "Magnum Experience"!!) and another Magnum Day (Byodo Inn) maybe Dole plantation on the way to Paradise Helicopters which is out of Turtle Bay on the North Shore. Maybe check out Agatha's house and neighborhood, maybe back to the Estate for sunset low tide.
Day 6 - Relax day, evening Luau dinner
Day 7 - Manoa Valley Water fall and forest hike, Dukes for sunset and dinner
Day 8 - Late flight, arriving home the next AM

Dinners planned are: Ama'Ama at Aulani, the Fish House at Four Seasons and Monkeypod Kitchen. May try to squeeze in Roy's as well. Trying to strike a balance between "Oh my God, Hawai'i!!!!" and relaxing beachside.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

ConchRepublican

#84 Post by ConchRepublican »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Hi Conch,

Yeah . . . not gonna happen!!! I feel no need to hang with sharks. I don't want them in my living room, I'll stay out of their kitchen.
Steve wrote:My second favorite destination behind our trip to The Estate was to Sharks Cove on the North Shore. It's free and when we discovered it during the week there was plenty of parking and few other folks there besides us. If you catch it at the right time the waves splash up over the lava rocks that form the outside ring of the cove making it look like mini waterfalls. The snorkeling is great with many sea turtles, fish and an occasional small reef shark............
http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com/sharks_cove.html
I may do some sightseeing up there while we're by Turtle Bay for the tour. It's all about what time we hit the road. It's a hour from Aulani and the Dole plantation is on the way. Not sure if Dole is really worth it but . . .
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:In case you're up for a KKC Beach Bar sunrise....here's a photo from yesterday morning, 11/9/16, posted by a long-time resident who takes daily pre-dawn walks there........

That is all kinds of beautiful!!
CoziTV Superfan spot

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by Steve »

ConchRepublican wrote:OK, we're getting close! We have a rough itinerary put together . . .

Day 2 - Magnum Day (The Estate, Makai Research pier, Makapu'u Point Lighthouse Trail - Thomas says goodbye to Michelle, Kona Brewery - lunch, Waialae Beach Park - KK Club beach bar location)
Day 4 - Pearl Harbor
Day 5 - Helo Tour (Paradise Helicopters "Magnum Experience"!!) and another Magnum Day (Byodo Inn) maybe Dole plantation on the way to Paradise Helicopters which is out of Turtle Bay on the North Shore. Maybe check out Agatha's house and neighborhood, maybe back to the Estate for sunset low tide.

Dinners planned are: Ama'Ama at Aulani, the Fish House at Four Seasons and Monkeypod Kitchen. May try to squeeze in Roy's as well. Trying to strike a balance between "Oh my God, Hawai'i!!!!" and relaxing beachside.
I found the Dole Plantation tour a waste of time. You can always stop and pickup a pineapple ice cream creation of some type since the gift shop is right off of the parking lot and continue on your way. Man, I think I am getting as excited as you and your wife........... are.........

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#86 Post by KENJI »

Steve wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:OK, we're getting close! We have a rough itinerary put together . . .

Day 4 - Pearl Harbor

I found the Dole Plantation tour a waste of time. You can always stop and pickup a pineapple ice cream creation of some type since the gift shop is right off of the parking lot and continue on your way. Man, I think I am getting as excited as you and your wife........... are.........
Hi Conch,
With it being your first time to the islands I would pop into the Dole Plantation.....yes it is a tourist trap, but they have everything pineapple there (keychains, pens, cups, etc., etc.) and also have fun maze (if you have the time) https://www.doleplantation.com/worlds-largest-maze/ ...even if you spend ten minutes looking around as least you can say you saw it, plus you will be passing it anyway.
Where are you doing your kayak tour and to where..... (Lanakai/The Mokes)??
Don't forget to stop in for a shave ice at Matsumotos http://matsumotoshaveice.com/. There are some fun surf shops in that area too....have fun exploring!

ConchRepublican

#87 Post by ConchRepublican »

Steve wrote:I found the Dole Plantation tour a waste of time. You can always stop and pickup a pineapple ice cream creation of some type since the gift shop is right off of the parking lot and continue on your way. Man, I think I am getting as excited as you and your wife........... are.........
KENJI wrote:Hi Conch,
With it being your first time to the islands I would pop into the Dole Plantation.....yes it is a tourist trap, but they have everything pineapple there (keychains, pens, cups, etc., etc.) and also have fun maze (if you have the time) https://www.doleplantation.com/worlds-largest-maze/ ...even if you spend ten minutes looking around as least you can say you saw it, plus you will be passing it anyway.
Where are you doing your kayak tour and to where..... (Lanakai/The Mokes)??
Don't forget to stop in for a shave ice at Matsumotos http://matsumotoshaveice.com/. There are some fun surf shops in that area too....have fun exploring!
I agree with both of you . . . I figure it's a tourist trap and wouldn't go out of my way to see it, but since it's along the way my Little Voice is saying "maybe for a reason, how bad could it be?". It think it will all depend on how the day shakes out, if time is pressing, oh well.

As for the kayak tour, you nailed it Kenji. Start at Lanikai Beach and then paddle to the Mokulua Islands.
https://resorts.disney.go.com/aulani-ha ... ayak-tour/

I'll need to check Rubber Chicken's guide (which has been downloaded to my phone already) for Magnum locations nearby!
CoziTV Superfan spot

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#88 Post by KENJI »

Hi Conch,

I've done that excursion to the Mokes and enjoyed it.
The day we went was bit choppy and windy so heading out was a bit of a workout, coming back in was a breeze.
Try an avoid the reefs the best you can....some just pop up at the last second and can be difficult to miss.....just depends on the conditions on the day.
Landing at the Mokes was highly entertaining that day as people not timing the waves well ended up in the drink.
FYI you can only tour one of the islands (the one to the left-Moku Nui) the other is completely protected. The one you will visit only needs a day permit which will be included in your package. Quite a few birds nest out there so you will see nests tucked in many of the nooks and crannies that the island has to offer. There is a great photo op on the right side of the island.....from the beach head to the right until you come across a large deep pool, roughly the size of a hot tub and take a pic in it.....you might get the odd wave splashing you, but still a fun shot. You can't go completely around the island (safely that is) so you will explore to the right and then backtrack back to the kayaks and then go the left. Also bring some sort of foot wear if you have soft feet....easier to explore that way.

I'm sure Mrs. C. will enjoy the Dole Plantation.....you will be on Hawaiian time then so take it in for 10 minutes, stretch your legs and if it doesn't float your boat then off you go. :wink:

Have fun!

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#89 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Hello Conch,

just my personal opinion, but whenever I am on the island, there is not a single day, that I've NOT been to Pahonu and swimming in the tidal pool.

The place is simply magical and it would be a waste being there only once.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by eagle »

Wow, Conch, that looks like a really fun trip. Like others, I am very excited for you, and I look forward to seeing your pics!