The Pilgrimage ..... it's happening

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: The Pilgrimage ..... it's happening

#61 Post by J.J. Walters »

ConchRepublican wrote:We'll be staying at Disney's Aulani right by the Marriott Ko Olina in December it looks beautiful over there!

It's good to have a partner who puts up with our little vices, they could be much worse! I think Mrs. Conch is excited to see my face as I am to be going there.

I am going to be leaning heavily on Rubber Chicken's guide and Google Earth. Every once in a while I test my phone to make sure it works and when the Earth spins, and all those yellow pin drops appear, I get this little grin . . . :twisted:
That is so awesome, Conch! That is a nice place to stay. And you're right next to Ko Olina Beach Resort where they filmed the Higgins/Kam Chung finale in The Last Page! I hope you have a wonderful, glorious time and make lots of memories. Must post some pics when you get back. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Turkey
Admiral

#62 Post by Turkey »

Awesome, enjoy the trip, very, very cool :magnum: :magnum: :magnum:
Make it two weeks.

Rands
Rear Admiral

#63 Post by Rands »

Conch:

Too bad we'll be departing before you arrive. We'll be at the Marriott Beach Club for 12 days, suffering in Tropical Paradise.

As to your on Island itinerary, if you wish to see the Pearl Harbor Memorial https://pearlharboroahu.com/ there is a discount for military and veterans. Proof of service is required, DD-214 , or Military ID Card.

And, as JJ stated, you'll be very close to the filming location of Higgins and Cam Chungs finale from The Last Page, and the beach scenes from Rapture. The scene from Rapture, is where my wife and I were married. It is a beautiful location, and I have spent more than a few days there. http://magnum-mania.com/images/6_11_r_full.jpg

Rands
Rear Admiral

#64 Post by Rands »

Conch:

I didn't finish my thoughts about where to eat near the Aulani. The Ko'Olina http://koolina.com/experiences/dining/ has more than several eateries to try that are several restaurants that are anywhere from excellent to not so good. Roy's has an excellent restaurant a reasonable walk from the Aulani. If you haven't eaten at Roy's, the atmosphere and food are wonderful, and something you should enjoy at least once. I have ordered the sesame seed encrusted, seared Ahi tuna, which is incredible.

For something quick, when you don't have much time try the ABC Market across the main boulevard. ABC has several local items such as Spam Musabis, a Hawaiian adaptation of a Japanese rice and fish dish. I was skeptical at first, but they are very enjoyable. ABC also has Mohicko Chicken, and Korean Chicken, again both enjoyable. The Ko'Olina Hawaiian Barbecue isn't bad either, specializing in "plate" type meals. There food is very tasty, and served with a great deal of rice. The only place I really didn't care for was Just Tacos. Living outside of Los Angeles, I've become quite picky about quality Mexican food, and Just Tacos isn't it.

As your from the North East, there is an excellent Italian restaurant to give your vacation a change of pace. Assagio is in Kapolei, not far from the Aulani off on H-1, exit 1B. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... awaii.html Of course, you may be spoiled on Italian!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#65 Post by ConchRepublican »

I have read a lot insinuating there's a lot of petty theft on the island, is that something to be concerned about when visiting the Estate and say the Makapu'u Point hike?

Also, anyone ever do any helicopter tours?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by KENJI »

Hi Conch,

I wouldn't been too concerned about it........anywhere you go there is crime.....it's just comes down to common sense.......don't leave anything of value in the car and it will never become an issue. I've been to both of the places that you mentioned and never had a problem.....I left the car unlocked too......don't want to deal with broken windows etc. while I'm on vacation. Let them have a snoop if they want.

I've done a few helicopter tours on Maui and Oahu.....it's definitely a fun experience the first time. I'll be honest, one of the times I went up, I saw just as much when we flew in on the plane. Don't get me wrong, if you've never gone up before then go do it....it's a neat feeling hovering just above the ground and then flying off!! I think you should go up in one of the Island Hopper choppers that a few of our other members have gone up in......no doors would be even better.
I've taken pics of the chopper that is located at Turtle Bay and they were very nice about it.....walked right up to it. Price out both companies and go from there.
I know the theme song that will be playing in your head while your up there!!!
Enjoy!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by Steve »

Now understand the last time I went was over 7 years ago, but I rented a Jeep to get around the Island, had the top down everywhere we visited and never had a problem with theft. Of course we took any valuables with us when we parked. If you or your wife are worried might I suggest biting the bullet and purchasing something that shows you are from Chicago, maybe something with the Cubs emblem and a gun and watch folks cross the street :D

ConchRepublican

#68 Post by ConchRepublican »

Rands wrote:Conch:

I didn't finish my thoughts about where to eat near the Aulani. The Ko'Olina http://koolina.com/experiences/dining/ has more than several eateries to try that are several restaurants that are anywhere from excellent to not so good. Roy's has an excellent restaurant a reasonable walk from the Aulani. If you haven't eaten at Roy's, the atmosphere and food are wonderful, and something you should enjoy at least once. I have ordered the sesame seed encrusted, seared Ahi tuna, which is incredible.

For something quick, when you don't have much time try the ABC Market across the main boulevard. ABC has several local items such as Spam Musabis, a Hawaiian adaptation of a Japanese rice and fish dish. I was skeptical at first, but they are very enjoyable. ABC also has Mohicko Chicken, and Korean Chicken, again both enjoyable. The Ko'Olina Hawaiian Barbecue isn't bad either, specializing in "plate" type meals. There food is very tasty, and served with a great deal of rice. The only place I really didn't care for was Just Tacos. Living outside of Los Angeles, I've become quite picky about quality Mexican food, and Just Tacos isn't it.

As your from the North East, there is an excellent Italian restaurant to give your vacation a change of pace. Assagio is in Kapolei, not far from the Aulani off on H-1, exit 1B. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... awaii.html Of course, you may be spoiled on Italian!
Thanks Rands!! I'm putting together a spreadsheet with our plans and will be using that dining link. So far we plan on having dinner at least the first night at Ama Ama in Aulani as well as hitting there buffet later in the week. On MagDay1 we're driving over to Pahonu early for morning low tide then hitting spots along the south side of the island figuring on stopping at the Kona Brewery Pub for lunch, dinner is one of those "estate dinner" excursions, it looked interesting. We're also doing a luau (I have to, at least once) on New Years Eve. It's on property so we don't have to worry about traveling and then it's off to "Duke's on Sunday" to catch Henry Kapona after a waterfall hike.

MagDay2 will probably follow Pearl Harbor day and aside from Byodo-In and Agatha's neighborhood much is still up in the air. Oh, Mrs. Conch wants to go back to Pahonu for sunset, which is cool .....

I think Roys will definitely be in our plans. :-)
CoziTV Superfan spot

ConchRepublican

#69 Post by ConchRepublican »

J.J. Walters wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:We'll be staying at Disney's Aulani right by the Marriott Ko Olina in December it looks beautiful over there!

It's good to have a partner who puts up with our little vices, they could be much worse! I think Mrs. Conch is excited to see my face as I am to be going there.

I am going to be leaning heavily on Rubber Chicken's guide and Google Earth. Every once in a while I test my phone to make sure it works and when the Earth spins, and all those yellow pin drops appear, I get this little grin . . . :twisted:
That is so awesome, Conch! That is a nice place to stay. And you're right next to Ko Olina Beach Resort where they filmed the Higgins/Kam Chung finale in The Last Page! I hope you have a wonderful, glorious time and make lots of memories. Must post some pics when you get back. :)
Thanks JJ! It's all starting to sink in, and it is indeed awesome.

I will be taking MANY pictures and, if I can figure it out, maybe I'll update the site with video. :magnum:
CoziTV Superfan spot

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by KENJI »

Hi again Conch,

I've gone to the Paradise Cove Luau and enjoyed it, PLUS it's really close to where you are staying.

https://www.paradisecove.com/

Luau Louie's is not bad either, just get someone else to start your car! :wink:

Fat Jack
Captain

#71 Post by Fat Jack »

ConchRepublican wrote: Oh, Mrs. Conch wants to go back to Pahonu for sunset, which is cool .....
Sounds like a fantastic trip, Conch! One thing to point out, and I'm no expert, but I think sunset at Pahonu is hidden by the Ko'olaus? If you're there just to be there at sunset and don't mind not seeing the sun setting, then ignore this...but I think if you want a view of the sun going down it will be blocked. Maybe others here have had a sunset experience there? I've heard the sunrise behind Rabbit Island is absolutetely breathtaking....although you'd have to get up early for the drive from Ko Olina and you probably won't want to attempt the commute traffic on a weekday. :shock:

ConchRepublican

#72 Post by ConchRepublican »

Fat Jack wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote: Oh, Mrs. Conch wants to go back to Pahonu for sunset, which is cool .....
Sounds like a fantastic trip, Conch! One thing to point out, and I'm no expert, but I think sunset at Pahonu is hidden by the Ko'olaus? If you're there just to be there at sunset and don't mind not seeing the sun setting, then ignore this...but I think if you want a view of the sun going down it will be blocked. Maybe others here have had a sunset experience there? I've heard the sunrise behind Rabbit Island is absolutetely breathtaking....although you'd have to get up early for the drive from Ko Olina and you probably won't want to attempt the commute traffic on a weekday. :shock:

Thanks Fat Jack!

I let her know the Estate is on the sunrise side but she thought it would be cool just to be able to have a sunset in the tidal pool, and who am I to argue!

Sunrise is around 7:05 the first day we're there . . . I doubt we'll be able to get there early enough for sunrise, but being on NY time who knows. We may be up at 5:00 AM and hit the road early. A sunrise at Pahonu would be amazing!!
CoziTV Superfan spot

Fat Jack
Captain

#73 Post by Fat Jack »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Fat Jack wrote:

Thanks Fat Jack!

I let her know the Estate is on the sunrise side but she thought it would be cool just to be able to have a sunset in the tidal pool, and who am I to argue!

Sunrise is around 7:05 the first day we're there . . . I doubt we'll be able to get there early enough for sunrise, but being on NY time who knows. We may be up at 5:00 AM and hit the road early. A sunrise at Pahonu would be amazing!!
If you do make the trek the traffic will be from Ko Olina to town...once you're through Honolulu it should be smooth sailing because you'll be counter-commute. I'm sure sunset will be cool too with the palm tree shadows on the water. SO, SO envious but happy & excited for you! :D

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by KENJI »

Fat Jack is correct with the sunset comment. A better place to see the sunset would be around Waikiki.
If Mrs. C still wants to go to the tidal pool for sunset then pick a day where the tides work as you will get wet if it's high.
I think it's great she wants to go and like you said, why argue. Have fun!!!!

ConchRepublican

#75 Post by ConchRepublican »

KENJI wrote:Fat Jack is correct with the sunset comment. A better place to see the sunset would be around Waikiki.
If Mrs. C still wants to go to the tidal pool for sunset then pick a day where the tides work as you will get wet if it's high.
I think it's great she wants to go and like you said, why argue. Have fun!!!!
I figure we'll be seeing sunsets every night at Ko Olina, it may be nice to end MagDay2 with a sunset at the Estate, mountain blocked or no.
CoziTV Superfan spot