Future of Magnum, P.I. (Aspect Ratio wise?)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumFan
Captain

Future of Magnum, P.I. (Aspect Ratio wise?)

#1 Post by MagnumFan »

I have read that like a lot of shows from the 70s-90s, Magnum was shot on film that was 4:3 in aspect ratio, which accounts for the black bars on the DVDs to look correct on today's 16:9 aspect ratio TVs and PCs. My question is such:

Let's say in 30 years, the common aspect ratio is 24:10 or something...Is there any way for Magnum to escape the fate of being a tiny box in the center of a massive screen; in essence, will there come a time due to aspect ratios that Magnum, PI will be unwatchable?

JungleBird
Commander

Re: Future of Magnum, P.I. (Aspect Ratio wise?)

#2 Post by JungleBird »

Hi,

well, it's true that with 16:9 nowadays you need the black bars in order to have a correct image.
The question is, how far will this evolution go in the future? Personally, I think that there's not going to be a new standard aspect ratio for TV- at least not in the near future.
However, you always have the possibility of zooming in the 4:3 image until the 16:9 (or whatever aspect ratio) screen is completely filled out.
This technique of course has the disadvantage that you'll loose quality and the cropped information from the top and bottom...

All in all, I think we'll sure be able to enjoy our favorite show in the future, too! :magnum:

However, not only for the 'zooming in', it wouldn't be bad to have a Full-HD-resolution release (BluRay): more detail, better quality, and of course this would also mean less 'pixelation' when stretching the image on newer TVs.

I still hope for a remastered BluRay- release to happen -
technically, it's possible as Magnum was shot on 35mm film..

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#3 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Personally, I find it fine to have it zoomed. I don't even notice it and it's just nicer when it fits the whole screen.

A remastered version would be very nice to have. Some of the episodes on the DVDs are noticeably dark when it's clearly a sunny day on Oahu. I bet a good cleaning would bring a lot of life back to those original film reels.

Nevertheless, I very much doubt it would be a good business investment for Universal as most people are just fine with what's out there now. So I won't hold my breath for a blu-ray release!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

MagnumFan
Captain

#4 Post by MagnumFan »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Personally, I find it fine to have it zoomed. I don't even notice it and it's just nicer when it fits the whole screen.

A remastered version would be very nice to have. Some of the episodes on the DVDs are noticeably dark when it's clearly a sunny day on Oahu. I bet a good cleaning would bring a lot of life back to those original film reels.

Nevertheless, I very much doubt it would be a good business investment for Universal as most people are just fine with what's out there now. So I won't hold my breath for a blu-ray release!
Thing is, from what I understand, Magnum was shot on 35mm film (as opposed to videotape which was more common in TV then)...So, if it was rereleased on DVD, if they went back to the original negatives, you could have like, a literal HD re-release and cleanup. It'd look better than it did when it was brand new. I might be wrong, but I've read it was shot on film.

JungleBird
Commander

#5 Post by JungleBird »

Magnum was shot on 35mm film with quite good cameras and lenses, so there still is much more potential as far as image quality/sharpness is concerned. We could get actual, real Full-HD or even a little more out of it..
In fact, an HD version of Magnum already exists! It's 'only' 720p HD(half the resolution of FHD) because the only thing you can find are recordings from TV.
And it also isn't the best remastering ever done (compared to most blurays). But it's still much better than DVD.

Living in Germany, I stumbled across airings on HD-channels and wondered how to get all seasons in this (really much better!) quality. Also colour-correction is way better in these versions (more realistic) than on DVD.
I finally found it somewhere to download (Torrent/Usenet/One-click-hoster...) and am very happy now watching magnum in new sharpness :magnum:

I can post some Screenshots to compare DVD to 720p-TV later...

So, for TV, they've done such an HD- version already (maybe only in Germany?).

P.S.: The german 720p-versions on the web have the english audio track, too :wink:

//edit: Of course, I never would encourage anybody to download something from dubious sources :higgins: 8)