Bridget or Carol?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Rands
Rear Admiral

Bridget or Carol?

#1 Post by Rands »

For all of the male members of the forum (not discounting the lady members), I have to ask the question: Who was more attractive Bridget Archer or Carol Baldwin? As my question concerns the same Magnum PI cast member Kathleen Lloyd, in her different roles, it does not fall into the Ginger vs. Maryann type debate. This is a true apple to apples question, as she played two different characters in Magnum, Bridget Archer and Carol Baldwin.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

Re: Bridget or Carol?

#2 Post by Steve »

Rands wrote:For all of the male members of the forum (not discounting the lady members), I have to ask the question: Who was more attractive Bridget Archer or Carol Baldwin? As my question concerns the same Magnum PI cast member Kathleen Lloyd, in her different roles, it does not fall into the Ginger vs. Maryann type debate. This is a true apple to apples question, as she played two different characters in Magnum, Bridget Archer and Carol Baldwin.

Count one vote for Bridget Archer.....

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by steveadl »

I never found Carol attractive, so would vote for Bridget as well. More likeable character.

Carol was always a little too whiny or sad in most episodes.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Little Garwood »

Bridget. She was a bit pushy but I always disliked how Carol was shoehorned in as one of the gang without really having earned it. Imo Carol typified both Political Correctness as well as managing to embody the 1980s yuppie culture even if it wasn't as upfront and obvious as most other shows would have portrayed her.

Having said that, I really don't dislike Carol! It's more a case of how I felt she was foisted on the audience with her automatically "great" relationship with Higgins, which annoyed me. Maybe that was the point: it was another way to make Thomas look even more immature.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

Carol always annoyed me and I felt any "sexual tension" between her and Thomas was forced, there was no chemistry (except when he turned her down that one night, that was their chemistry!).

I go with Bridget.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Rands
Rear Admiral

#6 Post by Rands »

As the person who started the thread, I too prefer Bridget Archer. Sorry Kathleen, but Bridget was a knock out. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but many of the female guest stars appearing on Magnum PI were incredible, much to the chagrin of my former spouse.

I was in the Army for most of the Magnum period, and it was always wonderful to be home long enough to see a few episodes of Magnum, rather than constant deployments on various remotes sites, in various hell holes. It was always my dream for a couple year posting at Schofield Barracks, enjoying a tropical paradise, and seeing the tropical beauties.

But, life has it's own course, and my desire of a Hawaiian posting never happened. The former is spouse is long gone, and GOD has been good. I have been blessed, with an Asian beauty of Japanese decent, so...I'm "Almost Home". :D

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by 308GUY »

Rands wrote:As the person who started the thread, I too prefer Bridget Archer. Sorry Kathleen, but Bridget was a knock out. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but many of the female guest stars appearing on Magnum PI were incredible, much to the chagrin of my former spouse.

I was in the Army for most of the Magnum period, and it was always wonderful to be home long enough to see a few episodes of Magnum, rather than constant deployments on various remotes sites, in various hell holes. It was always my dream for a couple year posting at Schofield Barracks, enjoying a tropical paradise, and seeing the tropical beauties.

But, life has it's own course, and my desire of a Hawaiian posting never happened. The former is spouse is long gone, and GOD has been good. I have been blessed, with an Asian beauty of Japanese decent, so...I'm "Almost Home". :D
Kathleen Lloyd was always pretty good as an actress....BUT in my opinion, she was much better as Bridget Archer than Carol Baldwin. That's not to say she didn't do a bang up job with that part also, but personally, I would have rather seen Carol continued to be played by Patty McCormick.

There are quite a few here that claim Carol's character "irritated" them, I'm not exactly in that group, but I would have rather seen KL play a recurring part in a different capacity, say Bridget coming back for vacation or even eventually relocating from Cleveland, but as stated, would have much rather seen PM do the Carol role.

If an actor/actress elicits strong feelings from the audience, that, to me, is a sign of a good player. It means they did not do their part "flat" or without emotion. So to me, the reactions concerning Carol are a sign of Kathleen's talent in doing her job. Strictly opinion on my part.

Rands...thank you for your service, a shame you didn't get the Pearl posting while serving. Glad things worked out so you can enjoy life closer to the way it's supposed to be.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by KingKC »

I liked Kathleen Lloyd in both capacities but especially as Carol Baldwin. She added a dimension to the show of the legal system which was missing. It just seems like a private investigator would be involved in criminal legal issues and I don't remember a lot of those before Carol Baldwin came on the scene. Granted she may have been a little whiny at times but everyone on the show had some type of fault.

KingKC

Rands
Rear Admiral

#9 Post by Rands »

308GUY, thank you for your kind words. I actually made to Hawaii after military service for now annual vacations. My first trip was to Oahu, spending a wonderful week at the now former J.W. Marriott I'hilani. This wonderful hotel will reopen this Spring as the Four Seasons Oahu, at Kapolei. In exploring the area, with my then girl friend, now lovely wife, we found an isolated cove, with a beautiful beach. We spent a great deal of time enjoying that location, with my then girlfriend remarking, that would be the place she would want to be married at.

Two years later, we exchanged our vows there with our family and friends. Later, when watching Magnum episode "RAPTURE", did we discover that we were married at the location where RAPTURE was filmed. We try to get back there each year when visiting Hawaii, as it is one of the most peaceful places I have ever been.

http://magnum-mania.com/images/6_11_r_full.jpg

Wilson_MacLeish
Lieutenant

#10 Post by Wilson_MacLeish »

Bridget Archer for sure. Lloyd is way better as Bridget than as Carol, and the Almost Home episode is quite good overall. Magnum PI had a very puzzling habit of featuring overly domineering, and/or stubborn female guest stars that really take over their episodes to the point of almost ruining them.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Wilson_MacLeish wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:19 pm Magnum PI had a very puzzling habit of featuring overly domineering, and/or stubborn female guest stars that really take over their episodes to the point of almost ruining them.
I guess the show was ahead of its time. :lol: That's all you see these days. :(

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#12 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:38 pm I guess the show was ahead of its time. :lol: That's all you see these days. :(
I'm not so sure. The early 80s was exploding with strong female characters. Single moms were everywhere and were starting to make serious money outside the home. All the networks were under pressure to have strong women to attract the female audience so their advertisers could sell them all their crap. Characters like Laura Holt, Maddie Hayes...even Jessica Fletcher.

For the record, my vote is for Bridget. Carol reminds me too much of my aunt, who had the same awful hairdo!

Thanks for reviving this necrothread ;-)
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by eagle »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:09 pm I'm not so sure. The early 80s was exploding with strong female characters. Single moms were everywhere and were starting to make serious money outside the home. All the networks were under pressure to have strong women to attract the female audience so their advertisers could sell them all their crap. Characters like Laura Holt, Maddie Hayes...even Jessica Fletcher.
Oh, Laura Holt. Man, I would love to see Remington Steele again. Unfortunately it's available only on Amazon Prime Video, and I don't have access to that.

Stephanie Zimbalist as Laura Holt is near the top of my list.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#14 Post by Styles Bitchley »

eagle wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:50 pm Oh, Laura Holt. Man, I would love to see Remington Steele again. Unfortunately it's available only on Amazon Prime Video, and I don't have access to that.

In that case, your first episode to review should be "Second Base Steele" from season three.

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:03 pm
eagle wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:50 pm Oh, Laura Holt. Man, I would love to see Remington Steele again. Unfortunately it's available only on Amazon Prime Video, and I don't have access to that.

In that case, your first episode to review should be "Second Base Steele" from season three.

I have never seen Remington Steele for some reason. And the above picture is reason enough to tune in, holy crap! Hard to believe that's 77 Sunset Strip's Stu Bailey's(Efrem Zimbalist) daughter.
I don't understand why the owners of Remington Steele would forfeit all the income streams from selling it around the world, as opposed to just licensing it to Amazon Prime. I thought you'd
want to create new fans and thus markets everywhere you can as opposed to just the one network showing it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Maltese Falcon (1941) -
Wilmer the Gunsel(Elisha Cooke): "Keep on riding me and they’re going to be picking iron out of your liver."
Sam Spade(Humphrey Bogart): "The cheaper the crook, the gaudier the patter."