Famous Director starred in Magnum Season 5

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

bobrobertsxxx
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Famous Director starred in Magnum Season 5

#1 Post by bobrobertsxxx »

In "Murder 101", which I am currently watching, I noticed that a unique name popped up, Tom Shadyac. He plays a stoner student in Magnum. I recognize the name because he is now a famous director who has made like 100 million as a director who lived lavishly but decided to live a simpler life and move into a mobile home in Malibu.

He is a super cool guy. I remember seeing the documentary he made. Anyway kinda interesting....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYtfnONazTU

I Am, a prismatic and probing exploration of our world, what’s wrong with it, and what we can do to make it better, represents Tom Shadyac’s first foray into non-fiction following a career as one of Hollywood’s leading comedy practitioners, with such successful titles as “Ace Ventura,” “Liar Liar,” and “Bruce Almighty” to his credit. I Am recounts what happened to the filmmaker after a cycling accident left him incapacitated, possibly for good. Though he ultimately recovered, he emerged a changed man. Disillusioned with life on the A-list, he sold his house, moved to a mobile home community, and decided to start life anew.

MagnumsGMTMaster
Commander

Re: Famous Director starred in Magnum Season 5

#2 Post by MagnumsGMTMaster »

It's on Netflix. Haven't watched it yet ... but I'm always interested in individual transformations. It's actually the premise of Magnum PI. Magnum is transformed by his experience in Vietnam and we see its aftermath throughout the series.

bobrobertsxxx
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#3 Post by bobrobertsxxx »

Oddly he plays basically the Jeff Spicoli (Fast Times) character in Magnum and now he is pretty hippy-dippy nowadays. He comes across as very selfless but obvs this doesn't always work as others will take advantage of you (see Euro Migrant Problem), but his heart is in the right place. But maybe that is easier to do when you are a millionaire anyway.

Shadyac Google Talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flZfJzsO9yg

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by steveadl »

Nice pick up, I like a lot of the movies he directed.