Favorite scene and favorite episode

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

Re: Favorite scene and favorite episode

#16 Post by No need to know! »

Here is another great one from Tropical Madness. Well the real fun part starts from 1:20. That whole scene is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jccPxC8yO8
Onion´s extra?

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by No need to know! »

Another scene that have stuck with me is the last scene of Double Jeopardy from season 2. Tanaka takes Olivia away and Magnum walks to the window. "Illusion and reality finally came together, and as i always knew deep down inside, illusion never really had a chance."
Can´t really explain why i like that one. It´s just strong.
Onion´s extra?

Magnum's moustache
Lieutenant Commander

#18 Post by Magnum's moustache »

No need to know! wrote:Here is another great one from Tropical Madness. Well the real fun part starts from 1:20. That whole scene is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jccPxC8yO8
I agree! Really, really cool and funny scene 8)
Higgins: Magnum, you are clad only in your undershorts.
Magnum: Of course I am.
Higgins: Even for you I find that just a trifle casual.

{Unless you treat failure as part of the journey, you're never going to get anywhere.} ~ Tom Selleck

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Milton Collins »

My favorite episode: Death and Taxes

Favorite scene: The showdown with Milton from Death and Taxes.

This episode is complete perfection and my most viewed by far. The showdown at the pool is very intense and has some CLASSIC lines from Milton including his infamous "Wise old owl" poem. Just love it!

wes
Lieutenant Commander

#20 Post by wes »

There are actually 2 scenes that I love on the episode Distant Relative. The starting scene where Magnum is trying to get some sleep and Agatha and Higgins are flying model WW2 planes. Magnum comes out and confronts Higgins with hilarious consequences. The other scene is very similar at the very end of the episode.

I have many favorited sciences and episodes but these scenes did give me a laugh.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by steveadl »

I don't know off hand if it would be THE favourite scene, but one of the funniest that always cracks me up is from 'Tropical Madness'

The scene where TM arrives back at the estate and explains about the "midget or dwarf", at around 1:10 at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jccPxC8yO8

I think it's also one of those scenes that you need to be a seasoned fan of the show to truly appreciate to it's fullest extent, knowing the back story between TM and Higgins, and their interactions over the years.

"Out of my way before I run you down and enjoy it!" :lol:

The second would be one of everyone's favourite scenes from "Distant Relative": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDv5kizY8oE

"OH MY GOD!"

Orrymain
Lieutenant Commander

#22 Post by Orrymain »

It's so tough to pick one from eight seasons worth of show. I'm a bit with those who say there are types of scenes. I think perhaps I have more favorite moments than scenes.

For example, I love it when one of the dogs is shot (sorry, I haven't seen it in a while and don't recall if it's Zeus or Apollo, though I'm thinking Zeus), and Magnum tells him at the end that he's glad he's okay. I'm a big lover of those dogs and their interplay, so I do tend to enjoy their scenes a lot. I like it when Magnum has to take care of them. I do love the episode where Higgins is hurt and the dogs become like glue to Magnum and at the end, Thomas has to maneuver to get them back to Higgens.

I love the Lily moments when Magnum figures out that she is his daughter and in the finale when he sees her again and says out loud that he's her father.

And, yes, what's Magnum without those great Higgens moments. I always prefer the more serious ones, when their games stop. Very early on the two can tell when it's not the game that is important. I love those.

Finally, the last scene of Limbo, when Magnum ignores Higgens and walks away. That was a wonderful ending for the series and it's almost sad that they came back for another year because, except for Lily's return, Limbo had the better ending. Other than Lily, the one good thing about the ultimate ending was just Magnum growing up again. He'd been serious with the navy and the war, then he did a decade of being youthful and crazy, and finally he'd grown up and was a dad with responsibilities. That was good to see ... but Limbo was still the better ending, soundtrack and all.

bobrobertsxxx
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#23 Post by bobrobertsxxx »

I liked all the episodes with Luther Gillis, private detective.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by KingKC »

I just ran across this topic. A favorite scene may be harder to come up with than a favorite episode. I chose Lest We Forget as my number one episode when I listed my top ten elsewhere (and it still is the most memorable for me) but there are a lot more scenes than there are episodes. Maybe the most memorable scene for me was in the episode Beauty Knows No Pain where TM and Barbara (Marcia Wallace) are riding in the back of the bus and she offers him part of a sandwich to save money. I laugh and roll my eyes every time I think of that episode and scene. I also got a kick out of TM turning the bicycle around against the flow of traffic in the Iron Man contest when he figured out the case in that episode. In the Curse of the King Kamehameha Club the ending scene where Moki (?) looks at the camera and a red glint forms in his eye signifying Kahunas do exist was also memorable. I will probably change my mind about all of these tomorrow but what the heck! LOL

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#25 Post by ConchRepublican »

KingKC wrote:In the Curse of the King Kamehameha Club the ending scene where Moki (?) looks at the camera and a red glint forms in his eye signifying Kahunas do exist was also memorable. I will probably change my mind about all of these tomorrow but what the heck! LOL
I believe that was Charlie. Moki worked at the club.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

KingKC wrote:In the Curse of the King Kamehameha Club the ending scene where Moki (?) looks at the camera and a red glint forms in his eye signifying Kahunas do exist was also memorable. I will probably change my mind about all of these tomorrow but what the heck! LOL
I'm surprised they didn't bring Charlie back, he was a pretty cool character.

I gotta give mention to "A Girl Named Sue", when Magnum finds what looks like William Wainwright's will in a book but it turns out to just be a flyer for his antiques store. It's the way Magnum uses his facial expressions to rub his discovery in Susan's face. :lol:

http://thechickinthemiddle.tumblr.com/post/38343582184

(Gif'fed it :P)

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Seaver41 »

oh boy....talk about a tough topic.......there's no way I can mention only one. The most dramatic had to be the end of "...Sunrise".......firing on Ivan and then you were stuck for a week till the next episode. You had no clue back then how it would be handled. That was a powerful moment in the series.

who didn't like the times he broke the 4th wall.......that look of "really?" 'Mac's Back'.....the end where it's the ghost of the real Mac......and then he realizes it......awesome.

'Home from the Sea'....the narration at the end and the bugle playing as we all realize he makes it, but dad did not. Powerful moment/ending - something this show was far advanced in.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by eagle »

Seaver41 wrote:who didn't like the times he broke the 4th wall
Yeah, I really loved that too. Wasn't Magnum one of the first shows to do that?

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Seaver41 »

it's actually been around a long time.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#30 Post by ConchRepublican »

George Burns used to make a point of talking to the audience about Gracie during the Burns & Allen Show.

That would be viewed a little differently though I guess since it wasn't a scripted and filmed drama . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04