Series finale chart

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

Series finale chart

#1 Post by Frodoleader »

Noticed this story on Slate. The MPI series finale ranks pretty high. Looks like it ranks at #11 all time.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... aking.html
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Series finale chart

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

I'm glad to see How I Met Your Mother so low.

That finale really annoyed me and I think undermined the whole premise of the series.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Turkey
Admiral

#3 Post by Turkey »

Nice to see Monk made gains - I would have dragged Buffy down a bit and I'm in agreement with Futurama, from memory.

Great to see Magnum has such a high episode average.
Make it two weeks.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Steve »

Sons of Anarchy was rated positive but everyone I know that watched the show hated the finale. St. Elsewhere isn't on the chart and in my opinion the best show endings of all time were Newhart followed by St. Elsewhere..............

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

What an odd chart. It took me a little bit to figure out how to interpret it. A ton more people tuned in to the Magnum finale relative to the other final season episodes, that's for sure. Man, Dexter's finale completely bombed! That's a bummer.

Depending on what list you look at, Magnum's series finale is still the sixth or seventh most watch series finale of all-time! 50.7 million viewers! 32% household share, 48% audience share! Staggering numbers! :shock:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

J.J. Walters wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:16 pm What an odd chart. It took me a little bit to figure out how to interpret it. A ton more people tuned in to the Magnum finale relative to the other final season episodes, that's for sure. Man, Dexter's finale completely bombed! That's a bummer.
Depending on what list you look at, Magnum's series finale is still the sixth or seventh most watch series finale of all-time! 50.7 million viewers! 32% household share, 48% audience share! Staggering numbers! :shock:
I agree. It's much worse than odd, though.
My father edited/ran a magazine and he would have berated any supposed pro who presented such dreary looking, poorly designed graphics.
The information should leap off the page at a glance, with stark colors denoting the different threads of data.
Think about how many people thought this chart acceptable and then okayed it before being published.
Engineers and highly paid consultants all gave a thumbs up to the Edsel as well.
My father's point was that perceived wisdom ain't necessarily common sense.
Anyway, as J.J. noted, the Magnum finale scored amazing numbers, like MASH it was water cooler talk where I worked the next day and beyond.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#7 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:32 am
J.J. Walters wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:16 pm What an odd chart. It took me a little bit to figure out how to interpret it. A ton more people tuned in to the Magnum finale relative to the other final season episodes, that's for sure. Man, Dexter's finale completely bombed! That's a bummer.
I agree. It's much worse than odd, though.
My father edited/ran a magazine and he would have berated any supposed pro who presented such dreary looking, poorly designed graphics.
The information should leap off the page at a glance, with stark colors denoting the different threads of data.
Think about how many people thought this chart acceptable and then okayed it before being published.
Engineers and highly paid consultants all gave a thumbs up to the Edsel as well.
My father's point was that perceived wisdom ain't necessarily common sense.
Anyway, as J.J. noted, the Magnum finale scored amazing numbers, like MASH it was water cooler talk where I worked the next day and beyond.
I missed this six years ago somehow, but it’s very interesting.

It seems it’s just a compilation of data from IMDB done by a user with an app called GitHub. It’s not anything done by Slate. Do they even have a hard copy? One of their culture writers likely found the charts and wrote the quick piece with the link. Online content has very different standards than the magazine hard copies of the past. Many of those “slicks” were visually beautiful. Times change, I suppose. Of course, without the online content, we likely never would have seen such data.