Is there now or was there ever actually a british district..

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

Is there now or was there ever actually a british district..

#1 Post by The Birdman »

In hawaii? I have seen several episodes where Higgins gos to some sort of "Wee Britian" (from the show arrested development) type area on oahu. I just finished up 5:12 "Professor Johnathan Higgins" where at the end he takes everybody to some bar called "Bit of Britian". Was there really a british community like that in real life?
Uh PHRASING!!!!

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

Re: Is there now or was there ever actually a british distri

#2 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Captain James Cook was the first European to visit Hawaii on January 18, 1778 and named the islands "Sandwich Islands" in honor of John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, who was one of his sponsors as the First Lord of the Admiralty. This name was in use until the 1840s, when the local name "Hawaii" gradually began to take precedence.

The Union Jack also appears on the Flag of the State of Hawaii.

Source

Kalai-pahoa
Captain

#3 Post by Kalai-pahoa »

Curiously Higgins is on the board of the exclusive 'King Kamehameha Club', named in honor of the man held responsible for Captain Cook's death.

Source
I know what you're thinking, but this time you're wrong.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

The Birdman wrote:In hawaii? I have seen several episodes where Higgins gos to some sort of "Wee Britian" (from the show arrested development) type area on oahu. I just finished up 5:12 "Professor Johnathan Higgins" where at the end he takes everybody to some bar called "Bit of Britian". Was there really a british community like that in real life?
Hi,
There are expatriate groups of British, or for that matter Americans, all around the world. In Kearny, NJ there are a lot of Scots who work in nearby NYC, they have their own pub, a famous restaurant (and it's not named McDonalds) and sports leagues such as cricket, drawing members from NJ/NYC and environs. Thailand has lots of American Legion posts, as there are decades worth of our servicemen who served there, who decided to stay when their hitch was up, marry a local and live well on their pension. Fort Lee, NJ, across from NYC, has thousands of Japanese citizens with their own schools, the parents working for American branches of Japanese companies.
I wouldn't be surprised if Hawaii has large numbers of expatriate British people too.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

I'm always intrigued by the "islands of ex-pats" if you will.

I always wondered about the full influence of the Brits on the Sandwich Islands and if there were still some undercurrent of the Crown. I never researched it myself though.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#6 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Looks like there's an active Hash House Harriers chapter in Hawaii. This would be a good place to find them!

http://hawaii.gotothehash.net/
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#7 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

I've been off and on the the Hawaiian Islands since the 80's. My ex-wife and children live in Hawaii Kai on Oahu. Other than the Union Jack being part of the state flag I haven't seen much British influence there. I was born and raised in Ireland and we have many of the same dietary habits as the British. I spent a lot of time when I lived on Oahu trying to find Chocolate Hobnobs and mushy peas. If there had been any kind expat community I would have found it. I think that the pompous side of Higgins' character was really charming and funny. The imaginary expat community allowed them to explore that angle.

Magnum:
"Higgins, you're a bigot!"

Higgins:
"Of course! Isn't everyone?!"
Faith and Begorrah!