I'm rebooting 70's - 80's detective shows in e-book form....

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

I'm rebooting 70's - 80's detective shows in e-book form....

#1 Post by Italian Ice »

Hi everyone

I haven't been on this site too often over the last several months, but have certainly been reading the posts and keeping up when I can. So what have I been up to lately besides the usual aspects of daily life?

You all probably know that of all the TV show to movie adaptations to date, they haven't been that great (A-Team, Miami Vice anyone?) and its practically doubtful that a Magnum movie will ever be done with the original case, and if they use anyone else, it may suffer the same fate.

So what I've been doing is, with the help of a few other fans, is writing "tribute/spoof/homage" short story e-books that bring the shows back. The character traits and such are practically the same, but naturally the names have to change as well as a few other details, including the appearance of the characters on, say, the cover of the book.

I have 2 books out already, which are doing ok, but have to promote them. I won't say which TV shows they are just yet, but they're from the same time period as Magnum, with many more on the horizon and I will gladly share them with everyone here as I run promotions to boost their exposure. I'm using a pen name for this niche, because I'm using my real name in my health and wellness niche, because I have a nutritional background and want to be as real as possible.

The e-books will run in a series that goes forward, each book paying tribute to a different show, with cross-overs, recurring villain, cheesy plot lines, and the campiness of what we enjoyed back in the days. To me, this is the ONLY way to give the shows the respects they deserve since nothing much came of them after they went off the normal TV waves. All the fictions name changes will easily be recognized by fans, and even indicated in the introduction to each book, as well as a disclaimer explaining the purpose of the book and its intended use and audience - and just a dose of plain good fun!

So that being said, the names of the characters in rebooting the Magnum series are below and were the most popular ones after doing a poll amongst fellow and local fans, and a lot of them. Let me know what you think and I would be happy to share with all of you each time a new book gets produced. You could post your feedback here or e-mail me at the e-mail below. The names below can still be changed, and if there's a high interest in any other, they will be highly considered.

Thomas Magnum = Tony Wesson
Jonathan Quayle Higgins = Jameson Gayle Hastings (Quinn) was a close 2nd for a middle name)
Theodore "TC" Calvin = Monroe "MC" Colton
Orville 'Rick" Wright = Michael "Mick" Dwight
Robin Masters = Raymond Hawke

Thank you for listening

Michael
thetvdetective@hotmail.com
Last edited by Italian Ice on Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: I'm rebooting 70's - 80's detective shows in e-book form

#2 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Sounds like a fun project! Be sure to keep us updated.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

Nice! I always look forward to the Further Adventures of the Magnum Family.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Italian Ice

#4 Post by Italian Ice »

Thanks guys! Do you like the names?

If anybody has any plot ideas, please share with me and I can make it happen! Any ideas at all, just say so. I figure I'd let you guys know here as you're all big fans.

This can also include other shows from the same era.

Italian Ice

#5 Post by Italian Ice »

Hi, does anyone prefer Higgins character middle name to be "Quinn" or "Gayle" - Gayle may seem like a girls name but its known to be used as a man's name/middle name as well.

Plot lines are in the works.

If anyone wants to see a certain plot, story etc, please don't hesitate to let me know. It will be seriously considered, trust me. :)

A book paying tribute to Remington Steele, Moonlighting, and Simon and Simon have been completed over the last few months and will go live soon. Postings and links to come soon!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#6 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Italian Ice wrote:Hi, does anyone prefer Higgins character middle name to be "Quinn" or "Gayle" - Gayle may seem like a girls name but its known to be used as a man's name/middle name as well.
Neither seem very "Higgins" to me to be honest. Quinn is Irish, I think and Gayle...nah. Jameson is also Irish/Scottish (i.e., son of James). For a staunch Brit like Higgins, I would go for the classics, like Charles, Andrew, William, Jonathan, Nigel, Alastair, James, Richard, etc.

Do you really need to change the names? If so (for legal reasons) maybe just change one of the names and keep the ones we know (e.g., Alastair Higgins). After all, I think the Magnum writers stole his name from Henry Higgins and I doubt they had to pay royalties to the George Bernard Shaw estate!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi guys,

I feel Styles' suggestion to slightly alter the name is a good one. My suggestion is Jonathan Huggins. Remember one of the kids mistakenly referred to JQH as "Huggins" in the Season one episode "Thank heavens for little girls and big ones too" . :higgins: :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Italian Ice

#8 Post by Italian Ice »

Hi
There can easily be legal implications for using the names and such. Changing the names and appearances (like what will be done on the book covers) will have to be done. Characters have the same physical features, but will look different so that they don't look exactly like the original actors. A few other changes will have to be made, however, things like character traits will remain. The names also can't be too close to the original and I also won't be able to "Trademark" existing names, and I'm also looking to trademark the work that I do. I also have 2 other book niches as well, which are even more complicated (i.e.: a Health and Wellness niche) as I have a bit of a nutritional background.

This is because the books are actually going up for sale on Amazon, so thats the other thing. While these are fan based stories, its also something Im doing as a side business as one of my book niches. If anyone has anymore comments, I hope that answers your questions, and I appreciate your comments at any time.

Italian Ice

#9 Post by Italian Ice »

Hi all
Anyone have any further updates/questions/comments/plots they want to see?

Someone sent me a PM on here about a plot idea to start this off and this one below will be the one that starts this series off:

****************************************************************************************************************************************

Wesson P. D. – Pirates, Acrobats, and Lions – Oh My!

Overstepping houseguest, Tony Wesson, earns his room and board once again as a curious parade of interlopers hunt for pirate treasure on the exclusive Hawaiian estate of Hawk’s Roost. The private detective soothes the fears of Jameson Hastings, staunch majordomo for the elusive Raymond Hawke, even as a circus-themed charity event creates havoc in paradise.

Paying tribute to the odd-couple interactions, Ferrari car chases, and first-person narrative of the beloved television show “Magnum, P. I.,” the novella homage Pirates, Acrobats, and Lions – Oh My! is a bright and colorful puzzle only Wesson can complete.
****************************************************************************************************************************************

Italian Ice

#10 Post by Italian Ice »

Ok guys

Here are 3 books me and my colleagues have worked on together over the past few months, with a Magnum novella coming up shortly. Note, I use a pen name in this niche, because I have a wellness niche on Amazon already, because its a general rule of thumb to separate them. But, the name I use is of a real person and a fan of these shows like you are, and he's helping me with suggesting and writing. I also know that someone a few people wanted me to keep the same people names and traits, but then, I'd only be able to post it in limited areas and sites. But tributes can go anywhere, with references to the original content, and even discussing this with a lawyer friend, was suggested.

The books are free on Amazon for Kindle device downloads until the end of the day Wednesday, June 10th. Amazon does allow authors/publishers to post for free every few months in order to allow us to give them out as gifts and such. Also, of if you wish instead, I can send you a PDF instead.

I hope you guys enjoy these and the memories of yesteryear. Please let me know via email at "thetvdetective@hotmail.com" what you think. I'm open to feedback. If you have an Amazon membership and want to review any of these too, let me know. But, before anyone takes any action, or if you have any questions, I would like to ask that you e-mail me first. I will gladly chat with you and answer any questions you have.

For the upcoming Magnum book, and with JJ's permission, I can put a link to this website on the back too.

So, please enjoy, and thanks for listening, and for your support.

BOOK 1 - Covington Stone – In Honor of Remington Steele: A Stone Faced Colt
http://www.amazon.com/Covington-Stone-T ... B00KZMRUWE

BOOK 2 - Lunar Eclipsing – In Honor of Moonlighting: Throw Mummy From the Train
http://www.amazon.com/Lunar-Eclipsing-M ... B00VP6XLBS

BOOK 3 - Sutton & Sutton – In Honor of Simon & Simon: Family Finances
http://www.amazon.com/Sutton-Family-Fin ... B00VPRAOO4