Aloha Magnuma- Larry Mannetti's tell all book

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

Re: Aloha Magnuma- Larry Mannetti's tell all book

#16 Post by Mr. Keoki »

I ordered it about 2 years ago through larrymanetti.com and it was signed. Pretty cool. I really enjoyed the book. It's a nice peak behind the curtain.
Mr. Keoki

"He was Hawaiian. I'm not very good with these names, It ended with an oki or lani"

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Little Garwood »

terryfromkerry wrote:Wow! LG,

That's some coincidence. I started reading the book again also and read the very same anecdote before you posted. I feel we are so fortunate Larry wrote the book when he did. His MPI experiences were still fresh at the time. Plus it is a nostalgic time machine visit to the '80's for us MPI maniacs. I also totally agree you can tell how much affection and respect he has for TS. I do hope when TS does his auto biog that he has total recall anecdotes of his MPI era and devotes a big part of the biog to that era.

PS. I am also searching for that elusive Aloha shirt you mentioned in a recent post.
Aloha Magnum must have been written ten years after the show ended. We all know ho memories fade with time, so Larry got his in there just in time. However, a second edition with "new memories" would be most welcome.

The search for that elusive Aloha shirt continues!
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by 308GUY »

Little Garwood wrote:
The search for that elusive Aloha shirt continues!

https://alohafunwear.com/ Worth a shot..... :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Teamringcollector
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#19 Post by Teamringcollector »

[quote="Little Garwood"]Reading Aloha Magnum again after three years. I'd forgotten lots of the funny stories which fill this fun book, like when Selleck left the note in the French Cross gift box stating, "Stolen by Larry Manetti, 1989."

Years ago I purchased from Larry Manetti his French cross gift box with his gold team ring inside. :D

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Kevster »

Teamringcollector wrote:
Little Garwood wrote:Reading Aloha Magnum again after three years. I'd forgotten lots of the funny stories which fill this fun book, like when Selleck left the note in the French Cross gift box stating, "Stolen by Larry Manetti, 1989."

Years ago I purchased from Larry Manetti his French cross gift box with his gold team ring inside. :D
Well... Welcome to forum!

And, with your first post, you lay out a detail like that without a photo of said collectible? Mo goodness, what a brazen act of TROLLage!

A picture of this piece would give you "epic cred" in these parts... Just sayin'

Again. Welcome aboard!
Trust Me!!!

Teamringcollector
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#21 Post by Teamringcollector »

Thanks! Been reading here for a long time. I don't remember how to post a picture so if someone who does would like to for me I can post my e-mail and someone can post for me ?

Thanks!!

Well... Welcome to forum!

And, with your first post, you lay out a detail like that without a photo of said collectible? Mo goodness, what a brazen act of TROLLage!

A picture of this piece would give you "epic cred" in these parts... Just sayin'

Again. Welcome aboard!

NotthatRick
Admiral

#22 Post by NotthatRick »

Teamringcollector wrote:
Little Garwood wrote:Reading Aloha Magnum again after three years. I'd forgotten lots of the funny stories which fill this fun book, like when Selleck left the note in the French Cross gift box stating, "Stolen by Larry Manetti, 1989."

That is very cool! :) Hope to see some pics soon. Welcome aboard!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by 308GUY »

Teamringcollector wrote:Years ago I purchased from Larry Manetti his French cross gift box with his gold team ring inside. :D
When I first started looking at getting a team ring, I emailed Larry and did receive a response, whether it was actually from him, I will never know, but in it, I was quoted a price for two screen worn rings he still had, one was $7,000....the other $5,000!

I thanked him, (or whoever), for getting back to me and just said that was waaaaay outa my league, although I'd love to have one someday. I ended up having a local jeweler make me one that I'm very happy with, after I bought several that are "ok", but after seeing what a real jeweler can do, left something to be desired, although the Shapeways ring designed by Tony (member here) over in Italy, is a very good "bang for the buck" if you do a little "personalizing" or you spring for the best material. Either way, none of them were anywhere close to the $5,000 mark! That price is for owning a "piece of history".....MPI history...but still "history".

Would also like to see pics of what you bought. There was an ad running somewhere back in the 90's I believe, where you could get a reproduction ring in a gift box, I don't think the price was too out of line like $20 - $30 or at least way under $100. I believe there are pictures in the Team Ring thread, and that was what inspired me to write to Larry in the first place, to see if by chance there were any of those left from the promotion.

Let's see the pics when you get a chance. :magnum:

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by KingKC »

My wife ordered a copy for a Christmas gift but when I saw it in the mail I just had to beg to read it immediately and I read it in two days. I was a little surprised at how Larry Manetti was a hot-headed jerk, a troublemaker and so financially irresponsible. I also did not see much mention of Roger Mosely. Every story was fascinating and I heartily recommend it for all Magnum Mania members. It probably should be "required reading."

I was a little disappointed that he did not have anything to say about a lot of the recurring characters such as Kathleen Lloyd (Carol Baldwin), Lance Legault (Buck Green), Kwan Hi Lim (Tanaka), Marta Dubois (Michelle), Gillian Dobb ( Agatha) and Jean Bruce (Maggie Poole). He did mention that he only worked 2-3 days of the 8-10 filming days for each episode so maybe he had very little contact with them. And maybe they steered clear of Larry because of his antics. I might have.

I am sure I will read it over and over again. He did send an autographed picture which was clearly a reproduction and the book was autographed with what looked like an original signature. Remarkably the shipping envelope was addressed by hand (somewhat sloppily) which could have been Larry's handwriting.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by K Hale »

That was also my impression. He said a great deal about Selleck (to the point of worshipfulness), quite a bit about Hillerman, and virtually nothing about Mosely, which I don’t understand because didn’t they share a trailer/dressing room?

I don’t have a very good impression of Manetti, but that’s neither here nor there, I guess.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by KingKC »

K Hale wrote:That was also my impression. He said a great deal about Selleck (to the point of worshipfulness), quite a bit about Hillerman, and virtually nothing about Mosely, which I don’t understand because didn’t they share a trailer/dressing room?

I don’t have a very good impression of Manetti, but that’s neither here nor there, I guess.
They definitely shared a trailer/dressing room and Larry commented that his smoking was clearly not to Roger's liking. I agree that my impression of Manetti dropped but he still played a good role. I guess that is what really counts unless he commits crimes against a person.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by No need to know! »

KingKC wrote: Remarkably the shipping envelope was addressed by hand (somewhat sloppily) which could have been Larry's handwriting.
My thought that aswell. :D
I bought the book in 2010, and i actually still have the shipping envelope. :lol:

I enjoyed the book. Will probably read it again soon.
Onion´s extra?

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by KingKC »

No need to know! wrote:
KingKC wrote: Remarkably the shipping envelope was addressed by hand (somewhat sloppily) which could have been Larry's handwriting.
I bought the book in 2010, and i actually still have the shipping envelope. :lol:

I saved the envelope as well.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by 308GUY »

KingKC wrote:
No need to know! wrote:

I saved the envelope as well.

Geeez.....I thought I was the only one! :geek:

But I suppose the reason behind it....is the same reason we are all here! :magnum:

Hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving! :D

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by eagle »

My parents bought this for me for Christmas last month, and I started reading it this week. They asked me if I wanted a new one, because used ones were much cheaper, and I said that used was fine. Oh well - would have been neat to have the photo and signature. I'm only in the "Chicago to Hollywood" chapter, but so far I am really enjoying it.